Story mode perdictions

Robbie Rotten

well i hope this will be a discussion in the comments, but i have a few things to cover. one is, is hinterland going to scrap the game and put a crap story mode for some cash, then run? for a game like this it would be so simple to do that, but from what i see they are very connected with there gamers, (why is this spell checked?) so this probably might not happen but...this is a gaming company and we have seen many scams (*cough* *Cough* halo five) so you never know. perhaps i am being paranoid. this game is awesome and i always want this only wilderness and you option in sandbox forever.

next is what do you thinks going to happen in story mode. i know we are kinda in the dark...The Long dark LOOOL. about the story but know the basic plot about it. so lets hear some theories!

i think during your time you will see people and chose to group up or not. it is all on you and some people may be nuts and try to kill you (or better yet while they are on your group back stab you (take your stuff, and back stab you..)) in any way this will be fun to play, sense lets be honest in what game have you look at your calories and think of a complex choice of ether to eat a gondola bar or a old can of peaches? and lastly i swear if a geomagnetic storm is the cause of a never ending winter this will make me laugh, and see if that make sense!

They've been rather open about what the plot of story mode is.  You're a pilot who crashes and you struggle to make your way to your spouse, while navigating your way through the deadly weather, predators and the unknown intentions of other survivors. 

I pretty sure they'll keep a sandbox mode after the game is released.

If this game was just a cash grab it would not be this amazing and they would not still be working on this, they would have just released it as is and moved on to new game to peddle.  They put more effort into this than some big studios put into full releases.

I have the feeling that story mode is going to be good, in any case i'm sure that they try. I read somewhere that in the beginning TLD was planned as a small mobile-game but the response was so great that they changed the plan. Also the fact that the actual release has been delayed and delayed is telling you something. In the process of development the situation changed often times and the devs reacted to it. Another example for that is that sandbox was just a place for public bugtesting (if you want to call it like that) but suddenly it evolved to the game itself (from the perspective of the players). More money was made and with more players still enjoying playing sandbox, you also have more time and new opportunities.

I don't think it's "unprofessional" to do it like that only because the big game developers are bound to strict time tables and structures. The flexebility actually gives you more freedom and with that the opportunity to make the game like you want and not like you have to because of some release date.

The inspiration clearly came from games like the walking dead (graphic style, survival, exploring human nature/moral in that situation - but without zombies :P). So basicly a copy of known titles with a new, individual touch. With the changing situation that also has changed and Hinterland sees the opportunity to create an entirely new game. Do you really think that it was planned to add moose or cabin fever in 2014/early 2015? This is the reason why the story will be released in episodes rather than in one go.

I don't expect a really "new" story, but a new and a unique way the story is told. It's about surviving in a post-apocalyptic world, the relations between the characters, moral decisions.

The challenges give you hints too. Within the story, i bet there will be a situation where you and your friends/companions have to deal with a crazy bear who tries to kill you and for dramatic reasons he actually will kill the most beloved one. Also someone who is in the same situation, someone you trust, will betray you in a situation where you need his/her help. ....

So don't worry, it's going to be fine. Even if there wouldn't be a story mode, sandbox is worth buying and playing already.

Yea I know and I am not worried about the delays, (sometimes delays are not good) for the cash grab I am saying it's like low possibility but you never know, like halo five, actually wait. That was kinda expected...

any way way on part for story mode I think that the whole thing I heard for just survive or try to put trust in people and build back civilization could be new, but easily ruined if not done correctly.

also if this is a cash grab I think I would still put three hundred hours in this game I love it. I always want this only the wilderness and no,other humans mode. (Hey I just noticed how late it is)

Seriously don't worry about a crappy game. Hinterland has stated over and over again about how they're really wanting this to be the best game they can make. It's also been stated several times that the reason the story mode release date has been delayed for the sole purpose of making the story mode, graphics, gameplay, and environment even better. I'm fully supporting these guys because they put work ethic before money.

yea i suppose so i honestly came from steam and wanted to help this awesome game. some guy was freaking about how he knew that this was a scam. but after (how long was i here again?) i realized that they are connected with the community, and sense this is probably there only project this will be good.

so sorry for the first part of this.

It's understandable to be leery about purchasing an early access game given so many have been less than honest. I can think of quite a few that have simply slapped something together for a cash grab or simply gave up on the game and left it unfinished. I won't name them, but they're fairly easy to locate.

However, I can say with near certainty that The Long Dark isn't one of them. I've been following their project a long time and tend to track their updates on social media, as well as Steam and the forums here. They've put a lot of work into this game and I've seen it evolve and it's nothing short of impressive where it's gone in a few years. What blows my mind is it seems a lot of people have no real idea just how long it takes to make a game with a tiny team. This is also their livelihoods. Their future as a studio depends on this release being as near to perfect as possible. These guys aren't doing it as a hobby. They've taken a chance on this game and the stakes are so high I can understand holding back release until Raphael and the rest of his team is happy with it. Their Studio director comes from a very successful AAA background, as do most of the team, so I'd like to think Raphael has a good intuition, enough to decide to face the disappointment of fans in order to improve the end product.

in the very famous words of Mr. Shigeru Miyamoto: "A delayed game is eventually good. A bad game is bad forever."

