Slippery Ice

CalNieDaGtarGuy

When I go ice fishing, I often find myself on slick patches of ice (not all ice is created equal for those about to complain about ice always being slippery). I thought maybe there would be slippery ice patches, and could lead to a falling animation, which can result in a concussion (any ideas for what this would involve?) or maybe blacking out for a bit. Minor falls would maybe result in ripped clothing and/or sprained ankles or wrists.

Maybe to prevent it, they could add ice spikes for your feet, as most ice-fisherman have.

On 1/29/2017 at 2:25 PM, CalNieDaGtarGuy said:

I thought maybe there would be slippery ice patches, and could lead to a falling animation, which can result in a concussion (any ideas for what this would involve?) or maybe blacking out for a bit. Minor falls would maybe result in ripped clothing and/or sprained ankles or wrists.

Maybe to prevent it, they could add ice spikes for your feet, as most ice-fisherman have.

I always find it interesting when people suggest making the The Long Dark crueler. ;) 

Are you imagining different footwear having an impact on ice patches, or just the crampons?

On 30/01/2017 at 7:25 AM, CalNieDaGtarGuy said:

When I go ice fishing, I often find myself on slick patches of ice (not all ice is created equal for those about to complain about ice always being slippery)

How often irl do you fall and concuss yourself or sprain something? Just saying because more sprains would be about the last thing I would like added.

5 hours ago, Mel Guille said:

I always find it interesting when people suggest making the The Long Dark crueler. ;) 

Are you imagining different footwear having an impact on ice patches, or just the crampons?

That sounds even better!

3 hours ago, mystifeid said:

How often irl do you fall and concuss yourself or sprain something? Just saying because more sprains would be about the last thing I would like added.

You'd be surprised...

5 hours ago, Mel Guille said:

I'd say so. The right footwear would make a big difference here, especially if you can strap on a pair of crampons.

I'm all for this suggestion.

15 hours ago, mystifeid said:

with ice, concussions are fairly common if you don't have trax or ice skates.  Or even if you do have skates but don't know how to skate.  But yes, I really would hate to see more sprains seeing as how my survivor's wrists and ankles appear to be made of glass

In a real life situation having to run on slippery ice would make you a easy target for a predator. Having claws do have an advantage on ice.

Also "running" on slippery ice would increase the risk of hurting your ankles (and wrists if one falls.)

Having it as a simple element to have to take into account when venturing out, could perhaps be quite enjoyable.

(Disclaimer: I do like my games "difficult" and having a element of deep learning to succeed well on them, E.g. X-com Longwar, EU4...)

Archived