Campfire Percolator

Tbone555

So, recently my coffee maker broke. Without it, I've been dumping coffee grinds straight into the hot water, (AKA campfire coffee) and it looks something like this..

Anyway, this got me thinking. How does the survivor make his morning Joe? Does he use the same strong, gritty method? Probably so, with the lack of electricity or a maker. But surely in the northern Canadian wilderness, SOMEONE has to own an old stainless steel campfire percolator.

There would have to be an added perk to using the percolator as opposed to mixing grinds into the hot water, however, or it would be a pointless addition to the game. I really have no idea what that would be, since every cup of coffee is virtually the same effect no matter how it's made. But yall sound off on this thread and pitch some ideas! Let's make it happen :D

20170211_070940.jpg

3 minutes ago, Tbone555 said:

There would have to be an added perk to using the percolator as opposed to mixing grinds into the hot water, however, or it would be a pointless addition to the game. I really have no idea what that would be, since every cup of coffee is virtually the same effect no matter how it's made. But yall sound off on this thread and pitch some ideas! Let's make it happen :D

added perk... pun intended....lol...   anyhow, how about with the percolator, it uses more than one coffee at a time (so a cost to it...) and it weighs obviously... BUT... it keeps warm longer, much longer..... than the cup o joe.

1 hour ago, Tbone555 said:

So, recently my coffee maker broke. Without it, I've been dumping coffee grinds straight into the hot water, (AKA campfire coffee) and it looks something like this..

I am impressed at your fortitude, @Tbone555. I am fairly reliant on coffee to have a positive and productive day, but bean granules in my mug are a peeve of mine. Hope you at least get a cone dripper soon!

34 minutes ago, Mel Guille said:

I am impressed at your fortitude, @Tbone555. I am fairly reliant on coffee to have a positive and productive day, but bean granules in my mug are a peeve of mine. Hope you at least get a cone dripper soon!

I actually kept an old electric percolator before it gave out. I'm a big fan of unfiltered, stronger coffee :D but yeah, getting a mouthful of grains at the bottom of the cup isn't exactly luxurious ;) although, since I imagine that's how ol Will MacKenzie makes his coffee, it's pretty immersive when I'm playing the long dark while drinking it :P

2 hours ago, AZHockeyNut said:

added perk... pun intended....lol...   anyhow, how about with the percolator, it uses more than one coffee at a time (so a cost to it...) and it weighs obviously... BUT... it keeps warm longer, much longer..... than the cup o joe.

Absolutely love this idea! Then maybe we can get thermoses added too. Brew up several servings of Joe in the percolator, throw em into our thermos and head out with a 5 cup supply of hot coffee on the ready. That would be so nice :D

How about tea pots as well? The biggest difference I would note is the ability to brew more than one cup at a time and perhaps be more efficient with the coffee grounds/tea bags. However, both would require the implementation of advanced cooking (i.e. put the coffee/tea on while you do something else).

35 minutes ago, cekivi said:

How about tea pots as well? The biggest difference I would note is the ability to brew more than one cup at a time and perhaps be more efficient with the coffee grounds/tea bags. However, both would require the implementation of advanced cooking (i.e. put the coffee/tea on while you do something else).

I am all for teapots too, but... no thermos... though I would love one, let the teapot/kettle and the percolator act as defacto thermos but only after heating and not for a super long time.... maybe only 3 cup... or a giant one that is 5 cup.

I believe the advanced cooking is on the roadmap too. so ... some...day.   :)

not my pic so i left their link intact

You do realize you can make the grounds settle out by adding a dash of cold water to the hot coffee? So long as you don't suck on the bottom of the mug, you won't get grit in your teeth.

Or, boil the water, add the grounds and brew the coffee, then decant the coffee into another container and leave the grounds behind.

Adding things like percolators and suchlike are, to me, quite frankly unnecessary. We need an actual cooking system before we need stuff like that.

14 minutes ago, Boston123 said:

Adding things like percolators and suchlike are, to me, quite frankly unnecessary. We need an actual cooking system before we need stuff like that.

