A way to Destroy Items (Rubbish Bin)

Kirby

15 hours ago, tentacles said:

I can't correct you, because the impact is indeed small; as long as your waste dump doesn't hold millions of items.

Subjectively, the longer I have stayed in any given location and the more Items I have placed on the floor (sometimes a lot, because what are you going to do with 10kg of tinder and cat tail heads?), the lower my frame rate got. In the Quonset Gas Station it got so bad that I started storing my Items in other houses, even though I had enough space. I had a dedicated drying hut for crying out loud.

Another option would be craftable containers and usable/movable crates.Furthermore dropping stacks of items would be nice for firewood and such, similar to how Minecraft handles dropped items.

On 03/03/2017 at 1:40 PM, nicko said:

Why would it instantly kill you! it just a lava pit after all, the only way it would kill is if you got to close to it?

Don´t tell me you wouldn´t walk into a lava pit at some point, either accidentally or on purpose. Remember the brittle ice in Coastal Highway? They changed it from instantly killing you to just giving you severe hypothermia, just because instant kills are always unfair. Lava just giving you severe burns is not nearly as realistic as pulling yourself onto an ice sheet.

22 minutes ago, Kirby said:

the more Items I have placed on the floor ... the lower my frame rate got

Hmm, seems like I underestimated the impact. How many items do you think you have to drop in order to get a noticable drop in frame rate?

25 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Another option would be craftable containers and usable/movable crates.

I'm all for that. I'd love to be able to craft some kind of basket using sticks.

26 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Furthermore dropping stacks of items would be nice for firewood and such

I've never played Minecraft, so I can only guess what you mean is: you drop a stack of items (sticks) and get a stack of items (not a bunch of isolated items) on the ground? I guess a craftable container would be a better solution because you don't need to add separate models for each kind of stack.

I also think craftable/moveable containers would help a lot to ease the issue of waste dumps: Just place a container somewhere and transfer your rubbish into it. That way your trash won't have to be rendered because it is hidden inside the container. - Same goes for firewood: Place one next to your fire place and transfer your firewood into it. This way you wouldn't have to pick the sticks up again (one by one).

51 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Subjectively, the longer I have stayed in any given location and the more Items I have placed on the floor (sometimes a lot, because what are you going to do with 10kg of tinder and cat tail heads?), the lower my frame rate got. In the Quonset Gas Station it got so bad that I started storing my Items in other houses, even though I had enough space. I had a dedicated drying hut for crying out loud.

Another option would be craftable containers and usable/movable crates.Furthermore dropping stacks of items would be nice for firewood and such, similar to how Minecraft handles dropped items.

Do you mean the framerate drops when you're looking at loads of items lying on the floor? Sounds like it, if you're able to improve it by storing stuff out of sight in other houses.

If so, that'd be another argument for burying things; you are able to keep items but out of sight so your graphics card doesn't have to deal with 5 million cat tail heads.

14 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

If so, that'd be another argument for burying things

If you mean by burying things so you can dig them out again (probably you do), then that is just another way to ask for craftable multi purpose containers. I'd prefer containers that I can place and pick up again. If, on the other hand, you mean by burying things and never get them back again, then that is just another way to ask for a delete option.

Containers, however you implement them, are just a temporary work around for the actual problem, not a solution :)
Why would you want to place items inside a container that you never want to take out again?

Take for example the addition of seasons to the game which is planned as a long term goal. In order to enjoy these, Hinterland has to allow long running games. And in these you are bound to run into the same issue. But instead of a lot of single items, you would have to deal with a lot of containers. Sure you could place them at various locations, but why should you have to spend time on walking around just to put some stuff into containers? So it doesn't really solve the issue, it just prolongs the time until it gets annoying again.

14 minutes ago, tentacles said:

If you mean by burying things so you can dig them out again (probably you do), then that is just another way to ask for craftable multi purpose containers. I'd prefer containers that I can place and pick up again. If, on the other hand, you mean by burying things and never get them back again, then that is just another way to ask for a delete option.

Oh don't get me wrong, I think these would be nice as well!

On 04/03/2017 at 1:37 PM, exeexe said:

Many of the buildings are not normal anymore and cant be used

That may be so but the damage to them looks like it has been done by a fire.

If all the wood in the apocalypse burns, how come lots of houses are fine?

7 hours ago, henroe32 said:

That may be so but the damage to them looks like it has been done by a fire.

If all the wood in the apocalypse burns, how come lots of houses are fine?

You are free to interpret the graphics of the game as you want.

If all the wood in the apocalypse burns then how come there still are trees? I didnt say that all wood will burn.

To my mind, it would be good to have an option to toss anything into a fire to destroy it. Seems like the most logical and simple choice (just add another icon in the interface alongside food and water). Some things won't burn well, but we don't have to worry about the ashes anyway, so who cares if there are a few bits of unburned junk in the ash-bed? Some things might even act as fuel. 

Beware of burning accelerant can though.

Frame rate issues when hundreds of items are within view is a performance issue. Perhaps there is something which the developers can do to improve this by aggregating dropped items into piles that render as a pile, not as hundreds of items.

As far as house keeping is concerned, I prefer tidiness although I do like to see a nice stack of firewood by the door, ready for departure. Cattail heads belong in a container since they weigh almost nothing and are more easily handled in bulk. A wood bin is a nice way to deal with a pile of firewood so that it is readily managed without hundreds of clicks.

A garbage bin would make a nice container for things that you might then be able to reclaim for later. Simply a utilitarian container but perhaps also a one way disposal system.

Most livable shelters have adequate containers.

