Bear fight! "Today, im gonna kill the ******"

Tbone555

When a bear attacks us, why do we just lay there and let it happen? 

This is a question that went through my head this morning while I was watching the edge, my favorite movie, for about the 10th time in the past 24 hours...

Anthony Hopkins ( charles) and Alec Baldwin (Bob) would be ashamed of this complete lack of effort from our survivor. Now, I couldn't find the bear fight scene on youtube. But I did find the most awesome and iconic and my favorite scene from the whole movie to add here.

What one man can do another can do! Let us kill the bear! 

You don't always have a spear with you and in the other cases, lay on the ground, keep backpack on and pray, because you failed the other bear avoiding steps.

It is still a survival game, but some people still wants to have a hunting simulator.

If you can kill everyone in the game easily, there is no more fun.

I even wish that the wolfs could be more intelligent.

Well I'd like to see something, besides him just lying down and taking it like "well. This is the end. It was nice knowing ya, smokey" I think in that situation, ol will mackenzie would be madder than hell at that thing, and would punch, claw and bite at it if need be to get out of its grip.

Personally, if I had a knife on me in a bear attack situation, and were able to keep my cool and not panic, I'd take that knife and go for the eyes. That being a last resort, of course. Then, I've never been in that situation, so take that with a grain of salt. It's just an assumption, not an educated comeback :P

I'm not saying to let us kill the bear point blank like we kill wolves. But to let us fight back and possibly hurt it and scare it off before we get down to 9% condition.

On 3/8/2017 at 3:31 PM, Tbone555 said:

I'm not saying to let us kill the bear point blank like we kill wolves. But to let us fight back and possibly hurt it and scare it off before we get down to 9% condition.

10-4 on that, the struggle shouldn't do enough damage to kill the bear, we go down to 20%, bear goes down to 85%. Bear heads back to his den and sleeps it off, next day he's back in action 100% The only way to kill a bear should be with a bow/rifle/flare gun. 

It would work better once grizzlies are implemented, I've been told that if a black bear attacks you you want to fight like a man possessed. They're "small" enough that if you put up enough fight, they'll leave you alone. Grizzlies are a lot bigger. And meaner. 

Sam

People do survive bear and cougar encounters and they often do it with only a knife or a big stick. Once you are on the ground, the advantage of a stick or spear is nullified so you have to go at the bear's face with your knife (or bare hands)! I've heard of knives working but not bare hands. Just sayin' ;)

I used to live across the river from glacier national park in Montana and I've had several dozen bear encounters. In almost every circumstance, the bear was running the other way as soon as it realized I was there. The exceptions were mother bears with cubs in tow that could not run without leaving the cubs behind. The reality is in a fight or flight situation, bears will only choose to fight with humans if it believes it has no other options.

An adult grizzly weighs 500 to 800 lbs, has a massive skull, and claws that are 4 inches long. It survives by fending off other bears that are just as big and strong as it is. If it does attack you, it will not care in the least if you try to fight back,  and you are simply deceiving yourself to believe you would have any effect on an animal that is this powerful. In fact, fighting back will likely convince the bear that you are a threat that it needs to eliminate.

If instead you go limp and play dead, the bear may decide you are not a threat, lose interest, and leave. Remember that bears do not prey on humans; they simply want to end what is to them a stressful, life and death scenario. If you give them the option to leave, they will likely leave. You just have to hope that it leaves before it inflicts fatal damage on you.

With that said, they are wild animals, and there really isn't a fool proof method for handling them. But without exception, everybody who I ever talked to in bear country has given me this same advice for these same reasons. 

Archived