PV -TWM transition area

Scyzara

I would like to pick up one point of this thread from @Hatchet, but I believe it's better to make it a topic of its own: The current transition area between PV and TWM.

I totally agree that it's not a particularly exciting part of the game world to travel through - basically it's just an empty gorge - , but what is even more odd is the lack of shelter along the way. If you know the maps very well, it's almost always possible to travel between different parts of the game world without major condition loss due to freezing (on Interloper that is, in the other modes freezing is not so much of a problem anyway). However, the PV - TWM transition route between the rope bunker and the mountaineer's hut is an exception from this rule. Unless you start a pretty big multiple-hours fire midway between those two points, you just can't travel between them without taking freezing damage. 

So I believe this transition area might clearly benefit from some form of enrichment. On the one hand to simply make it more interesting/exciting and on the other hand to  faciliate travelling a little.

I don't think we need a whole new transition map here, but rather some fascinating map features that make the trip more interesting and offer some form of shelter. What would clearly be unique might for example be a small group of arctic tents under a large rock ledge set up by a (now frozen) group of mountaineers around a burnt-out campfire. Or maybe the crashed plane's cockpit, half-burried in a small avalanche that it caused within the gorge when it came down.

I think you get my point - some form of map enrichment that gives the region a unique touch and basically has the characteristics of a snow shelter from a gameplay point of view. ;)

I for one would be pretty happy about such a thing, further ideas or comments are very welcome!

While enrichment of the route would be great I don't believe that it is necessary to add a place of warmth midway especially considering the amount of loot and gear that is often carried back from TWM to PV. I'm usually resigned to losing 20%-30% health on this transition while carrying my 50+kg and never stop to light a fire. Also I don't think that this is the only transition where serious health loss can occur. For example:
- moving between Crumbling Highway and Coastal Highway. With this transition I often light a fire midway.
- traveling between the Ravine and Coastal Highway.
- even going to the Poachers Camp in Forlorn Muskeg from Mystery Lake can be hard with a headwind.

The difference between these transitions and PV-TWM is that there are other things to absorb your attention, even if it is just more expansive views in the case of Forlorn Muskeg, rather than just looking at an empty gorge and having nothing else to occupy your attention except worrying about the state of your health and maybe how many sticks you can pick up.

At the moment PV-TWM takes only an hour or two and I often spend the first part of the day doing something else like exploring the Mystic River Cave. If the transition contained an extra challenge or two along the way I might be forced to plan the whole day around moving between the maps and have to light a fire along the way. Probably I would find this to be more satisfying than finding a ready made shelter en route.

@mystifeid I think the bigger difference between the PV-TWM transition and the examples you give is that there's a cave with a warm back half (+13C on Interloper) on all three of those routes (Crumbing Highway has a warm basement too).  That's 13 fewer sticks you need to pump into a fire for it to warm you up.  Quite a significant difference, IMO.

I really like this idea, @Scyzara.  It's certainly more interesting than a cave, but tbh I wouldn't say no to a cave with a warm back half on this route too.

19 minutes ago, Ruruwawa said:

@mystifeid I think the bigger difference between the PV-TWM transition and the examples you give is that there's a cave with a warm back half (+13C on Interloper) on all three of those routes (Crumbing Highway has a warm basement too).  That's 13 fewer sticks you need to pump into a fire for it to warm you up.  Quite a significant difference, IMO.

Yeah, I always sleep the night in the Arch Cave but I inevitably light a fire somewhere around the Waterfront Cottages on the way back to safety in Coastal Highway. I almost never light a fire moving from PV to TWM. For me, going from Crumbling Highway to Coastal Highway is the more serious trip even before you consider the possibility of having to deal with a wolf or two.

I just don't think the fact that you are going to lose some health is a good enough reason to start adding places of warmth.

My most hated walk that I do with any frequency is between the Crossroads and the Abandoned Bunker. It nearly always takes at least two fires along the way and as I near my goal with reduced health worry about the wolves ahead. Have I got the health to survive a struggle? If someone suggested an extra place of warmth (admittedly there is a bear cave which I never use) to ensure my survival, I would say exactly the same thing - no thanks.

I think a transition map would be the best solution.

Something that gives you more of a feeling of ascending into a mountainous region: a few more rope-climbs, maybe; some steep hills to clamber up. It could be small, but more 'vertical' than the other transitions! It could include a cave or two and abandoned campsites as well, to give some flavour. Maybe a resident mountain lion, once/if those get added?

15 minutes ago, Pillock said:

I think a transition map would be the best solution.

Something that gives you more of a feeling of ascending into a mountainous region: a few more rope-climbs, maybe; some steep hills to clamber up. It could be small, but more 'vertical' than the other transitions! It could include a cave or two and abandoned campsites as well, to give some flavour. Maybe a resident mountain lion, once/if those get added?

