Signal Hill Radio, a Hinterland Games Podcast — Episode 0

If I may say, I'm not sure I found the extended Mad Max chat terribly relevant!

Discussing influences is interesting, but I don't think in this case you related it back to the game? Unless we are to infer that the criticism of it for not 'making sense' in terms of a timeline was something you intend to address in TLD. Because that is something that's come up as a criticism (of the Sandbox, at least).

I don't know how often you're planning to do these, and I for one might well tune in for a regular discussion on Apocalypse in popular culture, but I think would like to hear more about the game, perhaps.

• Upvote 2

For the most part I enjoyed it. I do partly agree with Pillock as I felt that the Mad Max segment was a little long. Maybe going forward there could be more of a balance of game/non game related discussion. Albeit I did enjoy the discussion . Maybe we could hear from the music composers and world builders as well. I do look forward to more of these. I think it would be fun to know if the team goes out after work for a pint, funny stories etc... 

• Upvote 1

I really enjoyed it, @Patrick Carlson ! 

It makes for great commentary while playing the game too. 

What struck me as particularly interesting, was when Raphael said something like the focus of The Long Dark was the human element of the apocalypse. 

Maybe you should add a little bit of a radio stattic effect at the beginning and end of the podcast to make it feel more like a radio station

Itd be nice to hear from the music producers, concept artists, and voice actors too.

Thanks for your feedback everyone, all good thoughts. We have some different ideas for the structure of the show and content, but it all depends on how much interest there is in the podcast itself.

If you feel like you'd want to see more podcasts, it be a big help to us to share it around and let others know about it. Hinterland's community tends to be spread over various places online, not just here in our official forums. Any help is much appreciated! :)

• Upvote 2

The Mad Maxx stuff was rather long winded and boring. Might want to give yourselves a list of what to cover.

My expectations of the first podcast would have been an intro to who you guys are, some background on TLD/Hinterland and it's team.

Then maybe some tidbits on what has gone well and what you have learned from the things that have not gone well. Maybe some behind the scenes stuff like....we thought of this feature to implement started coding it and the testers beat it up and we looked at it and finally said...WTF were we thinking....tossed it in the bin and started over....

It's a nice idea thought and nice to hear that you guys are normal like us.....my Dad's 386.... like what % of the audience would be able to say that? lol.....yeah I predate them...repaired them in high school lol.....started gaming and sector editing copy protection etc in wizardry back in the apple II days.... right there with ya!

• Upvote 1

• Hinterland
23 hours ago, Pillock said:

If I may say, I'm not sure I found the extended Mad Max chat terribly relevant!

Discussing influences is interesting, but I don't think in this case you related it back to the game? Unless we are to infer that the criticism of it for not 'making sense' in terms of a timeline was something you intend to address in TLD. Because that is something that's come up as a criticism (of the Sandbox, at least).

I don't know how often you're planning to do these, and I for one might well tune in for a regular discussion on Apocalypse in popular culture, but I think would like to hear more about the game, perhaps.

We don't want to limit topics to only those relevant to the game. It's meant to be more of a "fireside chat" format where we riff on stuff we're interested in. In future segments we'll likely pull some questions from the community and discuss them, but this is more about building a community around shared interests, not just The Long Dark.

• Upvote 2

• Hinterland
4 hours ago, AZHockeyNut said:

The Mad Maxx stuff was rather long winded and boring. Might want to give yourselves a list of what to cover.

Get used to it. I'm a rambler!

I think if you're not interested in hearing 10-15 mins of our thoughts about Mad Max, you likely won't be interested in future episodes. I would have gone on way longer, and intend to go back to it whenever possible. :)

• Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

Get used to it. I'm a rambler!

I think if you're not interested in hearing 10-15 mins of our thoughts about Mad Max, you likely won't be interested in future episodes. I would have gone on way longer, and intend to go back to it whenever possible. :)

If that's the case any plans on having a nuts and bolts design, mechanics and game only podcast for @Pillock and @AZHockeyNut at a later date?

• Upvote 1

I really love this podcast, and the scope of topics discussed.  Personally I prefer to hear the high level design philosophy and inspirations, rather than the nuts and bolts.

Thanks for supporting the meditative experiences too.   I usually play Voy or Interloper, but there are days when RL is plenty hard enough and Pilgrim gives me just the experience I crave.

Edited by Ruruwawa
  • Upvote 1

• Hinterland
18 hours ago, cekivi said:

If that's the case any plans on having a nuts and bolts design, mechanics and game only podcast for @Pillock and @AZHockeyNut at a later date?

We'll probably take questions from the community in the future, and answer ones we think will be interesting to discuss. Some of that could overlap with nuts and bolts game mechanics stuff, sure. Depends on what kind of questions we get. :)

• Upvote 1

Please feel free to talk about creative roots and influences as much as you like. Even Mad Max which I have to admit, when it (and the sequels) were first released, I viewed as a mixture of fantasy and gratuitous violence rather than post apocalyptic science fiction.

A very young Max did start driving a predominantly yellow (plus red/white/blue) Ford and you can find the supposed timeline, triggers for events and reasons for the apocalypse here.

The Challenger and Chernobyl disasters did occur in the same year - in January and April of 1986 respectively.

Finally it has been much too long since I read "On the Beach" to offer comment except to say that the premise is as fanciful as it is depressing and that I have no memory of Neville Shute being any sort of a literary giant. The movie (from 1959) is black and white, and Shute reportedly eventually distanced himself from the production because of the number of discrepancies between the book and the film. In the beginning the film acknowledges the help of the H.M.A.S. Melbourne and it is seen in the movie. This ship never fired a shot in anger but has the distinction of sinking two friendly warships in separate peacetime collisions, killing a total of 156 personnel. The last of the compensation claims from the first collision was finally closed forty-five years after the incident.

Edited by mystifeid