Man - Give a guy a break

Ultimateauthority

How many of you have been attacked by one wolf, and then before you can even bandage up you are attacked by another one - and you DIE?  That must have happened to me at leave 24 times in the 47 Sandbox games I hae played so far.  I am getting really tired of working in Voyager mode on a new Sandbox character over many hours over a couple days, exploring much of the world and improving my clothing and skills only to be killed off quickly by the double "tap" of two wolves.

I know this game is difficult, but in Voyager mode - it only makes sense that you should survive for more than 3 or 4 hours of play.  Hell, I don't fall off cliffs anymore, and rarely die of starvation - - but this double tap wolf crap is really making the game un-fun. 

I'll just hang up this game for awhile and see what happens.

I prefer to "lure" them out, then hit them one-by-one in melee, close-ranged combat. I took out a pack of 3 wolves that were guarding MY FISHING HUT in Mystery Lake, during a single day, once. That was fun. 

Also, play some Stalker and Interloper, and beat The Hunted, Part One challenge, and it'll make life on Voyager so much easier. 

On 2/13/2017 at 3:09 PM, Ultimateauthority said:

How many of you have been attacked by one wolf, and then before you can even bandage up you are attacked by another one - and you DIE?  That must have happened to me at leave 24 times in the 47 Sandbox games I hae played so far.  I am getting really tired of working in Voyager mode on a new Sandbox character over many hours over a couple days, exploring much of the world and improving my clothing and skills only to be killed off quickly by the double "tap" of two wolves.

I know this game is difficult, but in Voyager mode - it only makes sense that you should survive for more than 3 or 4 hours of play.  Hell, I don't fall off cliffs anymore, and rarely die of starvation - - but this double tap wolf crap is really making the game un-fun. 

I'll just hang up this game for awhile and see what happens.

If there are two or more wolves nearby, this is something that can happen, it's true. One strategy you might lean on is to build a fire after an initial attack, even at the cost of some accelerant. This can deter other wolves, even as you bandage up your wounds. Naturally, some of this depends on how severe the initial struggle was. And there's always bad luck to contend with. In any case we hope you're able to pick up the game again and make another run at it!

I have less of a problem with this than the times the wolf that attacks you doubles back while you're still in the cutscene.  Not a thing you can do, the wolf goes about 5 feet, turns around and kills you all while the game is locked so nothing you can do to forestall it.  It would be better if the wolf just killed you outright rather than the game messing with you like that.  That being said, I've been killed more often because I didn't notice the second wolf in the area.  Always check for buds. :)

19 hours ago, Jolan said:

I have less of a problem with this than the times the wolf that attacks you doubles back while you're still in the cutscene.  Not a thing you can do, the wolf goes about 5 feet, turns around and kills you all while the game is locked so nothing you can do to forestall it.  It would be better if the wolf just killed you outright rather than the game messing with you like that.  That being said, I've been killed more often because I didn't notice the second wolf in the area.  Always check for buds. :)

I have never had this happen and I have been attacked countless times. Could this be a glitch?

2 hours ago, Lovehandel said:

I have never had this happen and I have been attacked countless times. Could this be a glitch?

It probably is.  I tried starting a conversation it at one point but someone moved it to the bugs section and then support snarked that it was on purpose and was my fault and shut down the thread.  Not worth being harrassed like that to make a bug report even though it continues to happen and as near as I can tell not to many if any others. :)  But those sneaky second wolves are much more dangerous. 

On 18/02/2017 at 10:59 AM, Jolan said:

I have less of a problem with this than the times the wolf that attacks you doubles back while you're still in the cutscene.

I don't know about still being in the cutscene but I've sure had quite a few attack a second time before I've taken five paces.

29 minutes ago, mystifeid said:

I don't know about still being in the cutscene but I've sure had quite a few attack a second time before I've taken five paces.

I've had that too, its why I crouch before first aid - they're less likely to come back.  But what I'm talking about is before you get the save symbol you can't do anything but watch lupe walk away - or in these cases decide to come back and finish the job.  

Maybe this has happened in the very occasional bare handed struggle before I get to a forge although I can't actually remember an occurrence. It does seem like a cruel (but funny) way to die. The vast majority of struggles I have are with a knife and the wolf is most often wearing an arrow. Rather than run away afterwards, it usually decides to take a nap right beside me.

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 11:09 AM, Hatchet said:

Drop bait.
My shortest comment ever :D

~Hatchet

This! Coupled with backing up, getting your bow out and up, little white dot on the path you'll learn the wolf will take as it lopes to the bait, and at the right moment (as the wolf's face comes through that white dot) you pull back on the bow and let fly. If you're far enough away from the bait even if you miss the wolf will (90 percent of the time) just take the bait and trot off.

On 16/02/2017 at 4:09 PM, Hatchet said:

Drop bait.
My shortest comment ever :D

~Hatchet

@Hatchet Its the shortest one that I have come across.

@Ultimateauthority Persevere, this game has a steep learning curve, try different tactics, routes and play styles, honestly I'm sure you will start to find this amazing game so much more rewarding when you do! its easy to get stuck in one minute or play style, if its not working, adapt, survive and eventually thrive! Good Luck!

If you end up inside a pack of wolves that's the root of the problem. After you sustain an attack (and there're plenty of ways to avoid it on the first place) you have of course less chances to get out alive. You have to double your effort, use the same technique again but this time use them fast and with extreme precision.

At the moment the wolf mechanic is basically the most developed and balanced in the entire game. Even more than managing cold I'd say.

On 3/1/2017 at 2:29 PM, stapeliad said:

Stupid dogs......

When there is more than one around get that flare out...or torch....

I like to lure them off one at a time and then dispose of them... wait does that make me the slasher in a slasher film?

No disrespect, but what are you doing that puts you in such close proximity to multiple wolves so often???

I've been playing a couple years now and that's only happened twice to me.

It's actually quite easy to avoid wolves altogether if you really want to.

• 2 weeks later...

@Jolan it sounds like a learning curve issue. Be aware that the wolves have certain "home" locations that makes them relatively easy to avoid. You can approach the quonset hut cautiously and watch for the wolves from a distance and then creep around to find a safe avenue of approach. If you are carrying uncured guts, that is a big lure for wolves as is raw fish and other smelly items. The point of wolves in the game is to make you vigilant at all times. They have sounds and the wild life will give you clues too such as birds singing and bunnies capering about carefree that signify the wolves are not about. A sudden bunny fleeing toward you means something bad is that way. The old hands know all these tricks but you'd have to watch a lot of videos to pick out just these clues. The online maps will also show the haunts of the wolves but you should learn these by playing the game too. Traveling the high ground makes it easier to avoid the wolves. I actually hope they add roving to wolves to counter the exploit of knowing their haunts and patrol paths especially for Stalker and Interloper. Also I hope they add a cougar that actively stalks you waiting for you to not watch behind you and that pounces upon an unwary survivor. I love that this game is hard and not a stroll in the park. Outdoor experiences should count for something with general bush craft and awareness.

Fire is your friend when you have problem wolves. Fire is your salvation. Remember this!

Archived