The ability to cut down a tree

Kyleee

It would make sense if cutting down trees in this game were possible, but would require much effort, time a while, and would not be possible to attempt during a blizzard or if your character has some kind of serious ailment. Not sure how difficult it would be to implement this idea, but it is a good one nonetheless.

It's a good idea, but what would you use the wood for? There's so much wood there, and I don't know what kind of fire you wanna make. I know almost for a fact that the devs do not want to add the ability to build log cabins and such, as that is the most unrealistic thing to do in a survival situation. I know this is long term, but your character doesn't know that, so it's a little unnecessary. Another little nitpick is that you have a hatchet, not an axe. Hatchets are small, and one-handed, and aren't meant for cutting down trees. The good news is that an axe is on the roadmap, maybe for faster chopping. Building isn't a very good idea in my opinion, especially when the game requires you to constantly keep moving.

Welcome to the forums by the way.

1 hour ago, CalNieDaGtarGuy said:

It's a good idea, but what would you use the wood for? There's so much wood there, and I don't know what kind of fire you wanna make. I know almost for a fact that the devs do not want to add the ability to build log cabins and such, as that is the most unrealistic thing to do in a survival situation. I know this is long term, but your character doesn't know that, so it's a little unnecessary. Another little nitpick is that you have a hatchet, not an axe. Hatchets are small, and one-handed, and aren't meant for cutting down trees. The good news is that an axe is on the roadmap, maybe for faster chopping. Building isn't a very good idea in my opinion, especially when the game requires you to constantly keep moving.

Welcome to the forums by the way.

For those who always sits in the same house and never moves from one location to another - the idea will appeal to. And I agree with you.^_^

33 minutes ago, Kyleee said:

For those who always sits in the same house and never moves from one location to another - the idea will appeal to. And I agree with you.^_^

Nah. I tend to establish a base myself, and chopping down a whole tree has zero appeal to me. It's way too much effort for the gain and then we really start getting into the question of seasoning wood. With fallen limbs, we can assume they're dead and dried, which  is why they broke loose and fell.

If we ever had any sort of building, what I would want is the ability to scavenge boards from the broken down sheds and use them to fix up another shed, improving the windproofing... or chop them up for reclaimed wood. Similarly with piles of planks, you can either chop them up or drag them back for shed repair. We've already got the tools, we'd just need nails.

The real issue in both cases is that you start getting into deformable terrain objects. The game is already keeping track of thousands of objects as-is. Adding thousands more isn't exactly a good idea for performance.

If you fell a tree you also have to dry the wood. This takes (according to wiki-how) about 6 months. 183 days. And you can´t store it outside since it´s way too cold and moist. Assume you reach your future base at 20 days and immediately fell a tree (which would be insanely hard this early in the game). You would get your firewood at day 200. Just... no. 

Maybe for another region in the future, there could be a logging building the size of Hibernia Processing, where trees would go to be processed and in it there could be a diesel generator powered industrial table-saw with a huge tree in it already dry and if gradually supplied with enough lamp oil it could process the tree into about 300 days worth of campfire logs?

This could also indirectly make fishing a more viable long term survival strategy as you can exchange lamp oil for easy to get firewood

Being able to harvest entire logs would certainly provide an advantage. However I'm not sure we'd want survivors to feel too safe - a sense of vulnerability to nature is part of the game. Are you imagining some kind of trade-off that might make someone have to choose whether they want to accumulate a large pile of lumber?

I dont see the point of being able to cut down a tree for logs when at the log sort and near clearcut there's literally hundereds of precut and dryer logs there. Not to mention a few more on the trains. 

Plus, buildig an entire new house would be unrealistic. What id rather see is the ability to patch up and improve homes that already exist. I.e scrap wood for roofs and breaking down and reconstructing work benches in spots that dont have them.

You can already accumulate large amounts of cedar and sticks in the free time a cooked bear gives you.

Archived