Returning to game, but much has changed

writeright1

I've been away from the game much since around the introduction of Desolation point, other than to make it to the top of Timberwolf Mountain.  Now that I'm back, I'm curious what the best plan for long term survival is?  I got to day 118 on old Voyager mode until I accidentally died of food poisoning without realizing I even had it.  Now I'd like to beat that.  I'm currently camped out in the gas station on Coastal Highway and have scavenged just about everything from the map and hoard it there.  Is it better to just stay there and use up my supplies and then hunt and fish for as long as I can and then move to another region or should I move between regions as a nomad, just lightly using the resources of each region?

If you are trying to drag out survival as long as possible, I think it wise to stay put once you are established.  Hunt, fish, gather firewood, ad infinitum.  Hibernation is harder now that Cabin Fever is a thing, so you'll occasionally need to spend idle time outdoors.  But why risk traveling?

There may be more clothes and food on other maps that are slowly rotting away, but you don't need them now so don't worry about them.  Eventually you will want more bullets or arrows and will make your move to find/craft those.  But no rush.  The apocalypse is not going anywhere.

I just completed that achievement (Voyager) and spent over half my time at the homestead on PV. Lots of wildlife. Catch lots of rabbits in the trees near Heartbreak bridge. A bear will walk right up to your front door at times. Made a bear hide coat. Spent a week on two separate occasions at the only fishing hut in the region. The weather there is unpredictable. Usually get the snow warning but I had a few -35' C blizzards appear in 30 seconds. I always carried enough material to build a snow shelter. Snow shelter, bear coat, and deer hide pants and it was never below freezing.

Archived