Yeah, it's disappointing that people have convinced themselves that a missed release date equals a 'broken promise", a 'Bait and switch' or an 'abandoned project." Honestly that kind of mentality from people boggles me. There are a few posters on the Steam forums and in other places that seem to make it a point to snipe at Hinterland with every post, adding in thinly veiled insults and incorrect information. It seems to be a small minority but they are very, VERY loud. I can understand their frustrations but sometimes they sound like children throwing tantrums. You can't please everyone and it's admirable how much they put up with the kind of anger thrown at them.

I'll stop talking your ear off now. If you haven't read it, I'll leave you with this. Raphael explains what they're working on, why they're delayed and honestly gives us a very transparent view into his thoughts.

On 2/13/2017 at 9:02 PM, writeright1 said:

They've been rather open about what the plot of story mode is.  You're a pilot who crashes and you struggle to make your way to your spouse, while navigating your way through the deadly weather, predators and the unknown intentions of other survivors. 

I pretty sure they'll keep a sandbox mode after the game is released.

If this game was just a cash grab it would not be this amazing and they would not still be working on this, they would have just released it as is and moved on to new game to peddle.  They put more effort into this than some big studios put into full releases.

As we've consistently said, Sandbox Mode isn't going anywhere. :) For many players it will continue to be the primary way they engage with The Long Dark, and we understand that. 

On 2/17/2017 at 5:58 PM, Robbie Rotten said:

yea i suppose so i honestly came from steam and wanted to help this awesome game. some guy was freaking about how he knew that this was a scam. but after (how long was i here again?) i realized that they are connected with the community, and sense this is probably there only project this will be good.

so sorry for the first part of this.

It's all good Robbie. The atmosphere is a bit different here in our official forums, so that maybe took you by surprise. We appreciate you amending your original comment. And to answer your question, yes, this is our only project in development at the moment, and we are 100% committed to it. Story Mode is coming, and Sandbox Mode will see additional improvements as well over time. 

I have more than gotten my money's worth as well!

I wish there were a few things done by HL to communicate clearer so we could have less detractors or misperceptions.... update the roadmap more often (like after each release) that would be a good start.

check off a few of the low hanging fruit to give sandboxers something to do in between releases (like achievements and badges for each level of play (meaning you could do the challenges or earn badges but at each level....) 25 days of no killing on stalker or interloper.....good luck with that.... ;-) firestarter in interloper  HAH 500-600 hours in and I have only close to 60% of that one....gotta become a pyromaniac for it.  maybe rename that badge :P

On 1.3.2017 at 4:11 PM, AZHockeyNut said:

25 days of no killing on stalker or interloper.....good luck with that.... ;-) firestarter in interloper  HAH 500-600 hours in and I have only close to 60% of that one....gotta become a pyromaniac for it.  maybe rename that badge :P

WTF

Are you going to tell me that you got your achievements/badges in Voyager or Pilgrim? Shame on you! :ph34r:

This actually would be a nice thing if HL would reset all achievements and badges and make it so that you only can get them on Interloper.

On 2/22/2017 at 10:11 PM, Rusty_Old_F250 said:

If you want a story mode prediction, I can do better than that, I can make an absolute 100% GAURANTEE  that there will be snow in it. 

(Just had to lighten this thread up a bit...)

Sam

Gasp! Shouldn't you have used the spoiler tag? ;)

On 3/4/2017 at 5:17 AM, MueckE said:

WTF

Are you going to tell me that you got your achievements/badges in Voyager or Pilgrim? Shame on you! :ph34r:

This actually would be a nice thing if HL would reset all achievements and badges and make it so that you only can get them on Interloper.

Different people like different game experiences.  Locking them into just one would be a bad thing.  I'm only playing Interloper to see how the strategies for Stalker do or do not work. And to see if I can ever get past day 17 again. :) I really enjoyed Voyager.  Most of my (mrpfml) hours were spent in Voyager.  

Though to think of it as @AZHockeyNut mentioned interloper should be a badge.  

You are Liam Neeson, after working as a wolf hunter for a big oil company your plane on the way home crashes over the Alaskan wilderness.  Eventually everyone in your party dies and your left fighting wolves with broken shooter glass punching gloves...oh wait :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2017 at 5:17 AM, MueckE said:

WTF

Maybe Hinterlands could consider making Bronze/Silver/Gold/Platinum achievements to reflect the difficulty level you were playing at.

4 hours ago, writeright1 said:

Maybe Hinterlands could consider making Bronze/Silver/Gold/Platinum achievements to reflect the difficulty level you were playing at.

It's an interesting proposition -- although we always like to remind everyone that they are actually "difficulty" levels. The modes reflect different ways to "experience" the Sandbox, and we're very sincere in that goal for the game. In that way we're pretty comfortable with some achievements being earned across different modes or at different times. They count the same no matter which kind of player you are. I hope that makes sense! :)

Archived