Food pickup dialogue

Tbone555

I for one don't find the food pickup dialogue immersive at all.

Here I am starving for 2 days, venturing into a cabin, which I raid a cabinet and find a brand spanking new can of pork n beans... I don't think "man, I hope I can still eat this..." would be my reaction. Maybe that can be a line for food under 40% condition. Rusted cans, stale / mouldy candy, granola, energy bars, crackers, etc.

As a side note, I found myself laughing out loud when my survivor picked up a can of summit soda and said "hm. Wonder if this is any good to eat." I also may or may not have said out loud "nah, but it's probably good to drink idiot."

Just a small issue that kinda somewhat bugs me :P

On 9.2.2017 at 10:13 PM, Tbone555 said:

Here I am starving for 2 days, venturing into a cabin, which I raid a cabinet and find a brand spanking new can of pork n beans... I don't think "man, I hope I can still eat this..." would be my reaction.

Agreed. I also find it pretty immersion-breaking when my character picks up some 100% condition food item and comments "Looks like this has been here for a while". That comment should rather play at items below 60% condition or so, not on brand new ones.^^

I agree with all of these points.  I have long since turned off the volume on the character's voice, because it is not helpful and is only distracting. 

There are just too few lines, so many of them do not apply to the situation at hand.  I will be hoping that a great many more lines are added before final release! :)

Really I think Hinterland is going to work on this stuff as soon as story mode is out, but there is definitely a need.

Especially when I'm picking up some canned beans that are in really good condition and I get the, "Is this food or..."

Like, dude you can tell that's food what's wrong with you?

On 2/12/2017 at 4:02 AM, Scyzara said:

Agreed. I also find it pretty immersion-breaking when my character picks up some 100% condition food item and comments "Looks like this has been here for a while". That comment should rather play at items below 60% condition or so, not on brand new ones.^^

Agreed, and they can even re-use some existing lines for different food contexts. For instance, if you're starving and/or if you pick up a high-condition piece of food, it could play the "Well ...thank goodness for that" line.  (Usually used when you're freezing and get a fire started.) 

I also feel like the "guy who drank his own pee" line should be reserved for when you are both below 50% thirst AND have no water or soda in your inventory.  It's jarring to hear it when you wake up in your stocked base and are padding over to the fridge.

The laughing "huh ...OK" and "Is this food, or...?" oughtta be reserved for dog food.

Nice examples, and yes, there is still room for improvement. But it should also be noted that the in-game comments are already a lot better and more context-sensitive than they originally were.

The first place I would like to see further improvement is indeed the comments when finding food, especially when already starving.

I was thinking once in a while after eating something hot, hearing that scream from falling down the rope line..... damn burnt the roof of my mouth!

s bit more sarcasm and punch drunk humor as the days wear on seems appropriate. like after 50+ days I could give a rats behind of someone else could use this....I would "wish" someone else could use it meaning someone else is around!

A random chance to find your camp destroyed by bears and stuff all over the place so you can come back to it and hear @#$@#$#@4 @#$@#$@ #@$%@#$$%#^

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2017 at 4:40 PM, AZHockeyNut said:

A bit more sarcasm and punch drunk humor as the days wear on seems appropriate. like after 50+ days

Yeah, I'd love to see that. It could be the cause of quite some funny moments:

Walks past a corpse and picks up a candy bar right in front of it .... "Soooo, did you starve to death?"

I guess an additional mental condition (similar to the overall physical condition) would round it up, but would probably need quite a bit of work to implement. But once it is in the game, you could use it to trigger different sentences/reactions.

EDIT

Walks past a corpse for the Nth amount of time .... "Hey Eddie, how are you doing today?"

Archived