Nuclear Winter?

Yolan

We don't know a whole lot yet about what brings the world down in the Long Dark, except that it is kicked off by a natural event of some kind, connected with electromagnetic storm.

Given that the devs have talked about different seasons in future possible chapters of the game, we know that the very low temperatures don't -seem- to be global, or permanent (outside of sandbox). Rather, it is cold, because we are in Canada...

But something that would fit with the scenario could be nuclear winter, which has been getting a bit more attention lately.

https://fas.org/2017/01/turning-a-blind-eye-towards-armageddon-u-s-leaders-reject-nuclear-winter-studies/

Instead of a fallout-eque blasted landscape, you get a very cold planet, where everything freezes for a decade. That kind of fits quite nicely with Sandbox anyway. The winter becomes colder and colder, because the world is heading into a years long winter. The wolves more aggressive, because food is becoming so short.

I guess this is not what the devs are going with, but it would fit quite nicely with the game as it is so far. 

7 hours ago, Yolan said:

We don't know a whole lot yet about what brings the world down in the Long Dark, except that it is kicked off by a natural event of some kind, connected with electromagnetic storm.

Given that the devs have talked about different seasons in future possible chapters of the game, we know that the very low temperatures don't -seem- to be global, or permanent (outside of sandbox). Rather, it is cold, because we are in Canada...

But something that would fit with the scenario could be nuclear winter, which has been getting a bit more attention lately.

https://fas.org/2017/01/turning-a-blind-eye-towards-armageddon-u-s-leaders-reject-nuclear-winter-studies/

Instead of a fallout-eque blasted landscape, you get a very cold planet, where everything freezes for a decade. That kind of fits quite nicely with Sandbox anyway. The winter becomes colder and colder, because the world is heading into a years long winter. The wolves more aggressive, because food is becoming so short.

I guess this is not what the devs are going with, but it would fit quite nicely with the game as it is so far. 

While we haven't spoken specifically to the cause of the geomagnetic disaster in The Long Dark, that's a fascinating resource you've shared. Also a bit frightening, if I were to comment personally. Maybe the Cold War never really ended? Something to think about for sure. 

Scientific American had a write up on the effects of a limited nuclear war (India v Pakistan) a few years back. On that scale (100-200 warheads detonated) global temperatures dropped by 3C in the simulations if I remember correctly. Not anywhere close to the post-apocalypse type nuclear winter but still low enough to have a "year without sun" as seen when Krakatoa blew up.

This would be a pretty cool challenge mode, like the normal difficulty rampup just accelerated dramatically, or a "Whiteout" hardmode variant that you have to actually survive in for as long as possible. I'd play it.  After all, all that patrolling in the Mojave has made me wish for one.  ;)

Here's a link to an article I wrote for my old Terminator Blog (I wish I could remember my password for it  to update it lol) but this I wrote in 2009.

Issues for Humanity in a Post Judgment Day Nuclear Winter

This is actually without Skynet and it's Armies of Cyborgs.

There is a link to the article I was commenting on at the end of the article.

11 hours ago, nicko said:

Get playing the long dark - good practice for when it might happen. @RossBondReturns

Check out my AVA Run in the youtube section. It is my current sandbox and I am over 100 days now for the first time. I'm Uploading videos still and have a few more to edit and upload to be caught up to current. By that time it will be over 100 videos. I play The Long Dark way too much...I don't play The Long Dark enough! ;)

On 2017/2/7 at 6:46 AM, Patrick Carlson said:

While we haven't spoken specifically to the cause of the geomagnetic disaster in The Long Dark, that's a fascinating resource you've shared. Also a bit frightening, if I were to comment personally. Maybe the Cold War never really ended? Something to think about for sure. 

Given the circumstances of recent weeks, I find it all too uncomfortably real. And I'd just finally started to emotionally process climate change...

Archived