Total amount of carryable weight

francoisb

Hi all!

I love the new clothing system. I think it's pretty realistic that you'd wear two pairs of pants, if you can, to keep warmer. I love that I can wear enough clothes to withstand -45 C weather. It's great. My only "complaint" is that I'm wearing 17 kg of clothes:

• Wolf's skin coat
  • Deerskin pants
  • Deerskin boots
  • Cochiwan sweater
  • Another kind of sweater
  • Work pants
  • Undergarments x2
  • Tuque, scarf, work gloves, socks

When you add the rifle (4 kg), food and water (at least 2 kg, closer to 4 kg usually), the mountaineering rope (5 kg!), a hunting knife and hatchet (1.5 kg) for emergencies, there is no room left for harvesting anything. That's why I prefer the survival bow: it's much lighter.

I wonder if I'm playing wrong, or if some of the weights need tweaking. I recently passed 100 hours played as well as 100 days in the same sandbox game.

Happy to field any comments!
François

Greetings @francoisb!

34 minutes ago, francoisb said:

I wonder if I'm playing wrong, or if some of the weights need tweaking.

There really isn't a "wrong" way to play.  Choosing what clothes you wear and how much they weigh, are just one of the kinds of decisions you have to make as you move through the game.  There are always pros and cons - some clothes are lighter and shield the wind better, other clothes are heavier and warmer or offer more protection against wolf attacks.  Depending on what you may be doing - hunting, gathering, exploring - there may be better clothing combinations than others.

The same goes for what you decide to put in your pack.  Are you going on a long trip, then maybe pack lighter foods such as cattails or energy bars.  Or don't carry a bow or rifle on long trips, unless you plan to hunt.  If you are planning to hunt, only bring what you need for the hunt.

In my opinion, the new clothing system has added a very welcome depth of strategy for choosing what to wear. 

I recently passed 100 hours played as well as 100 days in the same sandbox game.

Nice job! :)

Having certain clothing drain your maximum sprinting capabilities is a step in the good direction, now they ony need to lower the weight of any and all equipped items by atleast 50%
When items are worn, they weight is spread out across the body, it's no longer packed in a bag carried on one's shoulders and back. (This has been bugging me since day one, i feel your pain mate!)

~Hatchet

You know I really dislike the fact that in the beginning I am always at like maximum 66 pound weight, and walking around always sucked cuz I couldn't pick up any more stuff. And the clothing is just so heavy sometimes. When you have a base I find that you don't need 20000 calories on you if you need to go and collect fire wood. I would only bring some penute butter or am energy bar with enough water to fill it one bar.

In terms of carrying a certain amount of weight, you're not "playing the game wrong". Because of the new 'Resolute Outfitter' update, the weight balancing of clothing of the game was advanced on purpose. In the update video itself, Rafael describes how you must choose different clothing based on your plans for actions in the game, such as exploring with heavy clothing vs hunting/gathering with lighter clothing. Basically you have to swap out different clothes unless you find a good wardrobe which is balanced to protect you from everything, which has been my strategy since the update.

Once they get that in order, if they ever will, and i think they will because then they can start working on a mechanic that makes wet clothing weigh more than dry clothing (if they aren't working on that already).
And as far as i know, Hinterland Team likes this kind of logic.

~Hatchet

I am actually stashing certain outfits in certain areas.  Like my lovely bearskin coat - that gets left on Timberwolf Mountain along with rabbit skin gloves and a spare set of deer boots.  I've got a fairly warm, but lightweight and not offering a lot of protection pieces of an outfit that I leave areas where I'm currently schlepping stuff from.  And a high protection outfit for CH and other areas infested with wolves, as well as general exploring.

Archived