First Aid skill/training

Bjern

First Aid is a huge part of the game that your character is bound to require at some point sooner or later, yet it's actually a taught skill with many levels of training. This would make for an ideal (and likely) research book to improve on this skill, and perhaps to learn more advanced techniques. It could also be a skill that the more your character works at, the better s/he gets at it ~ which is how it happens in the real world, as nothing helps with First Aid training like real-life, hands-on experience! Anyone who's had this sort of training will know that you really do get better at it with knowledge and practice...so what about in this game? This could mean an additional badge to earn as well, which would be cool after many hours of practicing First Aid within the game. This sort of thing would really add to the game for me, if First Aid is extended on even a little bit more.

What it could mean for the game: An additional book to find and research. Character gets faster at First Aid with researching/practicing this skill. Their First Aid treatment gets more effective, and injuries/ailments heal or improve faster. Slightly less risk to infection even without antibacterial treatments. Learn more advanced First Aid treatments (Stitching up wounds for one. Not sure if oxygen tanks would be useful in this game for First Aid, but that's an example of advanced First Aid). Less negative affect on the character's mental health from injuries/ailments (which could also mean less likely for your character to fall into shock, if that is ever included - and that is a huge problem during First Aiding!), one example could be for multi-player, where the First Aider is less likely to fall into shock while using First Aid on someone else who is seriously injured (this is very common in real life...even paramedics and doctors have fainted when they first started their job, but they get used to it). Better at foraging for First Aid supplies, or crafting First Aid supplies. Being able to craft more First Aid supplies.

If multi-player is ever added (not sure if it would be), then First Aid would really shine as a great skill for at least someone in a group to have. A lot of people are really attracted to the role of being a medic, and would find this kind of thing really satisfying in a game.

There are many possibilities with this, and I really think it's worth considering! :)

28 minutes ago, Bjern said:

Also, burns are a feasible kind of injury that could be introduced into the game, with its own kind of First Aid treatment ~ like when your character steps into the campfire.

Step into the campfire and you will learn that burns are already in the game.

1 hour ago, Hotzn said:

Step into the campfire and you will learn that burns are already in the game.

Not the same tho. In the game you treat them the same as any other wound, while in real life they need very specific First Aid treatment.

1 hour ago, Rolandtigerfish said:

According to the cinematic storyline teaser the female is a surgeon.

First aid 10/10 training 

The guy is a bush pilot 

First aid 6/10?

That's cool. Bet she would be great at First Aid!

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 4:06 PM, Rolandtigerfish said:

According to the cinematic storyline teaser the female is a surgeon.

First aid 10/10 training 

The guy is a bush pilot 

First aid 6/10?

This is true of the story mode characters, but for all we know, the sandbox versions could be very different.

5 hours ago, Bjern said:

It's possible. Do you have suggestions for this?

Well, like you suggested, first aid could be a skill that needs to be learned, including learning the use of items such as the in-game mushrooms and the rosehips as tea. We could very well see a complete novice-like character, scraping by on the seat of their pants to survive the inclement conditions until they gain a mastery over their knowledge of the place they have unwittingly found themselves lost in.

Any average joe can clean and bandage a small wound so initially the survivor could start out with little skill, only able to treat minor wounds just as they struggle at first to create fire. Over time, through learning about their environment, or perhaps reading books and even practice sewing (stitching a wound is very similar) clothing, would mean they would be more capable. I seem to remember that the first aid kit my mom kept around the house when I was a kid, had a little booklet with how to treat various injuries, so that would be a common spawning place for simple first aid instructions. Perhaps this could even be implemented into the various difficulty levels. Interloper is tough, and survival of a wolf attack is slim, but perhaps it should involve more than just strangely bold and ferocious wolves. More advanced first aid knowledge might be gleaned from places such as the caches, mountaineer's hut, fire lookouts, and perhaps the downed plane and the Riken. Or perhaps instead of bold, ferocious wolves, it should be the lack of advanced medical knowledge and lack of a good weapon alone,  that is the survivor's downfall.

Of course, instead of that, we could also see a medical doctor trained in the ways of western medicine and unfamiliar with natural treatments, having to learn about the mushrooms, rosehips, and old man's beard through various ways.

I really feel strongly about improving on the First Aid in this game. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that they do have some First Aid as is. I simply believe that this could be improved upon, and that doing so would really add to the game experience, especially for the game's realism.

11 hours ago, Bjern said:

I really feel strongly about improving on the First Aid in this game. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that they do have some First Aid as is. I simply believe that this could be improved upon, and that doing so would really add to the game experience, especially for the game's realism.

The message you posted above this one is blank, dude.

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 4:50 AM, Bjern said:

Not the same tho. In the game you treat them the same as any other wound, while in real life they need very specific First Aid treatment.

Not exactly. You cannot treat burns with bandages crafted with old mans beard. they must be plain. (Unless this was a glitch) The disinfectant is heavy so I only carried treated bandages until I learned this

Archived