Cooking a rotting piece of meat back to edible

Robbie Rotten

Although that I do agree that this is not a very realistic representation of how things work with meat that has spoiled, not sure I would call it weird as much is just not realistic. What we do know is that some bacteria cannot be fully addressed by cooking. Here are a couple of examples from Livestrong.com :

"Bad meat is a breeding ground for bacteria such as Staphylococcus, Salmonella, Bacillus, Clostridium and Escherichia coli..." >>> snip<<< "...Cooking temperature and proper handling are key factors in the safety of eating meat. The USDA also recommends disposing of any meat that is spoiled or left in warm temperatures for more than one hour..."

However it also goes on to say...

"...Two bacteria, Bacillus and Clostridium, bear spores. Intense heat deactivates them, but they produce spores that resist freezing and cooking. These spores result in illness. Clostridium spores produce botulism, a major cause of food disease...Cooking spoiled meat to a high temperature kills some bacteria, but can leave toxins behind. The remaining toxins cause food-borne illnesses, and cooking does not destroy them. Staphylococcus bacteria die from cooking, but produce heat-resistant toxins that cause nausea and diarrhea..."

A more realistic approach would probably be for the cooking to restore 50% of its current state instead of its overall state, meaning if the meat is at 60% then it would be able to be cooked up to 90%

At 40% raw it would be cooked up to 60%

At 20% raw it would be cooked up to 30%

At 0% raw no miracles are happening.

It could be balanced by a slower decay rate but to be honest is not top of my list of things that bother me (all I really want is a one-click option to pickup sticks :) )

1 hour ago, LonelySurvivor said:

Except with level 5 cooking skill - no food poisoning or parasites.

1 hour ago, LonelySurvivor said:

all I really want is a one-click option to pickup sticks

Most half decent mice allow macros to be assigned to buttons - you just need to make a double click macro.

On February 14, 2017 at 11:41 AM, LonelySurvivor said:

...all I really want is a one-click option to pickup sticks :) ...

Hey @lonesurvivor, you read my mind (...please don't be disappointed by how short a read it is :D ). I think allowing something like a Shift+click for an immediate pickup.

On February 14, 2017 at 1:12 PM, mystifeid said:

...Most half decent mice allow macros to be assigned to buttons - you just need to make a double click macro...

Although a great idea, @mystifeid, double clicking will currently result in picking up the target object already (at least that is how I quickly pick up sticks now). Forgive my redundancy, repetitiveness, and for repeating myself over and over again, but a click modifier would be my hope.  Like a Shift+click for instant pickup.

just my 4¢

2 hours ago, L² said:

Although a great idea, @mystifeid, double clicking will currently result in picking up the target object already (at least that is how I quickly pick up sticks now). Forgive my redundancy, repetitiveness, and for repeating myself over and over again, but a click modifier would be my hope.  Like a Shift+click for instant pickup.

I think that even if a click modifier was implemented, I would continue using my macro on the wheel button of my mouse. I would prefer to click this button just once for instant pickup than to have to hold a key and left click.

The wheel button on my mouse does not have a fast action and is useless for wolf struggles (still mash the left mouse button for that) but when it comes to picking things up, it is a blessing to be able to click half as many times.

The other macros I use are assigned to the fourth and fifth buttons - they toggle walking forward and backward. I like being able to take my hands off the keyboard and mouse while the survivor goes for a bit of a walk and it is surprising how much tension is released.

On 2/16/2017 at 7:26 AM, L² said:

just my 4¢

and skip the whole ' wow this is some stick' frame. I'd love that, particularly if it also meant I wasn't continuously chucking my torch, brand, whatever onto the ground to pick up the item.

On 14-2-2017 at 5:41 PM, LonelySurvivor said:

A more realistic approach would probably be for the cooking to restore 50% of its current state instead of its overall state, meaning if the meat is at 60% then it would be able to be cooked up to 90%

At 40% raw it would be cooked up to 60%

At 20% raw it would be cooked up to 30%

It could be balanced by a slower decay rate but to be honest is not top of my list of things that bother me (all I really want is a one-click option to pickup sticks :) )

Neat idea.
I haven't really thought of the 'cooking rotten meat to edible meat' thing because i recon it was okay in the way it worked.
But with what you just said, now i think there's room for improvements on the current system :)

Ps: You live up to your name Robbie Rotten, keep on bringing up those topics about rotten stuff, you're doing an excellent job! :)

~Hatchet

Archived