Cutting Fir / Cedar

nicko

v.393 - When i go to cut Fir or Cedar wood by default I get the hacksaw tool. (if you carry one)

I think it would be much nicer flow if you get the Axe first followed by the knife and then finally the hacksaw. Doing so will make it quicker for us to chop fir / cedar. Also I guess the same would apply if I as to break down metal, I would want the hacksaw first :)

logMenu01.jpg

+1 on this too!

I also encountered this bizarre implement choice when roaming in the TWM area.  I typically leave the hacksaw in the Mountaineer's hut when I go forage for wood, but I inadvertently brought it once.  When I started to breakdown a Fir limb, while dodging wolves, I was greeted by the "sawing" sound and thought to myself, "...what the heck?!"  When I started the next limb I then noticed the interface defaulting to the hacksaw and then cycled to the hatchet.  

I'm not sure if this defaulting mechanic is on purpose, or if it is merely an issues due to some type of weighting of each item that causes this to happen.  If it is suppose some kind of random feature, then it is failing badly because it is always coming back with the same choices in the same order. My suspicion is that there is some established implement priority and that's why it's coming up the way that it is. I think random would be a poor selection choice anyways because there's no way that a person in the wild preparing to break down a branch would somehow choose a hacksaw to do something like that. "I was so cold and disoriented that I used a hacksaw to break down a limb, wow I must've been out of my mind with the cold." Yeah, not likely. :D

Personally, it think it would be helpful to include in the options a toggle for something like smart choice. With smart choice turned off, it would come up in the current weighted item choice, but with smart choice enabled, the game I would bring up the best item for the particular activity and even based upon the condition of the item being worked on. For example, skinning a deer when it's fresh, obviously the knife would be best, however if it's frozen, then the hatchet might be more appropriate.

Anyway that's my 2¢

10 hours ago, L² said:

Personally, it think it would be helpful to include in the options a toggle for something like smart choice. With smart choice turned off, it would come up in the current weighted item choice, but with smart choice enabled, the game I would bring up the best item for the particular activity and even based upon the condition of the item being worked on. For example, skinning a deer when it's fresh, obviously the knife would be best, however if it's frozen, then the hatchet might be more appropriate.

There is at least one instance where this happens - breaking down curtains. The default choice is a knife but at the expense of a few extra minutes I would prefer to use hands. So instead of a "smart choice" I think I agree with others who have brought this up in the past - it would be better if "remember choice" was implemented.

However when crafting a bear skin coat in Stalker for example the correct choice between the use of a knife or hatchet is made automatically but in Interloper this does not happen resulting in an extra 15 hours crafting time if you happen to be carrying both tools. There is no provision to change implements in the UI and the only way to craft with the knife is to first drop the hatchet. It is very easy to leave the hatchet behind if you leave To avoid this annoyance I usually don't bother forging the hatchet in the first place and having a superfluous implement in the game seems like a waste.

Archived