Wilderness Survival: American Style

LankeyLad

And what I mean by that is new weapons, mostly more fire arms.

I already know their is a revolver in the plans but maybe a few ideas.

A shotgun, great for hunting birds and powerful enough to take down charging animals but long range is a no go.

Crossbow, Powerful, Craftible but slow.

Semi Automatic- weak, bad range but quick

Bear Rifle, Four shots to down a bear? No more!

Scoped Rife: Boom Headshot

Those are just ideas i had.

Hunting simulator? It's not Call of Duty, where you find everywhere an ammo box.

I think it would be a good idea, if we could find some special weapons, like revolver or another handgun, but with almost no ammo. It would be far more realistic than one man army show.

As a hunter and firearms enthusiast, I appreciate the sentiment of this post. But in terms of the game, I don't think making wildlife any easier to kill would contribute to the overall experience. The sneak option is already overpowered as it is. Coupling that with added firepower/accuracy would really diminish the challenge of survival.

Also, if you've done much hunting, you probably know that big game doesn't always (or almost never) go down on the first shot. Which doesn't say anything about your firearm or your shot placement. Just sometimes it goes down, and sometimes it takes a while for the animal to die.

9 hours ago, Lovehandel said:

You are more likely to find a Bigfoot than a sniper rifle or handgun in Canada.

To a certain degree. Most commercial hunting rifles would probably be what most people think of as "sniper" rifles in that they are normally of large caliber and have a scope.

And welcome to the forums @LankeyLad ^_^ 

10 hours ago, MueckE said:

I always thought that in Canada, just like in the US, almost everybody has a gun but the diffrence is that the gun laws are more restrictive?

Long guns are not uncommon, especially in rural areas.  Handguns are more uncommon, due to more restrictive regulations governing their ownership and use (My take on the principal users would be: law enforcement, some security guards, people working in the bush where this sort protection from wildlife is justified, and gun enthusiasts... I'm likely leaving some out, but that's my perception). 

Ultimately, in terms of the game, it's my opinion that it only needs to be plausible to find a certain type of weapon.   E.g. although handguns are not  as common as in the US, it would still be plausible to find one in certain situations--say, in an abandoned police vehicle (a bit cliche maybe ;) ) or in one of the prepper bunkers. 

With regards to the game in general, I think adding weapons that encourage different play styles could be beneficial.  Right now, we moreorless know we will find a rifle, and we know what it is capable of---We can hunt deer, wolves and bear from relative safety, as well as defend well against wolves fairly reliably (and bears... well, I get mauled usually lol).  As an example, if we found a weapon that was only good for close quarters defence against wolves (e.g. smaller calibre handgun), we would need to adapt our play style somewhat to match our resources (at least until we find/craft another weapon).

Archived