Bear jacket or bedroll?

LonelySurvivor

I would strongly suggest the bedroll, mainly because the bear jacket is so heavy that it's rather annoying to use. I personally would also not use the wolfskin coat, but rather go for a second light synthetic jacket. It doesn't make a huge difference on Interloper which clothes you wear (on the TWM map, at least) anyway - you will start to freeze even with two bearskin coats and a full set of maximum warmth fur gear after a rather short period of time.

In other words you'll need to warm up in multiple caves while discovering /climbing the mountain no matter what. And for these situations, the (overall much higher) temperature bonus from the bearskin bedroll will most likely give you a way bigger advantage than the minor permanent temperature bonus from the bearskin coat. ;)

What's the rate of decay on the bearskin bedroll on Interloper?   It's been a few patches since I tried the bear bedroll, but last time I tried it decayed very quickly.  I have a couple bearskins in storage (because I find the coat too heavy also), but I worry that if I make the bedroll it will decay faster than I can get another bearskin to repair it.  My local bear respawns about every 30 days, then there's the 10 day curing time.  

4 hours ago, Ruruwawa said:

What's the rate of decay on the bearskin bedroll on Interloper?   It's been a few patches since I tried the bear bedroll, but last time I tried it decayed very quickly.  I have a couple bearskins in storage (because I find the coat too heavy also), but I worry that if I make the bedroll it will decay faster than I can get another bearskin to repair it.  My local bear respawns about every 30 days, then there's the 10 day curing time.  

My Bearskin Bedroll decayed by about 22% (from 100% to 78%) in about 35 days.So the decay rate is about 0,63%  Whether I use it or not It still decays quickly both ways.

1 hour ago, METANUK said:

Whether I use it or not It still decays quickly both ways.

Are you sure about that? The bedroll always used to deteriorate primarily on use (0,x % per hour slept) and hardly at all by time, but maybe that was changed. I haven't tested it since the resolute outfitter update to be honest.

But well, even if it's a fixed entirely time-dependant value now, I personally wouldn't call 20% per month "quick decay". I mean come on, killing one bear every 75 days should be totally doable for everyone who managed to kill two bears to craft the bedroll in the first place.

Given the sheer number of bears on all maps together, I personally don't even find it a problem to maintain two bearskin jackets and a bedroll at once. (Did just that for about 200days on my current Interloper game). You just need to kill every bear you come across whenever they respawn and you'll have more furs for repairs than you can ever use. ;)

8 hours ago, METANUK said:

My Bearskin Bedroll decayed by about 22% (from 100% to 78%) in about 35 days.So the decay rate is about 0,63%  

Thanks, that confirms my experience.

8 hours ago, METANUK said:

Whether I use it or not It still decays quickly both ways.

This is my experience too, at least for one of my older sandboxes (started in v347), and not checked in recent builds.  I'd repaired up my bear bedroll, stored it, and it was already at half condition when I came back to it a couple months later with no use at all.

7 hours ago, Scyzara said:

Given the sheer number of bears on all maps together

No doubt, but I'm currently doing a 200-300 interloper at a single base, non-nomad, no fishing.  Self-imposed challenge; I'm in DP.  I haven't even looted any other zones except TWM summit/hut, PV cave/farmhouse/radio tower and CH quonset.  I still might try the bear bedroll, but I think I'll wait until I have a third cured bear hide in storage.  The ocean brings me enough cloth to stay ahead of repairs on my clothes and normal bedroll, so I can afford to wait.

9 hours ago, Scyzara said:

You just need to kill every bear you come across whenever they respawn and you'll have more furs for repairs than you can ever use. ;)

That is the thing, you need to kill bears as soon as they respawn in order to keep your bearskin jackets and bedroll in shape. And there are not as many bears as deers,  wolves or rabbits. So I believe it would be fair to lower the rate of decay of Items made of bearskin because there are not many bears. But that is my personal opinion.

P.s. I have done some research on Bearskin Bedroll. So whether you use It or not it decays roughly the same way. I have also tried to store it outside and it still decays. I think there is no way of lowering the decay rate of bedroll, at least i have not found a solution for that yet.

1 hour ago, METANUK said:

That is the thing, you need to kill bears as soon as they respawn in order to keep your bearskin jackets and bedroll in shape. And there are not as many bears as deers,  wolves or rabbits. So I believe it would be fair to lower the rate of decay of Items made of bearskin because there are not many bears. But that is my personal opinion

There are about five bears in PV, three in TWM and another three in CH. That should be enough to keep most going for a little while. What happens with deer, wolf and rabbit hides is that you end up with enormous piles of them that are never used.

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:00 PM, mystifeid said:

What happens with deer, wolf and rabbit hides is that you end up with enormous piles of them that are never used.

Unless you keep your crafted clothing in the best condition possible for optimum warmth.

On 2017. 02. 12. at 7:31 PM, Scyzara said:

Are you sure about that? The bedroll always used to deteriorate primarily on use (0,x % per hour slept) and hardly at all by time, but maybe that was changed. I haven't tested it since the resolute outfitter update to be honest.

Everything degrades pretty fast in Interloper, being used or not. Before I found my working boots I'm wearing currently, I had trail boots, and I kept them, wasn't sure which one to use. They were in around 95% condition, roughly on day 30. I forgot about them, now checked: 68%, day 109. I won't calculate daily degradation, but experienced the same with normal bedroll, when it was laying untouched in a drawer for couple of weeks.

Edit: Sandbox v.393

Archived