Ideas

michael_martin

Anyone else think adding binoculars or a scope of some kind would be useful? Not sure if it would be easy to add or not.

I also noticed someone mentioned adding a compass, I think that's an interesting idea but had another thought too. I noticed once when outside on a clear night that the big dipper is visible in the sky. Can this be used for navigation? Any answers would be appreciated

2 hours ago, Rolandtigerfish said:

The star map doesn't seem to be a good source of direction. I've tried a few times to chart it based on just the largest stars and it's seems not very static.

yet sailors use them ever since the first man thought of using stars for navigation :) 

10 hours ago, michael_martin said:

adding a compass

id like this. also, though we dont have maps and i like that we dont have maps, we could use cured skin and coal to draw up our own map sketches...

Having a compass would mean never being lost in a blizzard.

Being lost in a blizzard is the most fun way to die in the game. I recall once dying on the veranda at the farmhouse in PV. Wandering around looking for it I finally see it, but with only 5% health left. Would I make it?  Not this time

50 minutes ago, vargata said:

you can easily get lost with a compass in a blizzard.... it only shows direction not location.

If you knew the general direction to walk, it would be almost impossible not to find the main road/railroad tracks (depending on the map) Find the main road, find anything.

On 10.2.2017 at 4:50 PM, michael_martin said:

Anyone else think adding binoculars or a scope of some kind would be useful? Not sure if it would be easy to add or not.

I also noticed someone mentioned adding a compass, I think that's an interesting idea but had another thought too. I noticed once when outside on a clear night that the big dipper is visible in the sky. Can this be used for navigation? Any answers would be appreciated

Binoculars and a compass have been suggested multiple times and years ago. Binoculars would be agreat addition in my view. Compass not so much, since the maps are already too easy to navigate as is. Could make sense if the maps were made larger and more difficult though.

I think the reason there is no binoculars is because the devs don't want you to see the bear or wolves from 3 miles away. If you know the wolf pack is on that end of their path then you go the other direction until they have moved on. I also think they want you to stumble onto caves, small buildings, bow & arrow materials, dead bodies, etc. rather than head directly to them.

For the sandbox, I don't think it matters much what they add, they could even add a free-for- all mode. Hell they can put a bazooka in that for all I care. But they have to be very cautious regarding their finished product. Otherwise story-mode would be over in an hour.

Archived