The Hunted: Great Bear Island Tour

Timber Wolf

1 hour ago, SnowWalker said:

I feel your pain brother. Been there, done that, hahaha. Just last night in my 'No Guns' game, I left TwM and got all the way to the Skeeter's Ridge basement (because I did not stop in at the abandoned cache) before I realized I left my lantern at Mountaineer's. .I'm thinking "Why, why why why do I put lanterns down when all I have to do is start a fire for light?!"

Oh yeah, it can be extremely frustrating when you've left something behind - especially way behind. 

It was double the fun with leaving my bedroll behind, because I had to make the trip from the Fishing Camp to the bottom of the Ravine twice.  The first time I did it I got down to the bottom and was about to go into the rail car and get the flare gun when my game froze!  So, I had to make the trip all over again and then realize I didn't have the bedroll! :D

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Timber Wolf said:

I'm not sure, maybe not.  In the early days I spent a lot of time in ML, but these days I spend most of my time on TWM and some in PV.

Me too. Remember way back at the beginning...they did have a system in place where you would wake up if you were freezing. They should have kept that in I think, to be realistic. In real life, you'd wake up if you were cold and make a fire. Long, long long before you'd ever die from freezing to death, lol. I've done it many times at a camp I used to go to during winter that had no electricity. It's a bummer because it's cold but you get up, quickly stoke the fire, jump back into bed.

I'm headed for FM right now. I went to TwM to find some flares in one of the crates since I'm playing 'no guns'. Just got back to Quonset which was my base. I had forgotten this but there were a bunch of arrowheads in the toolbox and birch and maple laying about the floor. Also some hides. It's been so long since I've played this 'no guns' game that I completely forgot about those and I can't remember for the life of me forging arrowheads, but I know I spent quite awhile in DP according to my journal. So anyway, had tons of feathers on me so I happily made me a bunch of arrows. I had the bow on me and an arrow or two that I guess I got at Katie's corner so, that's all right. I figure ML and FM will see me through to fifty days before the update comes out. Assuming I don't die that is. I'm not that great with the bow but I have a bunch of flares now and some good warm clothes and lots of food so I should be okay. I tried to shoot a deer last night on the bay but just missed by a hair. I wasn't that close and not that determined, but he ran off and a wolf got him. I scared the wolf away, tried to shoot him with the bow but missed but I got the carcass right in the butt, hahaha. Harvested the meat so I've got all that now too. I'll leave most of it at Quonset though. This game is so great.

1 hour ago, Timber Wolf said:

You can find some really useful information about using the bow here. :)

Yeah, I've read all the stuff. I still suck, lol, but thanks. I am getting better at it though, and I intend to practice more on this current game I'm on. I can shoot an animal with one if I'm fairly close and luck is on my side when I stand up. I've never really cared much about it before because I've always had a gun but now I'm worried that it might come into play in Wintermute. Might be necessary, I should say.

On 5/7/2017 at 9:38 PM, cekivi said:

@SnowWalker: Using blizzards to cross maps and avoid wolves is a useful trick ;) 

Lol I'm 100% sure that I already posted somewhere on here (this forum) about a Wolf killing me mid-blizzard. So, that idea doesn't work. Trust me. I speak from experience. In fact, your chances of survival lower because the blizzard sound effects take priority over Wolf sound effects; thus, giving you no warning that a Wolf is nearby.

Hahahaha!  I'm 100% sure too, because it was on the first page of THIS thread! :D

On 2/14/2017 at 4:53 PM, Deathdealers747 said:

I was just asking based on experience with the Challenge: Whiteout. I was harvesting a wolf carcass when out of nowhere came a full-on blizzard in 1.5-2 hours (during the harvest). I was far enough away from the one wolf and there was no other wolves in the area (I listened to their howls and there was only one howl and it was in front of me by about 200 yards). The problem was that I was on the iced ocean parts of Coastal Highway - so, I had serious trouble finding even so much as a Fishing Hut! I was following along the stuck logs - farther out towards the ocean and away from the Log Hut - and eventually found a Fishing Hut. Somehow, either the same wolf that was 200 yards in front of me or another wolf spawned, but there was a Wolf right next to the Fishing Hut. It came from behind me, attacked me out of nowhere (never heard so much as a growl), and almost killed me! I dropped down to 11% before getting warm, again, and sleeping for 2 hours. 

I didn't see him, hear him, or anything of the sort, but somehow that blizzard just didn't affect him. At this point in time, I actually question whether they built it into the AI of the animals as to whether the Blizzard is an encounter-able object for them or not. I know that we're still in Alpha, and that sometimes the realism of it all gets to you, but if this is the case, then I hope they change it soon. Blizzards should affect animal smells, hearing, sight, etc. the same as a Human - if not, more-so, due to the Wind Shifts and brute force of it.

