And so it ends

LonelySurvivor

My first "decent" Interloper run 81 days of suffering ended by unfortunate circumstances (or maybe a bug). The thing to take away from this run though is that at no point did I ever feel comfortable for long periods of time - in fact I think it does become a little "too" intense (-40C air temperature and its not even a blizzard? Damn) the way you have to manage everything and be mindful of every step. It was 81 days of struggle with little wins here and there.

I had a bow, and decent clothes (+20/+11) and yet I was still struggling, never my tummy full for long periods.

Spawned in TWM and headed straight to CH where I stayed until I could make snares and live off rabbits and fish with some comfort living out of the fishing village and rabbit island. Looted what I could and went to DP to work the forge. Came back with knifes, hatches and arrowheads. Only thing missing was a bedroll and a magnifying glass and then I would have this game in the bag I thought.

Found both items at ML, killed enough wolves for a coat. Finished my deer pants and boots and came back to PL to stock up, kill the second bear and claim my "win" at the top of TWM or so I thought. The end would come soon... it was a normal day like any other: cold and crappy but the meat stock was running low and I headed out in search of deer. I should have known my luck was running out when I missed the shot and broke the bow at the same time - I go forward to pick up the arrow and as I turn 2 wolves spawn in front of me (it would be impossible for them to be there before I picked the arrow and me not seeing or hearing). I get attacked twice one right after the other - I kill them both but I am down to 11 and dropping fast (freezing) so I start running.

8% - I panic and use my last stim. Am able to reach the porch of the farmstead and a sigh of relief. I eat some meat and head to rest when the stim wears out.

Wake up at 52% - could be worse. Unfortunately cabin fever warning is coming up so I have to head outside. Thinking maybe find the wolves and get the pelts. Blizzard outside. Have to wait 3 hours for it to pass, cabin fever risk is now above 50% so I head out to find the wolves. Can't find them but I do find an abandoned deer carcass. Put up a fire (as I was freezing already) and get the meat out of it. As I am harvesting the fire almost goes out and condition drops fast to 33% but I am able to relight it. As soon as I cook the meat the fire goes out again and I am in a blizzard that feels like -44. What have I done?

I run and run but I know I won't be going anywere, too far away from anything at 33%. I see a small V formation in the rocks that will shelter me from the wind. Setup a fire and put all my remaining wood into it. Feels like -4. I can ear the call of the long dark but I don't want to fade just yet. I take my sleeping bag it says it will give me a +3.9 warmth bonus and I hope that the feels like -4 has some kind of rounding error. I go to sleep for an hour.

Wake up at 4% and it feels like -5C. I am stumbling and step on the fire that is still lit - it did not warm me up although it gave me some burns. Chug down the medicine still stumbling, I look around hoping for my life I can find 5 sticks but there is none that can be seen trough the blizzard's snow. At 3% there is nothing left to do but realize I am indeed not part of mother nature plan for this world anymore. I lay down and fade into the long dark.

====================================

Ok so as my first "real" run in interloper here are some of my thoughts.

1) Obviously - don't spawn 2 wolves on top of me, its not nice and there is nothing I can do about it. :)

2) RNG counts a lot in the early days, especially weather RNG. One of my earlier runs my stats said I survived 3 blizzards when I haven't even reached the end of my second day yet - obviously I never saw the end of the 3rd day when I am only given the choice of being stuck inside or go out in a blizzard with +5C clothes. Maybe tone this down a little for the first few days? By contrast this play through I had about 50 blizzards in 81 days - I think I have been extra lucky here.

3) I still think the medical / injury system could be improved a lot. I certainly would not mind to have some of the difficulty that the constant bad weather brings in being traded by some more advanced features concerning the health gameplay.

4) Starving yourself during the day and eating at night is silly but seems a necessity at least in the early days. There should be more penalties to frequent starvation I think but there also should be some balancing on the way your body consumes calories or in the way we "collect" calories. Meat has a lot of protein - even if you spend 3k calories a day I think its unreasonable to have to eat 4kg of meat to compensate. Anyone ever tried to eat that?

5) Likewise water consumption. Who actually drinks 0.6 liters of water when they wake up? Can we bring this down a little at least during the night?

6) Loot RNG I have mixed feelings. On the one hand it makes you value the treasures you do find on the other hand I found it kind of frustrating that after looting 4 maps I did not find a second pair of underpants or a second pair of socks (is there anything other than sport socks in nterloper? Never found wool)

7) And perhaps most importantly - never play interloper without coal in your pocket ;)

TheEnd.jpg

Archived