Where in Canada Does the Game Take Place?

JomoKiN

I've gotten back into writing as of late and had an idea for a story inspired by The Long Dark. That is, person gets stranded in a frozen wasteland, at its barest bones. 
        I was trying to map out a place in Canada that's similar to the region in game: Coastal area with large mountain ranges, as well as one that, based on the games art, isn't frozen year round.
    Any ideas?

I have always imagined it taking place somewhere on west coast of British Columbia, north of Vancouver Island and South of the Alaskan Panhandle, near the coast - Highway 16 along the Skeena river.

It makes some sense as Hinterland is located in Cumberland on Vancouver Island and no doubt takes their inspiration from the west coast.  We also need a highway of which there aren't many around there - so Hwy 16 stands out.  We need Ocean, River, Whaling, Logging, commercial fishing, a railroad - it all fits.

It could be Northern Vancouver Island, but that doesn't quite seem north enough, or remote enough to me.  Also the railroad goes to Prince Rupert (along the Skeena Valley I think) so that fits as well.

Also, there are no Moose on Vancouver Island so if they introduce that as they seem to be planning, that puts it on the mainland.

2 hours ago, ernestww said:

I have always imagined it taking place somewhere on west coast of British Columbia, north of Vancouver Island and South of the Alaskan Panhandle, near the coast - Highway 16 along the Skeena river.

It makes some sense as Hinterland is located in Cumberland on Vancouver Island and no doubt takes their inspiration from the west coast.  We also need a highway of which there aren't many around there - so Hwy 16 stands out.  We need Ocean, River, Whaling, Logging, commercial fishing, a railroad - it all fits.

It could be Northern Vancouver Island, but that doesn't quite seem north enough, or remote enough to me.  Also the railroad goes to Prince Rupert (along the Skeena Valley I think) so that fits as well.

Also, there are no Moose on Vancouver Island so if they introduce that as they seem to be planning, that puts it on the mainland.

Thank you for the reply! I'll look into the area and do some research on it! :)

On 2/5/2017 at 11:10 AM, JomoKiN said:

Thank you for the reply! I'll look into the area and do some research on it! :)

If you are writing a book, a rail or car trip to Prince Rupert may fill you with inspiration :) 

Perhaps travel via car through the Caribou region and hit Quesnel, Barkerville (old Gold Rush town), Smithers, Terrace, then west to Prince Rupert.

There is a ferry that makes the trip back to Vancouver Island from Prince Rupert that is very beautiful if you get a daytime sailing.

Archived