Something like that would be fine but I would be disappointed if I could pillage TWM and walk back into PV carrying my 55kg without still losing 20%-30% health.

2 minutes ago, mystifeid said:

Something like that would be fine but I would be disappointed if I could pillage TWM and walk back into PV carrying my 55kg without still losing my 20%-30% health.

I'd prefer it so that the whole trip took a bit longer, really - hence why I like the idea of a transition map.

It feels slightly cheap that you can loot the mountain (partially, at least) and then be back at the Farmstead by the end of the same day.

On 2/12/2017 at 7:51 AM, mystifeid said:

My most hated walk that I do with any frequency is between the Crossroads and the Abandoned Bunker. It nearly always takes at least two fires along the way and as I near my goal with reduced health worry about the wolves ahead. Have I got the health to survive a struggle? If someone suggested an extra place of warmth (admittedly there is a bear cave which I never use) to ensure my survival, I would say exactly the same thing - no thanks.

I usually do Crossroads over the river, past the pond where you sometimes find deer and cattails, warm up in barn area, hit my stash of water, from there to the river, up to Draft Dodgers cabin, warm up, rest up.  Up the cliffs if I have the fatigue, around if I don't (can't do this any more evidently), warm up in either the cave or the basement, hop over past the hunters blind and to the abandoned bunker.  Its the long way around, but if it isn't your first time through you can seed it with water and wood. And the first time thru it gets you access to some resources.

On 12-2-2017 at 10:55 AM, Scyzara said:

I would like to pick up one point of this thread from @Hatchet, but I believe it's better to make it a topic of its own: The current transition area between PV and TWM.

I totally agree that it's not a particularly exciting part of the game world to travel through - basically it's just an empty gorge - , but what is even more odd is the lack of shelter along the way. If you know the maps very well, it's almost always possible to travel between different parts of the game world without major condition loss due to freezing (on Interloper that is, in the other modes freezing is not so much of a problem anyway). However, the PV - TWM transition route between the rope bunker and the mountaineer's hut is an exception from this rule. Unless you start a pretty big multiple-hours fire midway between those two points, you just can't travel between them without taking freezing damage. 

So I believe this transition area might clearly benefit from some form of enrichment. On the one hand to simply make it more interesting/exciting and on the other hand to  faciliate travelling a little.

I don't think we need a whole new transition map here, but rather some fascinating map features that make the trip more interesting and offer some form of shelter. What would clearly be unique might for example be a small group of arctic tents under a large rock ledge set up by a (now frozen) group of mountaineers around a burnt-out campfire. Or maybe the crashed plane's cockpit, half-burried in a small avalanche that it caused within the gorge when it came down.

I think you get my point - some form of map enrichment that gives the region a unique touch and basically has the characteristics of a snow shelter from a gameplay point of view. ;)

I for one would be pretty happy about such a thing, further ideas or comments are very welcome!

Pretty much what i was thinking about, i don't think i elaborated any further on my topic (im usually a bit rushed).
I was originally thinking about a 'welcome to TMW' cabin that is in a state of despair, no stove, no roof, and a tree that fell which destroyed most part of of the cabin, but one side of the building that is still standing has a flagpole with a familiar red flag on it.
Some picknick benches around the trail leading up to the first crash site and that's about it.
But i like your idea with tents just as much as mine.
But i never thought of it the way you did, my reason was only asthetic wise, seems like there is more to it! All the reason more this area needs more thought :)

Good idea to start this into it's own seperate thread, good idea i say!

~Hatchet

Well, I disagree with this!

I remember discovering the entrance to TWM. That part of PV is for me already a pretty big detournment for your usual paths in the region. The long walk to the Hut is one of the most fascinating things in the game! I would actually like to have more stuff like that. The game is so tight and controller already. Some suggestive walking spots where you have to pick a good weather or fight are more then welcomed in my game experience.

30 minutes ago, togg said:

Well, I disagree with this!

I remember discovering the entrance to TWM. That part of PV is for me already a pretty big detournment for your usual paths in the region. The long walk to the Hut is one of the most fascinating things in the game! I would actually like to have more stuff like that. The game is so tight and controller already. Some suggestive walking spots where you have to pick a good weather or fight are more then welcomed in my game experience.

This would be considered as 'great sarcasm'.
Unfortunatly, you're serious XD

~Hatchet

2 hours ago, Hatchet said:

This would be considered as 'great sarcasm'.
Unfortunatly, you're serious XD

~Hatchet

Yea I'm super serious! I think the game doesn't "breath" that much for pro player anymore. We need longer and interesting walks. I'll probably come back to the Muskeg to retry it.

Archived