Two suggestions: Rope elevator and Sledge

killfixx

I would like to see a system that conserves stamina by allowing you to tie your pack to the rope before climbing, allowing you to hoist the pack up the cliff by walking the rope, thus lifting the pack. Same for descending, tie the pack to the rope and lower it. Penalty would be time it takes to tie the rope and a RNG roll for the pack slipping potentially damaging it's contents.

Also, can we get a sledge for those serious, extended looting runs. I know this would make hunting the bear significantly easier. No longer needing to kite him close to home to go in for the kill, but I feel it would be a huge benefit. Sledge penalties could include increased chance of sprains and increased calorie burn.

Just my two cents.

The thing about sledges is that, as you suggest, they would probably have to include an increased chance of sprains and increased calorie burn, as well as slowing you down, presumably. And this is is pretty much the same as what already happens now if you just ignore the weight limit and overload yourself. So what's the point?

Also, sledges would require friction physics that aren't in the game yet - otherwise they just wouldn't work properly on the many hills and slopes that you'd want to travel over. On a steep slope, would they slide out of control and drag you down the hill? How would they work on rocks? Could they go over cliffs? Plus there'd be issues about dragging it to certain locations: how would you get it into Hibernia, for example? There's no access I can think of for a sledge into the entire complex without going up an unreasonably steep embankment. And would you be able to take it into a building, or would you have to leave it outside and do shuttle runs inside with your kit? And what about caves or mines? What about railway lines?

It'd be great if they could be included, but I think they might be more trouble than they're worth to implement properly.

I really like the idea! Although it´s not as useful for climbing down ledges (I always manage that regardless of weight), tying the backpack to the end of the rope to pull it up after climbing up is genius!

Rambling incoming:

I don´t know about balancing, since climbing with a lot of equipment is made difficult and dangerous on purpose. Maybe this could be balanced by a chance of the backpack falling, but that on the other hand sounds really rage inducing since you´d have no impact on that happening or not. Most people would probably just drop a few things, carry the rest up, drop that and then climb down again in order to avoid the risk, which would make the whole thing pointless again. Maybe the chance of the pack dropping could scale with weight. But then you´d need a second bag or pack. I don´t know if you should be able to craft a backpack, it would be interesting to have multiple different packs for different occasions (hunting, traveling, a light one for scouting). Also I think the Inventory of the player is ment as a combination of all storage available, like carrying ropes and weapons over the shoulder, putting knifes and hatchets in easily available pockets and things like this. I don´t like the idea of splitting the inventory or changing its size depending on clothing or backpack, so that could be a bad idea. I don´t know.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/2/2017 at 1:50 PM, Pillock said:

The thing about sledges is that, as you suggest, they would probably have to include an increased chance of sprains and increased calorie burn, as well as slowing you down, presumably. And this is is pretty much the same as what already happens now if you just ignore the weight limit and overload yourself. So what's the point?

Also, sledges would require friction physics that aren't in the game yet - otherwise they just wouldn't work properly on the many hills and slopes that you'd want to travel over. On a steep slope, would they slide out of control and drag you down the hill? How would they work on rocks? Could they go over cliffs? Plus there'd be issues about dragging it to certain locations: how would you get it into Hibernia, for example? There's no access I can think of for a sledge into the entire complex without going up an unreasonably steep embankment. And would you be able to take it into a building, or would you have to leave it outside and do shuttle runs inside with your kit? And what about caves or mines? What about railway lines?

It'd be great if they could be included, but I think they might be more trouble than they're worth to implement properly.

I don't find that argument compelling. Obviously people all over the world would not use sleds is there were no advantage. I have used cargo sleds several times while snowshoeing and I can tell you that carrying 40 extra pounds in a sled is easier than carrying it on your back. It's not just that taking the weight off you back tires you less, it's also that it distributes the weight over a large area, which means you sink into the snow less with each step. You can also cross over ice that would otherwise be too thin if all the weight were on your back. And you are not more likely to get a sprain, probably less since you have less weight on your feet. Whether they deserve a place on the road map is a valid question, but the usefulness of sleds is undeniable. That being said, you make some valid points about the limited mobility of the sled, but I don't think they are reasons to exclude it from consideration. No, it doesn't go over rocks well, and it can't go through caves or up or down cliffs, but that just means you have to plan your trips well, which is a fun element of the game. You can also sleep in a sled for added warmth and it will prevent your body heat from melting snow and dampening your bedding. I am in favor of a sled. you can't take it everywhere, but there's no reason you can't craft more than one. I would love to have a sled at my PV farmhouse, or at Mystery Lake, where I usually hunt bears, and there is zero question that I would hurry to build a sled if I were in this scenario.

On 2/2/2017 at 6:59 PM, killfixx said:

Thanks for the feedback What did you think of the rope/backpack idea?

I have thought about this exact thing pretty much every time I go down timberwolf mountain with a heavy load of goodies from the plane wreck. It is a good idea, and a realistic one. Obviously you would take this approach in real life if faced with this situation.

Archived