a good base in FM or ravine

AZHockeyNut

has anyone come up with a good base for longer term survival in FM? the house with the forge seems logical but its not the best to resist weather and wolves. the dual entry cave is nice but no workbench or bed.... the box car? seems like no solid area for bases unlike the other maps.

what about living in the ravine for a while.... no wolves....deer are around, rabbits, no work bench but damn is not too far away, a few saplings....then there is the area down below.... curious if anyone has tried to stay there for awhile.

14 hours ago, AZHockeyNut said:

what about living in the ravine for a while.... no wolves....deer are around, rabbits, no work bench but damn is not too far away, a few saplings....then there is the area down below.... curious if anyone has tried to stay there for awhile.

Whenever I travel through the Ravine, I very much enjoy living inside the cave near the entry to ML for one or two weeks.

There are three deer  nearby and good places to build snares in the area, not even to mention the vast amount of sticks. To gain acess to a workbench, the dam is only a one minute (rl time) walk away. And one doesn't have to be afraid of cabin fever at all while living inside the ravine cave.

Besides, temperatures are pretty forgiving in this region. Even in late-game Interloper, you can sleep through nocturnal blizzards without a fire inside this cave as long as you have a set of maximum warmth fur clothes.

Edit:

I've moved this thread to the "How to play" forum as it's more about advice than about feedback.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the Ravine is a great place to practice bow-hunting deer as it is almost impossible to lose your arrows. On other maps the deer can run off and may not ever be found again, but in the Ravine they simply can't run very far and you should easily find the dead deer and arrow. And, of course, no wolves to get in the way, or take down the deer and then attack you when you get too close, etc. Live in the cave if you wish, but given that the Dam is so close, that's the logical location (for me) to make my base -- good temps, crafting table, plenty of storage, inside location so you can cure skins and guts, etc.

On 2017. 02. 05. at 10:51 AM, Scyzara said:

Even in late-game Interloper, you can sleep through nocturnal blizzards without a fire inside this cave as long as you have a set of maximum warmth fur clothes.

I have "normal" clothing, nothing special, but I am always around +5/+11 in any open caves. Interloper, 109 days. (I gave the name "open cave" to those, that can not be explored, according to TLD gameplay convention.)

In details: 1 working boots/2 wool socks/2 thermal underwears/1 jeans/1 combat pants/2 sweatshirts/1 normal parka/1 ski jacket/1 canadian toque/1 wool scarf/1 working gloves.

That's possible, but during blizzards in the early morning hours the temperatures inside such open caves can get much colder than during daytime blizzards or nights without blizzards. Clothes that may have been sufficient to keep you above 0°C under standart conditions will then suddenly not be enough any more. ;)

12 hours ago, Scyzara said:

That's possible, but during blizzards in the early morning hours the temperatures inside such open caves can get much colder than during daytime blizzards or nights without blizzards. Clothes that may have been sufficient to keep you above 0°C under standart conditions will then suddenly not be enough any more. ;)

You are right. Thinking of it, I experienced this only once or twice. But the point is, that I don't believe even full-fur clothing would be enough in that case. I made a rough calculation some days ago, and found, that animal clothing is superior by around 10C compared to my present clothing. And this is simply not enough, neither in open caves.

Well, at least I've never died in my sleep during hundreds of nights I've spend in caves so far. (But I'm usually only sleeping 2-3h in a row, so I always notice when my character gets too cold before it has any severe consequences). The TWM and PV caves are indeed occasionally too cold during nocturnal blizzards, so I was sometimes forced to start a fire in these caves. But the other maps are generally warmer and as far as I remember I never had to light a fire in any ML, CrH or Ravine cave. ;)

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 11:06 AM, gossuth said:

Live in the cave if you wish, but given that the Dam is so close, that's the logical location (for me) to make my base -- good temps, crafting table, plenty of storage, inside location so you can cure skins and guts, etc.

I agree that for longterm Ravine survival the dam is your best bet for accommodation. But for the record and for people who want to live in the ravine proper, you can cure hides and guts in the back of any cave that has a warmth bonus. 

On 3/3/2017 at 4:04 PM, GorillaDust said:

But for the record and for people who want to live in the ravine proper, you can cure hides and guts in the back of any cave that has a warmth bonus. 

I had no idea this was a thing!

I spent about 8 days down at the bottom of the ravine while I waited for a bear skin to finish curing (elsewhere) - but I did bring extra food for rabbit off cycle days - but I do prefer the cave near the entrance.  I haven't found a satisfactory place in FM.  Mostly because the wild life respawns very quickly.  I ended up living at the forge and curing my hides in the cave heading back towards ML.  Less aggressive wild life in that direction.  Ultimately, I spent far less time in FM than any of the other maps.  Dealing with the wolves was a lot like the panhandler scene in Airplane!

Marsh Ridge is a great place to live in FM using a snow shelter inside the half cave area. There is the cave with loading screen if you need to cure guts or a blizzard gets too intense, deer and rabbit spawn, lots of wood, and you never need to worry about wolves in your home base area. The one downside is that it is far from the crafting bench and forge.

12 minutes ago, sarudak said:

Marsh Ridge is a great place to live in FM using a snow shelter inside the half cave area. There is the cave with loading screen if you need to cure guts or a blizzard gets too intense, deer and rabbit spawn, lots of wood, and you never need to worry about wolves in your home base area. The one downside is that it is far from the crafting bench and forge.

so far that's the best one I can come up with too. just have to plan crafting/forging runs but at least you do not have to go all the way to the Riken for that.

• 2 weeks later...

To be honest, I've always just hung out at the box car and hunted from that overhanging tree. There are wolf and bear that come within easy shot of that tree, so it's just too easy to pass up. Every so often you have to make the trip out to the force/workbench for crafting, and other trips to cure guts/hides/saplings. But the box car is my primary base in FM.

Archived