Untreated food poisoning should cause vomiting

thekillergreece

I don't think we actually need to have a visual representation of vomiting, but perhaps a sound effect combined with a big sudden loss of hydration?

While you've got the affliction, even if it's treated with meds, it should probably cause your food, water and fatigue bars to tank.

Perhaps just the sound of your character vomiting (and coughing, complaining about feeling nausea and gut cramps, etc.) at some point if it's a bad case of food poisoning, and your character could bend over for a moment when this happens...Not sure if people would appreciate seeing animated vomit however. Might be very off putting for some people, and seems unnecessary.

Food poisoning can also cause diarrhea, but nobody will want to see that. Some things that are realistic would be best left out of the game anyway.

In real life, it is the vomiting and diarrhea that kills you, not the food poisoning. Or, if you prefer, the food poisoning causes the vomiting and diarrhea, which kills you.

Dehydration is what gets you. And, dehydration would be my major concern in a TLD-style situation, not the cold.

14 hours ago, Nyarlathotep said:

A mouth full of snow [whilst certainly not an ideal solution] is pretty easy to find in the snow, whereas trying to find a place that is above -40c in a snowstorm that has an ambient temperature of -40 would be a rather pressing matter.

That is how you get hypothermia. Enjoy your death. Not to mention you will be losing metabolic heat from melting the snow, which is mostly air space. A good rule of thumb is "10 parts snow equals 1 part water". So, you would have to eat ten quarts of snow to get one quart of water. Not to mention that snow picks up stuff (pollutants and such) in the atmosphere, and bacteria from the ground.

As for the blizzard and negative temperatures... just bury into the side of a snowbank, preferably in a bank that is 90 degrees perpendicular to the direction of wind. Boom, a shelter that will not get below freezing, so long as you have enough snow around you. And raising the temperature when inside is trivial.

You apparently have very little, if any at all, survival training.

8 hours ago, Boston123 said:

That is how you get hypothermia. Enjoy your death. Not to mention you will be losing metabolic heat from melting the snow, which is mostly air space. A good rule of thumb is "10 parts snow equals 1 part water". So, you would have to eat ten quarts of snow to get one quart of water. Not to mention that snow picks up stuff (pollutants and such) in the atmosphere, and bacteria from the ground.

As for the blizzard and negative temperatures... just bury into the side of a snowbank, preferably in a bank that is 90 degrees perpendicular to the direction of wind. Boom, a shelter that will not get below freezing, so long as you have enough snow around you. And raising the temperature when inside is trivial.

You apparently have very little, if any at all, survival training.

Ummm... did you read the, "A mouth full of snow [whilst certainly not an ideal solution] is pretty easy to find in the snow" part ?

Whilst you seem to enjoy presuming I know "very little, if any at all" regarding survival situations, I guess it is safe for me to then assume then, that you have very little, if any at all comprehension when reading a small block of text.

So as not to insult anyone's intelligence and also to save everyone from ploughing through a wall of text regarding something as elementary as 'eating cold things makes you colder', I deliberately chose to omit that, to me, it kind of goes without saying. In hindsight, its now very clear that I should have put it in so as to save you the trouble of trying to spell something so obvious out.

Returning to my original point so as not to derail this thread, presented with the conditions of copious amounts of snow and neg 40c temperatures, dehydration [whilst it is certainly nothing to underestimate under many circumstances] is NOT your biggest concern.

I imagine if i was sitting next to you in these conditions, your 'professionalism' under this kind of pressure would extend no further than your internet connection, punctuated by your inability to think outside the box.

Archived