Food Poisoning Q & A

michael_martin

I had a weird experience with food poisoning and wanted to post my experience and possibly gain some insight from other members.

I started a new run on Stalker at Desolation Point. The second day, I ate a tin of tuna that was at like 57% and sure enough it gave me food poisoning. Was this from the tuna alone or could it have been from something else?

Next, my condition kept dropping drastically. From about 70%-14% within the same day. I thought it was going to kill me so I drank a couple cups of herbal tea, slept by a fire indoors (just a few hours at a time), and ate one can of pork and beans. I noticed the condition stopped dropping and stayed at 14% until the next day, when the food poisoning passed.

My questions are:

-Can you get food poisoning from one medium-aged food like a tin of tuna?

-Does herbal tea and rest help heal food poisoning?

-Any other general info anyone can provide about food poisoning on TLD?

You can get food poisoning from medium degraded items although it is not common. It seems like you had some bad luck with RNG

Rest helps with most afflictions. The "cure" for food poisoning is antibiotics and rest but you may be able to run out the clock with just resting and drinking lots of water. Herbal tea just increases the condition recovery from resting.

Getting food poisoning with anything with an above 50% condition is very strange and very rare. The only thing that matches that is getting food poisoning from raw meat, which I believe you can get at any condition from initial harvesting. 

Loss of condition for the player is halted when one sleeps, but you have to make sure that you take the proper medicine before you sleep. Condition goes down really fast if you have it and don't sleep, but you're basically a dead man within a few hours if you don't get medicine.

Drinking herbal tea is a bad idea with food poisoning because you will become rested much faster, and will have to wait even longer, which will decrease your condition, until you can sleep again.

11 minutes ago, Ruruwawa said:

And Sardines are evil: for some reason they are THE poison food in this game.  I've gotta food poisoning from 80%, even 85% sardines a few times.

Wow, really?  I have never gotten food poisoning from sardines.  The one that always gets me is beef jerky, sometimes as high as 60 - 70%. 

2 hours ago, Timber Wolf said:

Wow, really?  I have never gotten food poisoning from sardines.  The one that always gets me is beef jerky, sometimes as high as 60 - 70%. 

UNREAL how different it is for everyone! I have never gotten it from Jerky. Candy bars..yes, sardines...all the time...soup... so I avoid them unless they are above 50% or I am desperate even then I try to eat them when I am near a bed and can safely sleep it off.

I was on a few days of antibiotics for eating bear meat...seems to always give me parasites even at my first piece....then a few days into treatment, I got food poisoning from a can of beans I think it was.... ughhh first time I got it from the beans... but WHILE on antibiotics just made me roll my eyes.....since we only have generics...guess I was taking the wrong ones. :)

I get food poisoning from the granola bars....  never the sardines.

You need antibiotics or reishi tea, then some rest. 
Food poisoning is one of those afflictions I don't worry too much about if I have mushrooms on-hand. (They are everywhere)  It is easy to recover from.

When you stop fearing food poisonong you'll start eating some pretty sketchy things when in dire need.........

On 15-2-2017 at 2:38 PM, Ruruwawa said:

I'm pretty sure you mean Sardines, not tuna.  And Sardines are evil: for some reason they are THE poison food in this game.  I've gotta food poisoning from 80%, even 85% sardines a few times.

Got food poisoning once from a 89% cooked fish, needless to say i was surprised, but it is possible, i think it's alright that there's always a very slight chance for it to happen, when you least expect it :P

Granola bars are dangerous :P

Never got it from soup and i think only once from sardines, and sometimes i'm forced to eat very low % food.
Does dogfood give you food poisoning? I tend to find them often and they never poisoned me, must have eaten over 10 that ad their durability below 10.

~Hatchet

I'm going to start with a disclaimer: I haven't played in a while and it's been even longer since the last time I had food poisoning so things could have changed since. Also I haven't played on interloper yet so things may be different there.

That said, here's what I know about food poisoning (both from my own experience and from others here on the forum):

1. You can get food poisoning from any food! Even at 100%, although that is very very rare. I have gotten food poisoning myself from 99% cooked venison but that was long ago so this may have been tuned. Raw meat has a very high % chance to give you food poisoning, packaged food have a low chance (maybe with the exception of sardines? @Ruruwawa) I've seen people claim raw fish is pretty save when the condition is still high but I still cook almost all my fish before eating.

2. Food poisoning doesn't kill you, you can wait it out if you have all your bases covered (food, water, shelter). It does take a while, but your condition will not drop below 15% IIRC. At least not from the food poisoning. But mind that other ailments like freezing, starving and being dehydrated will still lower your condition!

3. Antibiotics (and their natural substitute: reishi mushroom tea) and 10 hours of rest will cure food poisoning faster than just resting.

Archived