Got Pacifist from Killing Wolves

Deathdealers747

So, I'm on the Nomad Challenge and trying to beat the challenge (not hard, just long) and get some achievements along the way. Somehow, I got Pacifist Achievement, but this doesn't make any sense considering that I killed at least 5 wolves along the way via attacks. When you fight back, you kill them, and I even harvested the bodies, so I'm not sure what's going on here.

P.S. I wasn't sure if this was a bug report or if this was intended, so I placed it here.

3 hours ago, Scyzara said:

It's not a bug. As long as the wolves attacked you first and you only killed them in self-defense during a handfight, you can still get the Pacifist achievement. This is intended. ;)

Don't seem right to me. Surely the essence of pacifism is an outright refusal to fight, no matter the provocation?

Get it changed!

1 hour ago, Pillock said:

Don't seem right to me. Surely the essence of pacifism is an outright refusal to fight, no matter the provocation?

Get it changed!

In that case may I suggest a BBQ scented deodorant for the next time your character is out foraging? ;)

Are you aware that the achievement would become about ten times harder to get if it was changed the way you suggested?^^

I personally wouldn't mind that, but I somehow doubt even 5% of the playerbase is able to dodge wolves really 100% of the time for 25 days in a row. Would probably cause a lot of frustration and anger for the remaining 95%  if they were forced to start anew each time a wolf jumps them from behind some rock. ;)

Just now, Scyzara said:

Are you aware that the achievement would become about ten times harder to get if it was changed the way you suggested?^^

I personally wouldn't mind that, but I somehow doubt even 5% of the playerbase is able to dodge wolves really 100% of the time for 25 days in a row. Would probably cause a lot of frustration and anger for the remaining 95%  if they were forced to start anew each time a wolf jumps them from behind some rock. ;)

Yeah, I'm aware of that. Like @Deathdealers747 I also earned my Pacifist badge from doing the Nomad Challenge. I didn't go for it on purpose; it just happened like that because I didn't find I ever needed to hunt for food (and I honestly can't remember whether I fought any wolves during that game or not). I don't care about Steam Achievements at all, and I never do any of them deliberately, so making completion of this one harder wouldn't bother me a jot. But then again, going 25 days without hunting, fishing or trapping is pretty easy to do outside of Interloper, so perhaps making it more difficult to get this achievement would objectively be alright?

Anyway, I'm not claiming anything other than that the name is of the achievement is a bit inaccurate. They could change it to "Pacifist unless you get in a fight", and then I would be happy.

I have to disagree with some of the thoughts that are being forwarded thus far in this thread. The kind of pacifism that is being advocated here is technically defined as, "Anarcho-pacifism"  and by no means encompasses all practices of pacifist manifestations. In fact, the majority of definitions for pacifism base their stance of a pacifist lifestyle towards the protection of human life. It's only in Anarcho-pacifism that the belief is held that no violence for any reason under circumstances can be condoned.

If you think about the typical definition of pacifism, that being the protection of human life and valuing human life, then protecting yourself from an animal attack would not technically violate that particular stance.  However I do understand the general objections that is being forwarded and I agree that perhaps, to avoid arguing about semantics, the achievement could possibly be renamed to "Non-aggressor" or some other less inflammatory title.

Just my 2¢

Archived