pigbull320

Finding a dry stick in the snow during a snowstorm seems a bit unrealistic. Maybe make sticks have a 'wetness' that can be cured by just having them in your backpack and your 'feels like' temperature high enough for long enough. Or staying out of the wind or near a fire could dry it. Maybe wet sticks result in the chance of a fire starting to be lower and or result in them not burning as long. And if the wetness level is high enough could result in lowering the fires burn time.

Maybe an option while in a fire like cooking or melting water could be 'dry wood' and you place wood near the fire and it dries it over time.

The thing is, if you put wet wood on a fire, it will smolder the flames until the branch is dried and then becomes viable fuel. If one were to put 'wet wood' on a fire or in a stove, the time and fire condition analog should be directly sent to 'embers'. In this case the fuel would still be there but is still drying, which requires you to put on dry wood in order to keep your fire from dying.

yes, i was always wondering how is that i cant cure the wood when inside to have better chance of making fire. i understand that outside its difficult to make fire with sticks but inside with old dry wood it should be a lot easier. same curing as with skins/guts would work perfectly

On 5.2.2017 at 3:58 PM, pigbull320 said:

Finding a dry stick in the snow during a snowstorm seems a bit unrealistic. Maybe make sticks have a 'wetness' that can be cured by just having them in your backpack and your 'feels like' temperature high enough for long enough. Or staying out of the wind or near a fire could dry it. Maybe wet sticks result in the chance of a fire starting to be lower and or result in them not burning as long. And if the wetness level is high enough could result in lowering the fires burn time.

Maybe an option while in a fire like cooking or melting water could be 'dry wood' and you place wood near the fire and it dries it over time.

I was just about to suggest the same thing when I saw your topic. The mechanic for wetness that is already in the game works fine. They just need to add that to the wood. Also wet wood could not start a fire at all so if you need fire fast better pack some reclaimed wood from inside, the chemicals used to preserve it make it more resistant to wetness. Sticks dry out pretty fast so I don't thing that wetness should apply to them. Maybe 2 conditions wet sticks which will turn into dry sticks after a while. 

In your backpack for a few hours or inside for a few hours would dry them out. And keeping them in your bag would keep them dry. So just take some sticks with you. I never leave without 3 sticks, 1 accelerant, 12 wood matches, 3 tinder, and a fire striker. Try for a fire twice then on the last try I use accelerant. 

Archived