Sleep-able surfaces outdoors (e.g. pallets)

Captain Obvious

Playing a few interloper runs and struggling to find a bedroll got me thinking. Maybe it would be nice if you could sleep on things that would isolate/protect you from the cold ground, pallets being the obvious example. Or even curl up on top of a workbench in one of the cave systems. Please don't think for a moment I'm suggesting you should be able to sleep anywhere, I know how suicidal that would be given how much heat the ground can draw from your body.

And needless to say, no heat bonus and you're basically at the mercy of wildlife and the elements. So kind of a desperation thing if you have no other choice.

I have thought that there should be a "pass out" mechanic that kicks in at some point. Especially if you are safe and warm in a cave without a bedroll.

All clothing types and bedrolls should be craftable (hats! Socks! Undies!)  I have so many wolf pelts sitting around...if I can make a bear bedroll why can't I make a wolf bedroll? Or hat? or use fabric to re-craft a hat or gloves?

1 hour ago, Timber Wolf said:

There is already something in the game for this - snow shelters. :)

The problem I have with snow shelters is that they can cause you to do some pretty illogical things.

If you're caught in a blizzard, you might find a cave to shelter in, but you can't sleep there - so you have to build a shelter outside where you're exposed to the weather. Wouldn't it be more sensible to use the sticks and cloth to construct a makeshift bed inside the cave? If I want to live in a cave, I don't like the fact that I have to build a snow shelter outside it in order to do so. It just doesn't make any sense to me - it's a blatant game-rule, rather than something that you would think of doing naturally. And that means I don't do it.

1 hour ago, Timber Wolf said:

There is already something in the game for this - snow shelters. :)

Don't get me wrong, I love snow shelters! But sometimes I want to save sticks for fires and clothes for repair!

Not suggesting this because I want the game to be easier. I just find the concept of being completely exhausted (to the point of dying of exhaustion), but not willing to sleep on some pallets or a wooden bench, a little bit immersion-breaking!

1 minute ago, Pillock said:

If you're caught in a blizzard, you might find a cave to shelter in, but you can't sleep there - so you have to build a shelter outside where you're exposed to the weather. Wouldn't it be more sensible to use the sticks and cloth to construct a makeshift bed inside the cave? If I want to live in a cave, I don't like the fact that I have to build a snow shelter outside it in order to do so. It just doesn't make any sense to me - it's a blatant game-rule, rather than something that you would think of doing naturally. And that means I don't do it.

Very true!

2 minutes ago, Pillock said:

The problem I have with snow shelters is that they can cause you to do some pretty illogical things.

Very true - no argument here. 

I find the snow shelter a little under strength. The amount of time it takes to make (especially if you have to tear something to make it), combined with the size of the map, make sit almost useless as a survival method. You are almost always close enough to 'anywhere' that you are simply better off walking out then you are digging in.

Archived