Corpses to Tombstones

katiebour

I hate having a corpse stink up my otherwise lovely base.  Plus given the future implementation of sanity/willpower, cohabiting with the dead would probably not be great for one's mental health.

Whether you make a cairn or bury them in snow (imagine it however you'd like) the easiest way to implement it, to me, would be this:

Player walks up to fully looted corpse; option 'Bury body' is available.  When selected, screen fades to black and time passes/calories burn at the same rate as 'Pass Time.' Action always takes 4 hours, not possible to cancel once started (alternatively if cancelled, must start over from beginning.)

End result- corpse is removed, tombstone appears in a pre-determined location nearby.  So you bury the guy in the camp cabin, his body disappears, and a cross (same skin as the ones outside Trapper's Homestead) appears outside the cabin.  Each corpse has a grave spot assigned to it that spawns a tombstone when you bury it.

For corpses that attract crows/feathers, the grave could accumulate feathers as your creepy winged visitors stop by.   (Although to be honest I'd rather trap birds to get feathers and meat, and have the crows and their noise disappear once you bury the body.)

Perhaps burying of the corpses could involve collection of certain materials first. I know that currently wood and branches spawn, but over the last few major updates, we've seen new rocks, so why not make rocks spawnable items that we can collect for purposes such as burying the dead. Another option could be to burn the bodies, although I'm not sure how hot the fire would have to be but again, that would involve collection of materials.

Archived