Arrows lost in Animals

ernestww

In my current run I shot a deer with the bow near Carter Dam.  I could see the arrow protruding from the deer as it bled out and dropped.  The arrow was under the deer and unrecoverable so I marked the spot with tinder and returned the following day but seemingly my arrow had  despawned along with the deer.  

Later I killed a rabbit and the arrow vanished, maybe under the rabbit?  I haven't returned to that point yet to see if its anywhere around the despawned dead rabbit.

As arrows are a resource intensive item its disconcerting to loose them unnecessarily. :) 

Next time it happens, try to crouch and carefully inspect the snow close to the carcass, moving the mouse pointer right below it: even if the arrow is below it and hidden by the snow surface, it might still be close enough that your pointer can "see" it, offering you to pick it up.

I lately recovered this way most of the arrows that I initially thought lost under the animal.

(works best with small animals like deer and wolves)

On 2/5/2017 at 3:16 PM, Coccolo said:

Next time it happens, try to crouch and carefully inspect the snow close to the carcass, moving the mouse pointer right below it: even if the arrow is below it and hidden by the snow surface, it might still be close enough that your pointer can "see" it, offering you to pick it up.

I lately recovered this way most of the arrows that I initially thought lost under the animal.

(works best with small animals like deer and wolves)

Hi Coccolo,

I wanded over every square millimeter.  If the arrows were there, they were undetectable.  Maybe they should implement a garden trowel for digging for arrows!

I have had cases often, like you described, where the arrow is not visible but is detectable with mouse searching. 

In RL I shoot a crossbow for target shooting and hunting.  It is very easy to lose a bolt under the turf or, even worse, snow.  Even more disconcerting than in game as a RL hunting bolt can cost over $25, LOL!  I had a bolt go into grass and travel 2 meters under the surface. I had to make perpendicular cuts with a knife for some distance to find the bolt buried 5 cm under the ground. In modestly deep snow, if you miss, forget that arrow until spring, it could be many meters from the impact point.

So I guess the game is not so bad! LOL!

• 2 months later...

Archived