Even more interactivity with the environment.

Fuarian

When 'Deep Forest' came along I was hyped as you could now break apart certain furniture items. I think it was one of the best decisions for this game.

I think that we should not only be able to break things down but also move them around. Like chairs and furniture. Storage containers and shelves. Obviously certain items will drastically decrease your movement. This way we could 'customize' our survival shelter to how we want. The form of movement of furniture would be the same as how we place items.

Not only should we be able to move furniture around but also literally interact with these objects. We should be able to sit in chairs (combined with moving them around would be awesome), we should be able to sleep on long sofas, we should be able sit on park benches, etc...

Other objects to move would be things like; toasters, microwaves, lamps, broken control fixtures, crates and cardboard boxes and other clutter laying around. Along with the clutter being added when Story Mode releases this would be pretty much a necessity.

We should be able to tear up or move those rugs around, use those little shreds of paper as tinder, use those clipboards and thumb-tack board papers as tinder, we should be able to break down paintings for wood, tear up shower curtains, etc...

Stuff like this would not only add immersion but also make the game feel much more alive and will give players a little objective to shoot for.

2 hours ago, CalNieDaGtarGuy said:

I like the idea, but I just wanted to say that we must keep in mind the fact that the more interactive the environment is, the slower the game is. Good idea though!

What exactly do you mean by slower? You mean the pace of the game? That all depends on the players' playstyle. The game is already quite slow paced though. But it wouldn't impact it too much.

When I think of more interactivity with the environment I imagine running away from wolves and taking safety in a car in Coastal Highway and instead of the wolf losing interest in chasing and just patrolling around the car, jumping instead on the hood of the car and trying to dig with its paws at windscreen or the car roof, preventing the player from sleeping in the car due to a new scripted event. The outcome of it would be a choice. Either the player goes outside and confronts the wolf, or he/she stays in for 1 hour, passing time without benefit of sleep until the wolf loses interest and the struggle is won.

If a bear chases the player into a car, then the outcome of the event would be car permanently damaged and providing no further windshield effect. I've run this idea by the imaginary guy living inside Misanthrope Homestead, he said it will add to the immersion. I may have spent too much time alone in the wilderness.

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 7:21 PM, CalNieDaGtarGuy said:

no i mean how the game runs... with all the things the internal memory has to keep up with, the slower the game gets

Whilst the needs of the many do often outweigh the few, in the gaming world, oftentimes the system requirements of a game will leave folks slow to update their machine specs behind. I mean sheesh, just the way graphics cards are these days. You go six months and there's already a newer and better card. Take a look at Minecraft. To run that game and zoom around the world at breakneck speeds without major lag, you need quite a bit of RAM as well as a good video card up for the challenge of drawing all those cubes quickly.

Personally I would welcome many of the ideas the OP suggested.

I'd love to see that too. More interaction with the natural environment, particularly. I'd like to be able to pick up rocks and use them for crafting (arrowheads?) break green branches off trees, break ice anywhere. Of course it would have to be balanced so resources wouldn't be too abundant, but it would add a lot of immersion.

Archived