Character selection

pigbull320

As of right now we have the choice between a female and a male character why is there no cobra attack helicopter character you sexists!

It would be cool if there were other characters that had different traits. For example the male being able to carry more but requires more calories. The female having more stamina and such. But get cold easier.

They could have good and bad traits. Maybe you have to unlock characters for the sandbox by either defeating the challenges, completing an episode in story mode. Or getting achievements in sandbox such as survive 20-40 days.

Would add an extra element to survival when selecting difficulty and area's.

I think all characters should have identical stats, but I would really like player model customization (skin color, facial hair, facial features, normal hair, hair color, etc). This would allow our diverse community to feel more welcome I think. But along with what you said, I mentioned a few days ago that there should be a badge earned for carrying a certain amount of weight over a certain amount of time, which will reward you to being able to carry 3-5 more kilos while still being able to sprint.

Just now, NorseRaven99 said:

I think all characters should have identical stats, but I would really like player model customization (skin color, facial hair, facial features, normal hair, hair color, etc). This would allow our diverse community to feel more welcome I think. But along with what you said, I mentioned a few days ago that there should be a badge earned for carrying a certain amount of weight over a certain amount of time, which will reward you to being able to carry 3-5 more kilos while still being able to sprint.

Check out my post Weight muscle kind of similar to yours. Think we even talked about making it a feat. 

Also before I thought of character stats i thought about allow player model customization. But that's not hinterlands style and I prefer their unique approach to everything they do whether it's gameplay or art. Adding player model customization would tamper with their unique style I think. That's why I just suggested something new (that i know of).

7 hours ago, pigbull320 said:

As of right now we have the choice between a female and a male character why is there no cobra attack helicopter character you sexists!

It would be cool if there were other characters that had different traits. For example the male being able to carry more but requires more calories. The female having more stamina and such. But get cold easier.

They could have good and bad traits. Maybe you have to unlock characters for the sandbox by either defeating the challenges, completing an episode in story mode. Or getting achievements in sandbox such as survive 20-40 days.

Would add an extra element to survival when selecting difficulty and area's.

The differences between the male and female survivors that you suggested would add to realism, but I don't see Hinterland doing that. As a female, let me say this, I hate the fact that I get cold easily and especially so during certain times. So I wouldn't be too eager to see that level of realism, though I could get behind starting out with a character that is weaker, and progressively gains the ability to carry more.

Though I most often play in Voyager, I always randomize location.

Wow, I need to get out on the internet more often or off it altogether...

I sexually Identify as an Attack Helicopter. Ever since I was a boy I dreamed of soaring over the oilfields dropping hot sticky loads on disgusting foreigners. People say to me that a person being a helicopter is Impossible and I’m fucking retarded but I don’t care, I’m beautiful. I’m having a plastic surgeon install rotary blades, 30 mm cannons and AMG-114 Hellfire missiles on my body. From now on I want you guys to call me “Apache” and respect my right to kill from above and kill needlessly. If you can’t accept me you’re a heliphobe and need to check your vehicle privilege. Thank you for being so understanding.

It's a funny way to make fun of people that take this kind of thing seriously. I used to not be into this kind of thing like normal people. But after discovering FunnyJunk i've never been the same. I urge everyone reading this to stay away from sides like that and 4chan. I bring dishonor to my family.

Also back on topic. Did you like my idea mystifeid? Or think of any way to improve upon it?

19 minutes ago, pigbull320 said:

Also back on topic. Did you like my idea mystifeid? Or think of any way to improve upon it?

I think I gave the idea +1 but the Oldtimers Disease makes it hard to remember...

There have been other suggestions along the same lines - this was mine:

On 10/28/2016 at 10:54 AM, Timber Wolf said:

I like this idea a lot. 

Although I don't really see them implementing a choice of age, but maybe down the road they could add a couple more characters.  The characters could be of different ages and there could be advantages and disadvantages to choosing each of them.  This would add another level of strategy right from the beginning of the game!

I agree with this guy. But it would be cool if a few of the characters were either old or young. As well as fat and skinny, smart, dumb, strong weak. Etc.

Maybe six characters each having balanced traits. Fat guy learns faster and repairs things better, eats more, less stamina, etc. Fit guy could be dumb, takes longer to read books and craft, has higher carry limit, eats a bit more than normal but not as much as fat guy stronger against wolf attacks. Etc for the rest of the characters each being better in one feat than another.

An old guy that's good with guns. A little girl that makes loot spawn more. Some characters could even have better mental states if they add that in.

I was thinking more on the lines of custom characters, where the player edits how their character looks (or chooses a random look). This would be more important if the game had a multiplayer mode, but most people like to customize their character at least a little anyway. There are so many possibilities here: Tattoos, body piercings, jewelry, scares (scares could appear during game-play tho - like from a bear attack), hair style, hair color, hair length, body hair, birthmarks, freckles, skin color, eye color, body type, weight, height, age...Not that all of this stuff would be added of course, but to give you an idea of what else could be included.

