Use for Tinder past level 3

Kirby

Firestarting Level 3 enables the player to start a fire without tinder. Because of this, cat tail heads, newspapers and tinder plugs become completely useless. 

I think it should at least be possible to burn them, getting a few minutes and degrees out of them, but maybe they can be used for something else.

Ideas so far include:

81l3ZH+b+bL._SL1500_.jpg16-6115.jpg

Firepiston                     Pellet Compressor

[Note: Could a moderator or other official tell me if I should include the results of the discussion in the original post or not? Thanks]

1 hour ago, Kirby said:

Firestarting Level 3 enables the player to start a fire without tinder. Because of this, cat tail heads, newspapers and tinder plugs become completely useless. 

I think it should at least be possible to burn them, getting a few minutes and degrees out of them, but maybe they can be used for something else. 

I think that past level three, tinder would maybe be allowed to get a fire started faster, or more successfully

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 11:24 AM, Kirby said:

Not sure why being able to start a fire without tinder should make tinder useless. Surely IRL having tinder would at least up the chances of the fire burning nice and strong the first go.

On 1.2.2017 at 10:16 PM, Kirby said:

@vancpower I thought you would post something like this 16-6115.jpg

XD we know what a pellet looks like :P

Yes this machine should be in the game, or it can be a part of the workshop either way we should be able to press 10 tinder plug into 1 pellet brick which according to my calculation can burn for 35 min since 1 stick = 7 min and we get 2 tinder from it so 10 * 3.5 = 35 min.

However even then I would not like the option to start fire without tinder simply  because it is not realistic. Or at least give the option of starting fire without tinder but lower the fire starting chance by 20% if you start a fire that way.

@vancopower

First off I don´t know about the workshop yet. If it should contain game changing mods or only texpacks and translations. We´ll have to see if the community is even big enough to support an active modding community once we are out of alpha.

Starting fire without Tinder has three reasons.

One: It makes it possible to survive a surprise blizzard, even if you are away from shelter and don´t have any firewood or tinder. You can just collect a few sticks and start a fire. No 10min for harvesting a stick required.

Two: Without this the fire-starting skill would either be really weak on lower levels or not have a point on higher levels. In case you didn´t know: The skills tick up exponentially, the amount of required skill points about doubles with every level.

Three: It´s actually realistic. With a bit of training you can start a fire with just a piece of firewood. It´s slow, but so is the process of starting fires in the game. With a time scaling of x12 I think the time the character needs is actually realistic.

2 hours ago, Kirby said:

@vancopower

First off I don´t know about the workshop yet. If it should contain game changing mods or only texpacks and translations. We´ll have to see if the community is even big enough to support an active modding community once we are out of alpha.

Starting fire without Tinder has three reasons.

One: It makes it possible to survive a surprise blizzard, even if you are away from shelter and don´t have any firewood or tinder. You can just collect a few sticks and start a fire. No 10min for harvesting a stick required.

Two: Without this the fire-starting skill would either be really weak on lower levels or not have a point on higher levels. In case you didn´t know: The skills tick up exponentially, the amount of required skill points about doubles with every level.

Three: It´s actually realistic. With a bit of training you can start a fire with just a piece of firewood. It´s slow, but so is the process of starting fires in the game. With a time scaling of x12 I think the time the character needs is actually realistic.

I apologize.  I meant we should have this machine as a part of the workbench, basically add this recipe to the workbench: 10 tinder = 1 pallet brick  crafting time 15 min. 

Also I don't agree that starting fire without tinder maters that much.  First of all it is 5 min not 10, Second when is the last time you ran out of tinder. I remember it was in alpha 1.45 or something when the only way to find tinder was to forage for softwood.  Tinder is more than abundant now, so it is pointless to waste a whole skill on preserving it. It would be much wiser to unlock some more useful thing like: Preserving the fire-striker,  instead of using 2% now you use 1%. At a higher level you should unlock another way of starting fire, making bow-drill with: line, arrow shaft and cedar firewood for example. 

Finally this winter was very cold almost like in TLD with a difference of 5 degrees Celsius, so I know what am I talking about when I say you can't start a fire in the cold without any tinder and not only that you need to put small sticks and barks and wait for 5 min for the fire to catch on then you can put small firewood and after it burns and makes strong embers you can put like 2-3 logs since by then the temp in the stove is high enough to produce large fire.  And even if you could why would do that when tinder is in abundance. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/24/2017 at 11:24 PM, elloco999 said:

I completely agree with @vancopower here. Not using tinder makes absolutely no sense even if it can be done. One thing I know for sure: starting a fire with tinder is always faster than starting one without tinder. So at the very least let using tinder speed up the firestarting once you reach level 3.

Yep. In addition to that, starting fires without tinder should also have a success chance penalty that would decrease as your firestarting level increases.

Tinder should help fires start up quicker and easier

As for transporting fire, if we got some sort of cow in the game, using cow dung to transport fire long distances is a viable option, Perhaps cow dung could be found in pleasant valley? The reason I use cow dung as a example is because it is entirely compressed grass/plant, and is a big patty, unlike most deer dung.

Archived