They may be unnecessary but they'd certainly feel like a hint of civilization ;)

Or better yet, being able to add some sweetened condensed milk to the coffee! It makes good coffee creamer :D

But I agree. As mentioned above things like coffee peculators would really only fit into an advanced cooking system.

50 minutes ago, cekivi said:

They may be unnecessary but they'd certainly feel like a hint of civilization ;)

Or better yet, being able to add some sweetened condensed milk to the coffee! It makes good coffee creamer :D

But I agree. As mentioned above things like coffee peculators would really only fit into an advanced cooking system.

You could also strain out the grinds by pouring the coffee through a sieve of cloth, held over the mouth of the mug.

Or, make coffee like tea, and wrap the ground coffee up into a little bag of cloth, and seep it in the pot.

If the devs want to be authentic, the only things we would need to make full-course meals is a kettle, a pot and a frying pan.  That is all I carry when in the woods.

4 hours ago, Boston123 said:

If the devs want to be authentic, the only things we would need to make full-course meals is a kettle, a pot and a frying pan.  That is all I carry when in the woods.

Just the essentials I see ;)

Personally, I wouldn't mind if a mess kit was something you had to find or assemble to use the advanced cooking features. In the meantime, just roasting meat on a stick by the fire would make a nice image

11 hours ago, cekivi said:

Personally, I wouldn't mind if a mess kit was something you had to find or assemble to use the advanced cooking features. In the meantime, just roasting meat on a stick by the fire would make a nice image

If advanced cooking is implemented, I think some sort of mess-tin in your basic inventory would be a desirable accompaniment to it. Then they could de-abstract things like making water from snow, cooking food, and making tea and coffee, without requiring you to find pots and pans from a house or cabin first.

I understand the arguments in favour of maintaining that abstraction to an extent, but I don't really agree with them. In my view it comes across as a pretty imperfect 'work-in-progress' mechanic that should only really exist while the game is in early development, and it wouldn't sit very well as a finished system while more detail is added to other parts of the game.

I always thought that the coffee found in the game was that freeze dried instant stuff. I mean, it's awful! But beggars can't be choosers and it'd make sense for a survivor to drink that vile stuff.

I do like the idea of a percolator, or maybe a french press though.

On 15.2.2017 at 5:28 PM, Tbone555 said:

Anyway, this got me thinking. How does the survivor make his morning Joe? Does he use the same strong, gritty method? Probably so, with the lack of electricity or a maker. But surely in the northern Canadian wilderness, SOMEONE has to own an old stainless steel campfire percolator.

20170211_070940.jpg

You are... not using the Hinterland mug?

10 hours ago, Hotzn said:

You are... not using the Hinterland mug?

I want one SO bad but can't afford to be dropping money on unessential things right now :(

On 2/15/2017 at 5:18 PM, Boston123 said:

You do realize you can make the grounds settle out by adding a dash of cold water to the hot coffee? So long as you don't suck on the bottom of the mug, you won't get grit in your teeth.

Yes, this is the method I use. I should have been clearer in stating that :P

Still, first couple times I did it, I ended up taking a big swig from the bottom of the mug out of habit... it wasn't pleasant, but I learned my lesson quick xD

23 hours ago, KarinmedQ said:

I always thought that the coffee found in the game was that freeze dried instant stuff. I mean, it's awful! But beggars can't be choosers and it'd make sense for a survivor to drink that vile stuff.

Instant coffee does sound plausible. After all, that's what I bring along on my camping trips. Much easier to make, but it is pretty terrible. I prefer the brewed stuff ;)

On 2/15/2017 at 10:56 PM, cekivi said:

I think mess kits have been mentioned on another thread before, haven't they? I seem to remember discussing that.

19 hours ago, Tbone555 said:

I think mess kits have been mentioned on another thread before, haven't they? I seem to remember discussing that.

That may have been one of my threads. I just don't remember what I called it so I haven't found the posts yet :D

Archived