Different Hitch Knots

Kirby

First off for the non-climbers like me: A hitch is a knot used to attach a rope to a fixed object.

Throughout the game there are numerous climbing spots where the character can climb up or down a cliff using a rope. The way ropes work means that the character can´t use the rope of the cliff they just descended. This is meant to avoid the player being stuck somewhere without the ability to get back up. The issue is: The player can still get stuck by simply walking down cliffs. I actually use that strategy a lot, it is particularly helpful in traversing TWM.

Because of this, I think a more realistic approach to climbing would be nice. Real life mountaineers don´t leave their ropes on the mountain, those things are expensive. Instead they use either release-hitches (the climber ties the knot in the middle of the rope and takes both ends down to the bottom. One end is used for holding the weight of the climber, the other one releases the knot if pulled) or hitches that only hold while under stress (I could not find information on them online, but I have seen some in real life. Basically the climber just has to shake the rope a bit in order to release the knot). Both of those allow the user to retrieve the used rope without hassle

.I think if a player can make the decision to take a rope and walk down a mountain with it, they should also be able to climb down the rope and still take it with them. Maybe this can be combined with a new climbing mechanic that may or may not be coming, maybe additional knots could be part of the skill system for that mechanic.

As always Ideas, critiques and trivia are very welcome! I will add any important information to the original post in order to improve accessibility (no one wants to scroll through 20 comments quoting the full original just to say "agreed +") so feel free to post as much as you want.

Archived