Chop down trees.

ColdWinter0

I know in the game, you cannot simply fell a tree with a hatchet. But say there can be an option in the game to find a "rare tool" which is a lumberjack's axe, as your in a location where the existence of previous lumberjacks is very possible.

And how chopping down trees would work, would be very rewarding, as you can get a hefty amount of wood and sticks, but it would be very time and calorie consuming. And there can be "progress" on the tree as well.  Like: 40% done, with little chipped textures on the tree. And when it falls down, you can then harvest it for wood with either Lumberjacks axe, Hatchet, or hacksaw. Oh, And you need flattish ground with some space for the tree to fall in. Not just doing it on a cluttered slope.

Wanted to get that thought out there.

The problem with that is it makes every tree intractable, and then every tree gets a health total before gravity kicks in and it falls. That would probably tax the resources of the game engine.

And if I could chop down trees, then I'll want to eat my lunch, and go to the lavatory, after that I will want to run down the Shop on Wednesdays for buttered scones.
Then the next day I'll chop down more trees and then I'll want to Skip and Jump, then press wild flowers and round out the day by putting on women's clothign and hanging around in bars.... Tree Chopping is a slippery slope my friend. We are not ready.

I am not implying that chopping down a tree will not take up so much time in real life, if that is what you are saying.

I am aware about the game engine, therefore there is no animation, just the tree being on the ground. (If that is what your refrencing.) No animation. And not every tree will be interactable, cause I would find it a bit odd to chop down a tree on a literal slippery slope. Only a select few, like a rare resource. Therefore, there is a "balance" In the game.

Here is an idea: Since full time seasons is eventually going to be implemented, why not make birch and maple saplings grow into full trees. Especially birch trees which can grow to full size in a year.  So instead of making every tree interactable make saplings grow.  Also birch trees are easier to cut down because they are thin, a kid could do it. Then maybe the survivor could collect seeds from the birch tree and plant them in a location he/she desires which will grow into saplings this year and the next year into trees and so on :) 

I thought chopping down trees would be great too, and would definitely want an animation after all that work!  Like a scary "oh crap" sort of awe moment animation.

BUT, then someone reminded me of the real issue here (beyond CPU processing time) is green wood drying time... fresh wood can take 6 months to 2 years to dry (season) enough to burn. Fresh wood burns very poorly if at all... 

Now if we were building cabins, storage bins, or meat smoking shacks, green wood could be useful.

Given that all we have is a hatchet, and the vast engine and gameplay considerations to making every tree interactable, maybe what would work is to add a new tree "type" that can be cut down.  Something maybe 2-3x taller than a sapling but still not one of the big-ole full size trees.  Hovering over it would pop up "Young Cedar" or "Dead Fir" or something similar, to indicate its suitability to be felled for firewood.  When clicked, the screen would darken to black, play the chopping noise, and two or so hours would pass.  You'd return to find a stump surrounded by 0-1 large limbs, and 2-3 normal limbs of the appropriate type.  I think this'd accomplish the tree-felling idea with a minimal amount of new items or systems!

Archived