Hunting and Animal-Fighting Skills, Knife kills, Expanded Trapping and Meat Production

IanS

I would like to see more focus on learning traditional skills and woodcraft through the game, a realistic deepening of the trapping & hunting aspect, and a bigger focus on working toward self-sustainability as you develop primitive skills. In this type of long term winter survival scenario, finding game would be your main preoccupation, and the most reasonable way to survive would be adopting a trapper subsistence lifestyle. Here are some of the things I'd add if I could:

More rifles and knifes. I wish there were more hunting rifles of various calibers, and maybe a revolver. More knives! Better knives might help skin animals faster, be better for fighting them, and require sharpening less often.

More realistic animal confrontations,  Animal fighting skill, and ability to use knife or hatchet in animal confrontations. You should get better at fighting off animals and intimidating them over time. After a certain number of fights with wolves for instance, you could have a chance of killing the wolf in the fight instead of just scaring it off. At higher levels, you would have lessened injuries and even a chance to kill the animal and avoid injury completely. At the highest levels, with a good enough knife, you kill wolves almost every time, and you even have a chance to kill a bear when it maims you (but still sustain bad injuries in the process).

More traps! Rabbits aren't the only things that can be snared. There should be more types of craftable traps, and all animals should be trappable. It would be cool if there were wolf and deer snares (with longer wait times than the rabbit snares) and if you could finish off dangerous trapped animals with a crafted spear. At a great cost of labor and time, you could dig a spiked deadfall pit for trapping bears.

More animals. Rare animal pelts like badgers, wolverines, lynx, etc could craft high level items with legendary properties like gloves and hats that offer a high amount of cold protection

Flint Knapping & Knapping Skill. Making metal arrowheads aren't the only way to subside on bow hunting. After all, the natives got by fine with stone arrowheads just fine and they are efficient and don't require coal or scrap metal, or modern tools to produce. 

Harvest antler and bone from deer! This would fit well with the previous skill since they are needed for flint knapping.

Archived