On 2/14/2017 at 5:01 PM, cekivi said:

If I remember correctly animals should not spawn during a blizzard but any animals already created (i.e. visible to the player) will remain for the duration of the storm.

See my previous response ;)

I have crossed most of Pleasant Valley in a Blizzard to avoid wolves. But to pull it off I started from inside the Draft Dodger's Cabin after sleeping for a few hours to make sure all of the animals despawned. 

7 minutes ago, SnowWalker said:

Almost finished this. I'm reading it during breaks at work. Really interesting read.

I'm glad you are enjoying the story. :)

7 minutes ago, SnowWalker said:

OB scares the crap outta me, lol. I'd never have the guts to lure him all over the place :D

Not me.  He's my buddy!  :D

I remember once, I was telling someone that of all the enemies and bosses I've fought in games that Xeno from Alien: Isolation was the only one that truly terrified me. But at the same time that I was posting that sentiment I'm thinking to myself "Besides OB, that is) :D

1 minute ago, SnowWalker said:

But at the same time that I was posting that sentiment I'm thinking to myself "Besides OB, that is) :D

I will say that even though I've narrowly escaped his grasp hundreds of times (and not escaped it many times too), my heart still races a little whenever I have a close encounter with him.  I find the experience of having a bear charging at me is quite exhilarating!  He really keeps me on my toes. :ph34r:

1 minute ago, Timber Wolf said:

I find the experience of having a bear charging at me is quite exhilarating!  He really keeps me on my toes. :ph34r:

And it's not just that but it's also the trepidation of wondering where he is when you can't see or hear him. Wondering if you'll make the next leg without him popping up. He came out of nowhere when I was heading to Signal Hill from in the Homestead field and man, he got to me from way the heck away, pretty fast. I shot at him and missed somehow and he got me. So I didn't really trust the pistol to always save my butt.

1 minute ago, SnowWalker said:

I shot at him and missed somehow and he got me. So I didn't really trust the pistol to always save my butt.

When he is charging at you, it's important to either hit him with it or land it just in front of him.  If it goes over him or off to one side, it usually won't have any effect.  And once he gets close enough to you when charging, you'll be getting a "bear hug" no matter what you try to do.  ;)

10 minutes ago, Timber Wolf said:

it's important to either hit him with it or land it just in front of him.

Yeah, it went way over him, lol. I didn't realize then that he'll always stop first to size you up before jumping you, so I tried to shoot him while he was running up to me, probably about 300 ft away. I did stand him off once with a flare or brand, can't remember which, and backed up slowly. He stayed in place watching me and I got up some rocks and hid and he went away. I thought he knew I was up there but he lost me when I crouched and he left the area.

17 minutes ago, SnowWalker said:

I didn't realize then that he'll always stop first to size you up before jumping you

And the best time to fire at him is just as he gets stood up and roars before coming for you.  I keep the flare gun aimed just above his head and wait for him to stand up and then fire into the center of his body, which makes it easy to get it to stick to him and have a lasting effect. 

This is also my preferred method to hunt bears in normal sandbox games, at least until I run out of flare gun shells.

1 minute ago, Timber Wolf said:

This is my preferred method to hunt bears in normal sandbox games, at least until I run out of flare gun shells.

Haha, the only time I've ever hunted bears was when I wanted the achievement 'wrapped in furs'. Otherwise I just try to skirt them, and leave them alone. Once, way back when we first got 'Pilgrim' mode, I thought, I'm gonna go shoot me a bear in Pilgrim. So I shot at the one at Misanthrope's from up on the island and he was down on the ice. Got him but he turned and came after me, lol. Shot him again too, just before he jumped me. I thought, wth? I thought they didn't attack you in Pilgrim? I crawled into the cabin and survived anyway. The animals do attack in pilgrim if provoked. He did die though, he walked all the way to the waterfront cottages and then on the way back in between the island and shore, he died, and then I harvested him.

1 minute ago, Deathdealers747 said:

You'll be able to Throw Rocks on that one and catch rabbits by doing so! It should be fun, for sure. Especially, Throwing Rocks at OB! :D

Heck yeah!!  I'm really looking forward to messing with him with rocks (and the wildlife in general).  :D

2 minutes ago, Deathdealers747 said:

So, @Timber Wolf you're gonna have to start this all over when the new/final Sandbox update is released. Any idea how you're gonna do things this time around?

That's a good idea!  I'll have to come up with a different route and some different things to do, though.  Maybe I'll do one of those choose your own adventure type things and leave some decisions up to you guys. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived