porcupine !!

alone sniper

Porcupines are vegetarians. While they could survive the cold I don't know if they would survive the food shortages in the berries department. Beyond that I don't know where exactly TLD takes place, we know its canada. But is it south? I think I remember reading that somewhere. If it's south canada then porcupines could be there. I don't know much about them, seems like a really wierd idea, but could actually be a really good one. I like it.

• 2 years later...

Good thing I searched before making a new topic :)  Here are my thoughts on the porcupine:

Porcupines - more common in deepest wilderness areas. Primarily nocturnal, stay close to dens in winter. What makes them interesting? They pose more danger to your equipment than your body. They will reduce condition of leather and wood items left outside. Also could be a source of an animal-unique condition “quill-riddled”: Very painful and time consuming to heal, BUT no infection risk (Porcupines actually have antibiotics in skin and quills to protect themselves from self-inflicted jabs!).

This could be a very rare animal that is a relatively easy kill but provides a safe, high calorie meat. Quills could be collected, for strictly decorative purposes.

From Alaska Dept of Fish and Game website “The porcupine can be easily approached and killed with a club because of its plodding gait. This trait has saved the lives of hungry Natives, trappers, and miners in times past. For this reason, although the hunting season is open all year with no bag limit, many people do not kill porcupines without cause. Some people find the meat too strong, but in some areas of the state, porcupines with their heavy layer of fat are considered a delicacy.”