The Long Plan

Jarulf

Hello all.

I'm a little curious about how people's play styles may differ, and one thing that came to mind is planning and the journal.

I'm rubbish at making any kind of plans, I usually know what I need to do any particular day r over the course of a couple of days (weather permitting - blizzards in PV almost had me starving to death recently)  hunt, gather wood and so on, but I don't tend to think much longer ahead other than in a very general sense (need more hides for new pants). I also tend to forget what exactly I leave at various shelters when I have too much to bring to my main one, especially as it may be weeks or months between gaming sessions. So, I've recently started to use the journal to take down notes to keep track of things like that.

So my question is this, do you plan ahead?

I never thought to track bear spawns. I usually just judge it by the number of times the wolves or deer have respawned. I'm kind of a glutton and I tend to hoard meat and skins. So, take TWM, I'll kill the deer, the three wolves, and the bear after I craft the bow. Usually takes one afternoon (there's a sweet hunter's perch). I know that by day 3 (maybe 4) the deer returns, by day 5 the wolves are back. I kill them (deer and wolves) , usually, twice more before the bear returns. I try not to kill the bear the day he returns, but by this point I'm looking forward to that sweet coat or bedroll. I usually wait till week 2 before mounting the summit, but make frequent day trips in between kills looting the lower cargo. 

I use the Journal to track loot caches and looted locations. Kind of like opening the hood on looted cars to remember you've looted them. I've thought about using the journal as a way to track how I hunted. Bow, rifle, knife, hammer, prybar, or hatchet.

It's pretty easy to tell when the animal will typically respawn: Around the time it's pelt is cured (If you set about curing the hide immediately after harvesting). Some people use the journal to mark locations and do some really primitive cartography. Personally I really don't use it to plan out a trip or anything but I do enjoy marking down some notes from time to time so that if I die I can look back at all the awesome stuff I did during the game.

I'll also note on days when I've started curing hides and plan on traveling away from the spot I've left them on.  So I'll have a note on say day 23, or one on general tab saying on day 28 go back to office and start boots.  I track bear spawns because I plan my routes my them.  Setting aside food and hide, bears are useful because on the smaller maps they contain wolves to certain areas.  And you can skulk along with them and remain relatively wolf free.  Just don't get too close. :) 

Archived