Leather Apron: Forging and Abattoir

Ice Hole

The new clothing that came out with Resolute Outfitter has expanded the types of clothing.

PDchRM6.jpg

A new clothing type could be the leather apron and offers protection from forge heat.  Forging can be dangerous and causes personal injury.  Fleece and other synthetic fabrics exposed to high temperature heat should severely damage the clothing and other fabrics could be singed and damaged depending on the exposure during the forging process.

This forge heat mechanic could be expanded so Items such as the gauntlets and work gloves provide a time bonus to forging as opposed to using bare hands. 

An abattoir apron to keep clothing fresh during field dressing kills.  The ground is already painted red and this could extend to clothing.  The gore that would be splattered on clothes during field dressing could attract predators  If clothing could retain scent then an apron offers protection and keeps clothing clean.

Crafting a leather apron should be available using cured leather and gut.

This leather apron idea could be expanded into other areas of utility. 

Damage reduction from attacks.

A wind breaker that extends to the knees but is directional forward facing.  Offers great wind protection with less weight and improved mobility.

Aprons are handy for forging and keeps clothing clean form gore.  Damage reduction and wind protection too but limited to forward facing.

5 hours ago, Mel Guille said:

Interesting idea. Are you imagining that a survivor would be at risk of losing condition if they used the forge without wearing an apron, or just their clothing?

I know this question wasn't addressed to me, but as a blacksmith, I can tell you that there is relatively little risk of personal harm from blacksmithing, and I do it in a t-shirt all the time. But, if you are forge welding and using flux, it definitely does put your clothing at risk, and I always wear an apron when I forge weld. Gloves are not very important as long as they are leather. Blacksmiths typically wear a glove on the hand holding the tongs, but not on the striking (hammer) hand.I personally don't think this would add value to the game, but since I know a thing or two about blacksmithing, I thought I would chime in.

9 hours ago, Mel Guille said:

Interesting idea. Are you imagining that a survivor would be at risk of losing condition if they used the forge without wearing an apron, or just their clothing?

If forging becomes a skill that can be improved than I would think a novice is at greater risk of personal injury when compared to an expert.  Similar to the injury sustained from stepping into a campfire.  An apron would offer protection.

Clothing could burn depending on the player skill level.  No apron and clothing now is at risk.  The player has to choose either risk damaging their clothing or risk personal injury.

Melted plastic clothing causes horrible burns. The molten plastic sticks to the skin and causes further damage.  So if the player is wearing an inner layer that does not melt than this becomes a barrier to the molten plastic reducing personal injury.

The only true value this offers to the game is it adds to the list of things that can kill you in The Long Dark.

Archived