First aid needs to work slower

Eulumuri

If I'm mauled by a wolf, or fall and sprain my ankle, I shouldn't be able to pop some pills and instantly be able to take on the next challenge. I should be slowed down and weakened, for at least half an hour until they kick in. Yes, that would mean my last wolf encounter would have ended very differently when he came back to attack a second time, but I'm okay with that. :D

Painkillers should not cure the injury. Instead, they should blend out the pain, enabling you to walk faster and even run with a twisted ankle. A twisted ankle should slow you down much more than it currently does in the game. In that situation, painkillers could become a real life-saver, as they might enable you to reach the next shelter or run away from wolves before worse things happen. But later the pain should come back and force you to heal the injury by traditional means - eg healing salve, rest, herbal tea etc.

10 hours ago, Hotzn said:

Painkillers should not cure the injury. Instead, they should blend out the pain, enabling you to walk faster and even run with a twisted ankle. A twisted ankle should slow you down much more than it currently does in the game. In that situation, painkillers could become a real life-saver, as they might enable you to reach the next shelter or run away from wolves before worse things happen. But later the pain should come back and force you to heal the injury by traditional means - eg healing salve, rest, herbal tea etc

I think the painkillers are going to have to provide some pretty powerful analgesia to allow you to continue carrying a heavy load with anything but the mildest of ankle sprain (and if taken orally there would be significant time delay). Doing so should probably exacerbate the problem until you can stop and begin a therapy like rice - rest, ice, compression and elevation. Painkillers that are also anti-inflammatories should help in reducing recovery time but as suggested these might be more effective as a salve applied to the affected area instead of pills taken orally. Recovery time would often be measured in days and not hours.

Random falls resulting in sprains would necessarily have to become a rare beast but a more realistic treatment of sprains that are for example the result of a fall from height might not be a bad thing. Perhaps the disabilities sustained from the current random falls could become lesser impairments like those sustained from a minor blow to the head or from bruised limbs.

On 10-2-2017 at 9:45 PM, Eulumuri said:

If I'm mauled by a wolf, or fall and sprain my ankle, I shouldn't be able to pop some pills and instantly be able to take on the next challenge. I should be slowed down and weakened, for at least half an hour until they kick in. Yes, that would mean my last wolf encounter would have ended very differently when he came back to attack a second time, but I'm okay with that. :D

Excellent idea, odd that this hasn't been brought up yet, or maybe it has but i didn't notice it :P

~Hatchet

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah give the player a choice. If sprained injury have the player suffer the pain and thus getting impaired or let him choose to take painkillers, making the injury worsen but have enhanced performance, and then later when you will take care of the injury it must be much more severer to treat it than if you did not take painkillers.

• 2 weeks later...

I refuse to use painkillers as they are now.... I like mumbling to myself about how stupid I am, as I limp back home to rest up through an ever worsening blizzard :) 

Personally, I'd like to see them used similar to herbal tea ... take one before resting, and it aids the healing process a little. Or, also as a very temporary thing ... take one, and you can move a little faster for an hour or so, but it lengthens the overall healing time, because you've managed to overwork the injury. I'd also be more than fine with injuries having hypothermia type conditions .... "you must now only carry [20kg] for [48 hours] to help heal your injury".

I'm new to the game ..... wasn't it different before? I remember someone mentioning there used to be splints, and painkillers were not an instant fix.

2 hours ago, Shane Retter said:

I'm new to the game ..... wasn't it different before? I remember someone mentioning there used to be splints, and painkillers were not an instant fix.

Sadly that was a wish list item, not in the actual game :) 

Archived