Open cargo containers and lockers with EITHER the hacksaw or prybar

IanS

16 hours ago, IanS said:

seems to me, there's no reason lockers shouldn't be openable with the hacksaw, and no reason cargo containers wouldn't be openable with the prybar...

From a pure realism perspective, you could be right. But thinking in terms of gameplay, giving tools too many uses will make other tools redundant, which in turn takes something away from the game. So sometimes it may be better to restrict the use of certain tools. 

1 hour ago, Hotzn said:

From a pure realism perspective, you could be right. But thinking in terms of gameplay, giving tools too many uses will make other tools redundant, which in turn takes something away from the game. So sometimes it may be better to restrict the use of certain tools. 

Not sure I agree with that. Would allowing cargo containers to be opened by prybar make the hacksaw redundant? Certainly not, given all the other uses for the hacksaw. And would allowing lockers to be opened with the hacksaw make the prybar redundant? Perhaps a little more so, but still not entirely.

Making each tool more versatile would solve the problem. And while I agree that realism is not the top priority, the good thing about making mechanics feel realistic is that it allows the player to use their own common sense to solve problems, rather than having to learn artificial game rules.

Personally I'm in favour of this. Making tools more versatile would increase the chance of use (in my opinion) as opposed to making them redundant. For a case in point see the poor tool box. It used to be needed to repair items now you only need it to repair the lantern. Sure, it's super specialized now... but since I usually have a spare lantern my tool boxes are now almost always converted to convenient sources of scrap for forging.

Versatile tools should still excel at one particular use (e.g. can't use a prybar to make scrap metal) but giving the option to use a tool in a sub-optimal way means I have more reasons for keeping it in my inventory. Especially after the last update where inventory space shrunk drastically due to the weight of the new clothes.

Archived