Pull a hat out of a rabbit? :)

vancopower

I've noticed that only headgear could not be crafted. Everything else is craftable, and with the new frostbite affliction hats are becoming some sort of a prize on the long run. So I propose that rabbit fur hat be introduced immediately. Since we can make complex clothing like coats and pants then how hard is it to stick 2 furs together and make a hat. Rabbit fur hat is long over due that is my opinion.  Also it kind of feels right, what is the first thing you will make when you have 2 rabbit furs gloves or hat. Keeping your ears warm is more important than your hands not to mention the disability of using your hands properly with gloves. 

• 5 months later...

I disagree with one particular notion, though - that you would put together only 2 hides. I feel like it should be more difficult to make than the gloves. It would be very warm, I imagine, but 5 hides and 3 or 4 guts seem more fair, as well as a fact that the hat would be very heavy, 0,8 to 1 kg I'd wager, maybe even more.

The picture of a hat looks fine, but if I was stuck in a situation like that with all that cold winds, I would want something that would at the very least cover my ears as well, ideally even my neck. (could even be 6 hides 4 guts and 1,25 kg)
This would be my preference:

Rabbit_Full_Fur_Russian_Ushanka_Hat_Brow

Most heat is lost from the neck area as well as the ends of the limbs - so as a ski instructor I would definitely suggest something that covers the neck as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been rooting for more rabbit skin uses ever since I joined this forum.  Here are some old ideas I came up with over 2 years ago:

1. Mend Clothing with Rabbits Pelts
    • Rather than trekking out in the middle of snow storm to stalk down a deer just to repair that small tear in your deerskin pants, why not use one of those rabbit pelts you have stacked up in a heaping mound on your cabin floor that you haven't found a use for yet? 9_9
    • Rabbit pelts can be used as a substitute material to repair fur clothing, though to a limited degree
    • The initial repair would use 1 rabbit pelt and 1 gut, and would repair the damaged article of clothing by up to 15%
    • The next repair would repair only 14%, then the next would repair only 13%, and so on until the fifth repair, which would repair the article of clothing one final time at only 10%
    • After that fifth repair, you would not be able to repair that piece of clothing until you repaired it atleast once with the animal pelt that currently does the job (i.e. deer pelt for deerskin boots, wolf pelt for wolf-skin jacket, etc.), in which case the next repair you perform with rabbit pelts would begin again at 15%
    • In total, the maximum amount you could repair any clothing item with rabbit pelts (excluding rabbit mittens and cap, of course) would be 70%
  2. Rabbit Fur Cap
    • A cap made out of warm, fluffy rabbit's fur.
    • Provides +2 C (+3.6 F) in felt temperature; +1.5 C(+2.7 F) in wind chill protection
    • Weighs 0.5 kg (1.1 lbs)
    • 50% Waterproof
    • 3% Protection
    • Recipe: requires 3 rabbit pelts, 2 guts,, 1 sewing kit and 8 hours to fabricate
    • Mends: 1 rabbit pelt, 1 gut, 30 minutes repairs 30%
5 hours ago, McArsekicker said:

I like it, but think it would be cool if they add a new animal like the fox. Make it more difficult to hunt and kill then the rabbit and add the craftable fox headwear.

My thoughts exactly.  Here's my own take on such an animal:

On 6/10/2017 at 1:39 AM, Muk_Pile said:
  On 10/4/2015 at 6:01 PM, Muk_Pile said:

I'd like it if they added a new predator to the mix. Something that doesn't directly threatens you but can make your life miserable just the same.

I'm talking about foxes and lynx, both of which prey exclusively upon small mammals (e.g. rabbits), so they would be perfect for cleaning up your left-over rabbit carcasses. However, they would also be very good at cleaning up the carcasses you haven't had the chance to harvest at all yet, denying you a precious calorie resource and making you life much more challenging. Of course, they themselves might get stuck in a snare along with the rabbits, allowing you to catch them red-handed.

They'd make oh so comfortable hats. ;)

Some animals like moose will eventually make it into the game, I think it would be much cooler if certain animals were rarer, and their hides were used to create better clothing. Basically a 'tier' upgrade in clothing. 
So for example, moose hides would have the same uses as deer hides since they are technically similar material, but mooseskin boots and pants would be better then their deerskin counterpart.

In this aspect, a snow fox could be a cool substitute for a rabbit pelt as a tier 2 clothing. Bearskin coat is already an improvement to the Wolfskin one. 
So, might as well have a rabbit hat included, and a better snow fox hat recipe available as well.

I don't agree with rabbit skin repairs of other leather goods, if anything, I think rabbit skins as well as other skins should be convertable into cured leather, but that is beside the point. Rabbit skin repairs of leather goods would make sense IRL, but in game it could make leather repairs way too easy, which breaks the point of the game - the challenge of getting materials to repair your clothes with. 

Also pointing it out, the recipe for a hat should be more difficult then the gloves, as hats have shown to be more "temp" valuable than gloves. So 5 rabbit skins is a bare minimum for a recipe.

6 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

I don't agree with rabbit skin repairs of other leather goods, if anything, I think rabbit skins as well as other skins should be convertable into cured leather, but that is beside the point. Rabbit skin repairs of leather goods would make sense IRL, but in game it could make leather repairs way too easy, which breaks the point of the game - the challenge of getting materials to repair your clothes with. 

Agreed.. also, rabbit skin is much thinner than the other skins. It doesn't have the same strength and durability, and would probably lead to more damage to the item, due to the uneven stresses involved. 

Wow this topic has grown, a lot :)  . 

On 8/13/2017 at 4:43 AM, Muk_Pile said:

I've been rooting for more rabbit skin uses ever since I joined this forum. 

Here is another idea: Why use cloth to forge weapons. Rabbit fur is far better option to use as a handle than cloth. Also we need some fish lines to hold it all together so instead of having 3 scrap metal and 1 cloth to forge improvised knife the recipe should be:

3 scrap metal 1 cured rabbit fur and 1 line.

5 scrap metal 1 cured rabbit fur and 2 line, for the improvised hatched.

That puts people who play interloper into a major disadvantage, as the idea is to create your own tools the soonest you can - which is mostly possible with cloth as that can be found. 
Unless it would be cured leather, and like I said, the hides could be turned into cured leather, but I imagine with a use of a knife.

• 3 weeks later...

#voteforRabbitUshanka2017?
Seriously, we need a craftable head piece. I know the Devs want us to suffer in TLD, but please, at least let us have a clothing sustainability... for the amount of rabbits one gets to hunt in this game, the lack of uses for rabbit hides is just sad.
With a full set of craftable leather clothing, I will finally feel a little bit less sad when I have to use some cloth for anything else but clothing repairs.

Archived