I really don't like that :( It's really not the game's style.... Harsh realistic survival game. This turns it into a fun exploration game with RPG elements and fun adventuring with friends. Multiplayer I feel would make the game too easy. Keep it singleplayer 100%. Don't do what so many games have done and ruin a good thing. :( I just like the uniqueness of the game and thought my pre-built characters would fit better with them. They will probably keep only male and female. And leave it at that. Custom characters will just never happen.

2 hours ago, pigbull320 said:

I really don't like that :( It's really not the game's style.... Harsh realistic survival game. This turns it into a fun exploration game with RPG elements and fun adventuring with friends. Multiplayer I feel would make the game too easy. Keep it singleplayer 100%. Don't do what so many games have done and ruin a good thing. :( I just like the uniqueness of the game and thought my pre-built characters would fit better with them. They will probably keep only male and female. And leave it at that. Custom characters will just never happen.

So I take it you are against the inclusion of a separate multiplayer mode for the game? Because if they added multiplayer, I doubt they would put an end to the single player modes, such as Sandbox, Challenge, and Story modes.

I see nothing wrong with adding more exploration. It is set in a large open world with multiple regions, so we already have exploration, and exploration seems like a natural element to this style of game anyway. I think more exploration would only add to the game, rather than take away from it. It wouldn't take away realism, nor survival, nor harshness - actually, it's far more likely to advance all three of those things.

I can see the appeal of pre-built characters as well (tho I would still hope for the option of customization, which there is nothing wrong with either). They could add even just a few more characters, which I'm sure would be largely appreciated by the fan community overall, and those who don't like it for some reason could just stick with the original 2 characters and ignore any new ones...Not sure why they would, but if it makes them happy.

Why would you say that custom characters will never happen? Perhaps pre-build characters is more likely, but what rules out custom characters?

Just doesn't seem like something they would do. Too open. The game is very closed and set.

Also I meant more along the lines of instead of it being a survival game it become a idk... Hard to explain. Fun? game...

Idk. again hard to explain really.

If they did add customizable characters you could probably only customize their special ability that had a negative trait come with it. Actually customizing nose, height, width, ears, eyes, and stuff like skyrim would be very very far from their style. But I guess you never know...

1 hour ago, pigbull320 said:

Just doesn't seem like something they would do. Too open. The game is very closed and set.

Also I meant more along the lines of instead of it being a survival game it become a idk... Hard to explain. Fun? game...

Idk. again hard to explain really.

If they did add customizable characters you could probably only customize their special ability that had a negative trait come with it. Actually customizing nose, height, width, ears, eyes, and stuff like skyrim would be very very far from their style. But I guess you never know...

Sandbox style games do involve a fair amount of exploration. This game isn't linear as it is - altho Story mode I imagine will be linear, but even so there is still exploration. What I'm saying is I wouldn't be concerned about loss of realism/survival/harshness from more exploration, but rather it is more likely to add more to those game features/mechanics...If we really value realism/survival/harshness in this game, it would make more sense to be in favour of more exploration, especially if we don't want the game to feel linear.

I think most of us do get enjoyment out of the survival factor of the game. I think the developers are taking this seriously as well, so I don't think we need to worry - not that we shouldn't discuss it too of course.

I could settle for customizing the character's ability, but I would still want a few more sets of pre-built characters at the very least, which would add realistic diversity, which could effect other features in the game - like how dead bodies are all white males that look identical. We might see more variety with that, which would be more realistic and immersive, and less redundant.

Even just a few customization to the characters' appearance would be nice. They don't have to make it very complex. I really would like to see more representation (whether from pre-built characters or custom) to include different peoples, such as people of African or Asian or Indigenous decent...But at the end of the day, even if we cannot change our personal character, it would be nice to see diverse NPCs - which seems very likely anyway, as they are adding NPCs at some point, and each NPC would be a unique character.

8 hours ago, pigbull320 said:

Keep in mind they have to put the backers in the game. So they might make a character for each one of the ones that gave like 1000$ or something.

They might just be random npc's tho. Or corpses. 

We will have to wait and see...

Wow cougars will be a treat. Looks like we're going to be able to upgrade/repair buildings and chop trees maybe. Also trading/interaction with NPC's. Maybe we can rob them or vise versa. All affecting our character's mental state. Looks like they plan on adding that in as well. Really hope they don't go too extreme and allow us to construct houses and chop down trees. Hope axe just allows to harvest faster. And upgrading the house is limited to maybe a freezer and making it warmer. Or creating a workbench/cooking stations.

Archived