Cabin fever on interloper...

RüdigerNehberg

...is one big pain in the ass! While i think its ok to have it implemented on the other difficulties it really is just aggravating things on interloper in a very stupid and senseless way. And its not as if you would bunker yourself in on interloper anyway. Please just deactivare it or at least  make the reduction of cabin fever risk way more affective. Spending one hour chopping wood at -30° and risking hypothermia reduces the risk about 2%?

Dumbing down... i dunno. Im not complaining about the difficult level. im on my first interloperrun, its day 45 and im doin pretty good. except the constant annoyance of the threat of catchin cabin fever! i cleared pleasant valley, coastel highway and desolation point to finally in mystery lake find my bedroll! that means i was not even able to sleep it of in a car in front of a house (which itself is completely stupid, if you ask me!). it just feels so wrong, thats my problem with it. who in his right mind would leave the house, go to the back in windcover to sharpen his knife in a snowstorm with -40°, constantly complaining that he "never felt so cold in my life" and "cant feel my hands". it is totally unreal and unbelivable. And i know its a game but the fascination of the game comes from simulating nature and reality. i know there are compromises to be made but that... it just feels wrong.

...and i think i do have some knowledge of the game by now with 200+ hours ingame. i love this game.

I strongly feel all the ailments should be in Interloper.  Whether cabin fever is a worthwhile ailment as currently implemented is a different discussion (and a frequent one!).  This is a good thread to check out:

As I said in that thread, I personally feel cabin fever is a "too much stick, not enough carrot" approach to forcing us to meet the game's challenges (most of which are outside).  I don't want to discourage your feedback on the design of Cabin Fever. :P   But if you'd like practical tips on how to avoid it given the current state of the game, just ask.   

Day 45 is quite good for a first Interloper run.  I died horribly a few times before I got the hang of it. :)

I have a tip for one of the issues you mention in your post.  I'll put it in a spoiler in case you prefer to figure it out for yourself.  

5 hours ago, RüdigerNehberg said:

i was not even able to sleep it of in a car in front of a house

A bedroll is not required to sleep in a car (or a snow shelter).  When you are inside the car, just use the bedroll option on the radial menu -- you'll be able to sleep, with the built-in +3C warmth bonus.

Hmmm... yeah. Man, i just dont know! I get the idea of cabin fever but right now, for me, its just an annoyance. it doesnt make the game more difficult, its just a annoyance. i now builded a snowshelter right behind the lakeside office in ML. And instead of sitting comfy in the building, like everybody would do who hasnt gone totally bonkers, i now regularly go behind the building in my improvised snowshelter to prevent me from going crazy! And thats propably like the majority of the players are doing it.

As i said i do get the idea but in its current state it is just absurd. And its not that i exploit the mechanic! I mean, you just cant do anything else in interloper, with the weather most of the time being harsh as hell! gathering sticks drains your warmt level to zero in maybe 20 mins and to restore it you need to pass 1,5 hours inside. And again: plus 10 cabin fever! Only way to be more active outside is to have fire burnin, but obviously this reduces your survival span, which is the overall goal cause in the end, if you dont fuck it up otherwise, you will die due to not be able to start a fire.

using a snow shelter wouldn't have occurred to me.  i'm not certain that would count as an exploit, after all its really no different than building yourself a really sheltered windbreak/igloo.  though I can see why it would be annoying since you've built a shelter right next to a better shelter. :) if I ever make it past day 17 I'll definately keep snow shelters in mind.  are you in the office to take advantage of the fish?  trappers cabin is warmer and has better healing, but no fish.  

nah, im just passing time actually :) i came to mystery lake to look for matches (all i found, including hover dam, was one lousy magnifying glass) but i gathered too much stuff, including 5 kg of cat tail stalks. So, i coocked up 20 liters of water in one session and am now waiting to eat that of. When i "lost weight" ill make it back to base in coastel highway.

Another tip in a spoiler :)

On 2/28/2017 at 2:19 AM, RüdigerNehberg said:

to restore it you need to pass 1,5 hours inside

You'll warm up faster if you pass time in a bed or bedroll.  Remember you can ESC to break out of Passing Time once your are warm.

When I first started playing Interloper, I was a huge critic of cabin fever. But each time you play, you will gradually learn the ways to reduce the risk and not have it be an issue.

It does take some planning ahead, and keeping an eye on your log book to get a feel for when cabin fever will be an issue, but, like anything else, it can be mastered to the point where it's hardly an issue.

I would not change the cabin fever. Just keep at it Rudiger and you'll eventually master it!   :)

maybe you need a new hobby ............. perhaps Ice Fishing?      ;)

Archived