Spoiled meat is something difficult to be rid of; you would think the wolves would eat it if left outdoors however I have seen folks keeping their good food outdoors simply because it keeps better that way. Surely something more realistic is on the way such as a meat cache to keep it safe from the wolves and bears. Food storage is always a very serious concern in bear country in the real world.

On 14/03/2017 at 10:24 AM, SteveP said:

Frame rate issues when hundreds of items are within view is a performance issue.

Technically, every frame-rate issue is a performance issue :) I´m playing on a crappy laptop, therefore any small imperfection in the game´s code has a way bigger impact on me than it has on you guys, at least performance wise

Perhaps there is something which the developers can do to improve this by aggregating dropped items into piles that render as a pile, not as hundreds of items.

That´s what I meant by my comparison to Minecraft. @tentacles Minecraft handles its items by grouping physically adjacent items into "Stacks".

Some info nobody cares about: The models of those stacks are literally just a few single item models stacked on top of each other (with slight offset to make it look nicer). Every item in MC has a radius which is periodically scanned for other items or stacks of the same kind. If such an item or stack is discovered, the item has a 50% chance of imposing its coordinates onto the other item and a 50% chance of joining the other item on its location. Obviously items join stacks and stacks join bigger stacks. Therefore if you had a stack of 5bil Cattail-Heads in the corner of a room, you could drop more next to it and not worry about alignment.

Minecraft-2012-08-12-17_19_08_3405261.jpg.fbbcf690f097ab3e15b9183fead802a3.jpg

I think this picture demonstrates the idea nicely: Notice the entity counter on the left.

Cattail heads belong in a container since they weigh almost nothing

I´m the type of person that *cant* walk by unharvested Cattails, even with 49.9kg on my back. As a result I have kilos of those damned things. Remember the mountaineer´s hut? Would you have been able to spare 2kg of storage there? Also, I think tentacles summed it up nicely.

On 05/03/2017 at 1:15 PM, tentacles said:

Why would you want to place items inside a container that you never want to take out again?

A garbage bin would make a nice container for things that you might then be able to reclaim for later.

Containers are a kind of resource because the weight they can hold is limited. A rubbish bin needs to have unlimited storing capabilities, otherwise it´s just another container (and not really useful for dealing with 5bil Cattail-Heads). Unlimited storing is kind of OP though, so the bin would *have* to delete items.

Most livable shelters have adequate containers.

Define "livable". I like the mountaineers hut and I adore the supply-caches.

..such as a meat cache to keep it safe from the wolves and bears.

There already is a discussion about storing meat, this is a topic since meat exists in the game. :) I hate storing meat outside when I´m anywhere but the Mountaineer´s hut, simply because of the loading times (again, shitty laptop). Fridges would be nice, just take a wood box, isolate it with cardboard and cloth, put a snow-filled plastic bag inside and periodically replace. Or use the already existing fridges.

On 3/3/2017 at 4:18 PM, Mel Guille said:

An item disposal system might be interesting, however. Other than tinder, what kind of things were you imagining getting rid of? 

I would love to be able to dispose of ruined sewing kits, fish hooks, brands, whetstones, meat, etc.  The clutter gets to be noticeable :)  

I think the obvious option here given the game, is simply to burn things. Give every object in the game a burn time, hide everything other then normal firewood,etc behind a menu of some sort and your done.

Basically when adding wood to a fire there would be a "Others" option that would then list everything you had. 0% Axe? Burn it for 5 minutes. 1000  Catstails? Burn them. Broken gun? Burn it.

If anything, maybe add a couple of extra camp fire models to represent the items that would be recognizable in the ashes (gun barrel, axe head), but really even that is going a bit deep.

This mechanic would also open the game up to 'emergency fires'. Normally when you have an empty pack, the only burnable things that you would carry would be your clothes. Since burning the clothes off your back isnt really an option (even just the time tearing them up would kill you if you were at the point were you needed to do it - game mechanics are weird), being able to sacrifice a knife, a axe or even a gun stock to get a fire going would be right down this games alley. (P.S - Well aware that an 'empty pack' should include fire making equipment)

19 minutes ago, Mikhail_Reign said:

I think the obvious option here given the game, is simply to burn things. Give every object in the game a burn time, hide everything other then normal firewood,etc behind a menu of some sort and your done.

Basically when adding wood to a fire there would be a "Others" option that would then list everything you had. 0% Axe? Burn it for 5 minutes. 1000  Catstails? Burn them. Broken gun? Burn it.

If anything, maybe add a couple of extra camp fire models to represent the items that would be recognizable in the ashes (gun barrel, axe head), but really even that is going a bit deep.

This mechanic would also open the game up to 'emergency fires'. Normally when you have an empty pack, the only burnable things that you would carry would be your clothes. Since burning the clothes off your back isnt really an option (even just the time tearing them up would kill you if you were at the point were you needed to do it - game mechanics are weird), being able to sacrifice a knife, a axe or even a gun stock to get a fire going would be right down this games alley. (P.S - Well aware that an 'empty pack' should include fire making equipment)

well said, it's so cold therefore let us burn stuff for extra heat I say? just hope those plastic fumes dont kill us in the process.(ie sewing kit)

On 3/21/2017 at 2:13 AM, nicko said:

well said, it's so cold therefore let us burn stuff for extra heat I say? just hope those plastic fumes dont kill us in the process.(ie sewing kit)

Yeah, i agree that being able to burn items would be the best way to dispose of something, and not have it just be to clean space. At least it adds something positive to game play.

On a side note, I've been using some items (trash and tinder that I no longer need) to make paths. It's been nice if I get turned around in the woods and a blizzard happens, then I have something to follow on the way back. It's time consuming to create the paths, but after a few hundred days in a game it's something to do.

Archived