How my bow broke down

Vinceofpyrenees

Voyageur experience, with a bow at 30% condition : I shot 6 arrows in the snow (targeting a dead corpse) to improve my own proficiency. The bow is broken now, 0%.

How could be so fast to ruin it ? I can't find the wood to craft a bow every week and it's boring. Normally it's the kind of thing a survivor can be proud to have crafted one, because this thing would long-lasting and so considerably increase mental faith for the future of the adventure.

3 hours ago, Vinceofpyrenees said:

I shot 6 arrows in the snow (targeting a dead corpse) to improve my own proficiency.

This should do nothing and should be a waste of the condition of your bow and arrows. If you have found otherwise and have received archery skill points for hitting a corpse then afaik that would be an exploit.

How could be so fast to ruin it ?

It is because you are unskilled and ruin your equipment quickly with use. You may find that at a higher level the condition loss is considerably reduced.

I can't find the wood to craft a bow every week and it's boring.

There is enough maple in the world to make a very large number of bows but you will need to move around to find it. It is much more probable that you will use all of the birch making arrows before you run out of maple. However, I can't speak for your boredom.

6 hours ago, mystifeid said:

This should do nothing and should be a waste of the condition of your bow and arrows. If you have found otherwise and have received archery skill points for hitting a corpse then afaik that would be an exploit.

Mysunderstanding. I shot to improve my own skill IRL. And I didn't receive skill points.

It is because you are unskilled and ruin your equipment quickly with use. You may find that at a higher level the condition loss is considerably reduced.

Ok, it's better than nothing. But, I think skill shoudn't affect the condition loss from shoot. Only dexterity. When I'v learn archery (IRL), I've never broke down a bow, only missed target, ..and affraid someguys.

There is enough maple in the world to make a very large number of bows but you will need to move around to find it. It is much more probable that you will use all of the birch making arrows before you run out of maple. However, I can't speak for your boredom.

Yes I know the logic of cunsumerism natural items all the time. But if if they understand that surviving is more an idead of preservation of ressouces and spartan consumerism, they should loot LESS mapple and make LESS condition loss. Because I'm bored to think about condition of a bow when I shoot, eve if I have enough ressources to craft another one. It's not the way of survey, create a bow every week or every two days when at level 1.

At this point, bow condition loss make us dependant of crafting new ones all the time rather than make us a little enfranchise about cartridge consumption. I thought i would liberate about this ammunition dependance when i found this bow, because arrows are pretty reusable.

But I didn't imagine to break a bow like that. Even less gain skill points while crafting arrows, that don't make any sense.

Archery skill should increase irregardless of the target. Using a corpse as a target seems dark and needlessly inhumane. Using a frozen carcass as a target could be hard on the arrows, not the bow.

I have also observed premature failure of the bow for unexplained reasons. I think it's a bug.

Yes I know the logic of cunsumerism natural items all the time. But if if they understand that surviving is more an idead of preservation of ressouces and spartan consumerism, they should loot LESS mapple and make LESS condition loss. Because I'm bored to think about condition of a bow when I shoot, eve if I have enough ressources to craft another one. It's not the way of survey, create a bow every week or every two days when at level 1.

At this point, bow condition loss make us dependant of crafting new ones all the time rather than make us a little enfranchise about cartridge consumption. I thought i would liberate about this ammunition dependance when i found this bow, because arrows are pretty reusable.

But I didn't imagine to break a bow like that. Even less gain skill points while crafting arrows, that don't make any sense.

I'd be quite happy if the equipment never lost condtion but as it is, something like five bows lasts me 200 days so it's not a big deal. My first bow gets me to level 3 and my second to level 4 where condition loss per use is halved.

The chance of your bow breaking completely most likely increases with condition loss but it's hard to be sure about without some official response. I hope so anyway because features like this help to make the game less predictable.

And I'd agree that gaining skill points for crafting arrows is nonsensical. I would prefer it if skill could only be gained by hitting wildlife. I would enjoy the game more if it were much harder to gain archery skill. If archery skill books were introduced instead of skill points for arrows then I could at least choose not to read the skill books.

I have to say that, in general, I tend to side with @Vinceofpyrenees on this issue.   In thinking about the mechanics of using a bow, the use of the bow might wear the string to a degree but to have a 5% loss of the life of the bow for every arrow shot, even if the users skill is at level 1, seems excessive to me.

I could see where at lower skill levels poor marksmanship might cause missing of the target or lack of penetration, but to reduce the life of the bow by 5% simply because the person shot something, this seems to me to be an arbitrary mechanic that doesn't achieve any goal other than to penalize the user unduly.

I believe that  there should be some degree of degradation of the bow for low level users in the range of 3% every two shots. Have that percentage stay in place for two levels and then that be reduced to 2%  for levels three and four, while still having the percentage of loss being for every two shots. Then at level four reduce the degradation down to 1% every two shots and keep that until you reach level five.

Now at level five,  I believe that the degradation of the bow should only occur 1% every five shots. Supposedly, according to the dialogue in the game, at level five you are a master of the bow. So that should mean that you are capable of maintaining that bow in tiptop condition no matter the environmental conditions.

This same mechanic should apply to the arrows.

just my 2¢

1 hour ago, L² said:

In thinking about the mechanics of using a bow, the use of the bow might wear the string to a degree but to have a 5% loss of the life of the bow for every arrow shot, even if the users skill is at level 1, seems excessive to me.

In Interloper at least, bows degrade at 2% per shot in Levels 1, 2 and 3. This is reduced at Level 4. And when we are talking about making home made bows with no experience, having some considerable degradation with use is probably not unreasonable.

We are making the bows in-game from green wood. A couple days worth of drying time isn't nearly enough to adequately dry the stave. Traditionally, you shape the stave first, then let it dry, then finalize the tiller.

This means that, whenever the bow gets strung and shot, it loses a bit of power due to the stave conforming to the new shape.

Archived