Luckiest bear kills

drbass

I have had the most ridiculous luck with bears in my 60ish days in TLD.

The VERY FIRST time I encountered a bear was in Coastal Highway and at this point I had not read any guides on the game so I had no idea they were tough to kill.  I had maybe 3 rounds in my rifle and had never fired it before, so 0 rifle skill.  The bear was up on the pathway near the bunker behind the Coastal Highway township and I was perched on the lower section just off the highway.  I lined up my shot and fired.  Bear. Dropped. Dead.  I must have just scored a MASSIVE critical hit to the head or heart, but I don't even know if criticals can be that high damage.

After that, I started reading some game guides etc and found out that bears usually take 3 or 4 rounds and then will bleed out.   But they will potentially rip you to shreds before that happens. This scared the crap out of me, I could have been dinner for that bear as there was nowhere to run and hide if it charged.

The next bear I encountered I avoided, but found a unique opportunity for another lucky kill.  It was in Desolation Point and I was heading from the processing plant to the lighthouse when I stumbled upon the bear roaming around the tip of the plant grounds near the row boats.  I climbed the nearby cliff to get a better view and thought maybe it wouldn't be able to reach me from up here if I shot it and it went crazy.  I watched the bear for a little while, and it just seemed to be walking in circles.  I soon realise it is caught in amongst the ice shelves and cannot climb over them.  IT'S STUCK!!  Holy crap, you are a sitting duck my friend.  I fire off one shot, maybe I'll get another critical.  Nope, another one, another one, the poor thing is frantic but still stuck.  Well 5 rounds later the bear drops dead.  

I have yet to be mauled by a bear.

Anyone have any masterful (read: incredibly lucky) bear kill stories?

• 4 weeks later...

I noticed on suddenly creeping on me as I was walking down the train tracks towards the rail carts in Forlorn Muskeg, coming across the ice from the right. ended up taking a shot at it just before it started charging me I think, and he went down, if you hit the brain directly you kill them in one. there is a soft spot on the top of their head, you cannot hit it as easily if they have reared up a la Skyrim I have found.  Still got my BF4 reactions! 

Archived