Waterfalls - Source of Non-Potable Water?

Deathdealers747

Is there any plans in the future for allowing the collection of non-potable water from a running Waterfall? I think it's the perfect idea, as it's what I'd do in real life (at the cost of my hands freezing off), if I had to or made some kind of a contraption to collect it without getting my body wet. Since this is Alpha, you could always skip the technicalities and just make it possible to collect non-potable water from running waterfalls.

I support this idea as long as it comes for a price: Your clothes should get a little wet while standing near the waterfall.

The longer you stay there (= the more water you want to take), the wetter your clothes should get due to the waterfall's spray. :) 

Edit:

I'm moving the thread to the wishlist forums, guess it fits better there.

You got my vote ;)

The only logical thing when (if) seasons arrive to the sandbox would be to implement a mechanic for gathering water from a moving source (un-frozen rivers and waterfalls). The mechanic could be implemented sooner and I agree it should come with a penalty in wet clothes.  

6 hours ago, Scyzara said:

I support this idea as long as it comes for a price: Your clothes should get a little wet while standing near the waterfall.

The longer you stay there (= the more water you want to take), the wetter your clothes should get due to the waterfall's spray. :) 

I agree that Wet Clothes should be a negative effect. The same thing happens when you fall through Weak Ice, so it should be fairly easy for them to implement.

8 hours ago, Scyzara said:

The longer you stay there (= the more water you want to take), the wetter your clothes should get due to the waterfall's spray.

So before sunset I collect 30 litres of water from the waterfall near Matt's truck and stagger back to the Riken, my clothes totally wet. Go to sleep and in the morning clothes are dry again. Where's the cost?

In Interloper the air temps seem to go below -40°C every morning. Wouldn't the waterfalls be frozen?

The aerated water from a water fall (especially in winter) is likely potable. Potable water is a far greater reward for braving thin ice, slippery rocks, and soaked clothes ;)

On the subject, you should be allowed to get dirty water from fishing holes on the inland lakes. That's much easier to get than trying to melt snow! ^_^

3 hours ago, cekivi said:

On the subject, you should be allowed to get dirty water from fishing holes on the inland lakes. That's much easier to get than trying to melt snow! ^_^

Yeah, definitely another point I would like to see added. I mean let's be honest, melting snow is hardly a challenge anyway with all those countless respawning sticks lying around. I thus extremely doubt  that taking water from lake fishing holes would disturb the game's balance in any meaningful way. It would only give you an option to use 2/3 less sticks in exchange for a trip to the nearest lake*. One would still need to use a match (or whatever) to cook the lake water to make it potable, so nothing would change about the number of firestarters, but solely about the fuel. 

*Amusingly, for most people the trip would probably be much more dangerous than just picking up the sticks, but it would be their turn to discover that. xD

19 hours ago, mystifeid said:

In Interloper the air temps seem to go below -40°C every morning. Wouldn't the waterfalls be frozen?

I'm sorry, but this statement is incorrect. Have you ever watched Bear Grylls or The Ultimate Survival: Alaska? They have running rivers, streams, and waterfalls. The temperature of the running water is 31.5 Degrees Fahrenheit - that's 0.5 Degrees less than freezing. The outside air temperature can drop as low as -40 and the water would keep running. Why? Because running water prevents itself from freezing due to the energy build up (now we're talking physics, here) of constantly running. 

So, to be more precise, if I was to collect this water at -40 Degrees Fahrenheit, then it would almost instantly freeze unless kept in a thermal-insulated bottle. However, this could still be melted via body-heat whether in said type of bottle or not. 

Either way, it's best not to forget that this is Alpha and some choices have already involved sacrifices of realism in order to make the game playable, on any level. For example, when you melt snow, you're automatically given free water bottles. 

1 hour ago, Deathdealers747 said:

I'm sorry, but this statement is incorrect.

Look again and you may notice the second sentence - the one I presume you are referring to - is a question and not a statement.

Have you ever watched Bear Grylls or The Ultimate Survival: Alaska?

No. Haven't owned a TV in decades.

The outside air temperature can drop as low as -40 and the water would keep running. Why? Because running water prevents itself from freezing due to the energy build up (now we're talking physics, here) of constantly running.

So, are you saying that waterfalls don't freeze? I may not watch TV but I do know that climbing frozen waterfalls seems to be a popular method of suicide for ice climbers. Try googling frozen waterfall climbing - some spectacular shots. Seems to me that constant sub-zero temps dropping to -40°C on a daily basis would be enough to achieve this.with the size of the streams seen in TLD, but hey, you sound like Bear Grylls might have taught you a thing or two so I will certainly respect the depth of your knowledge in this area. Maybe you could tell me how cold it has to be (and for how long) to do this:

ice-ascent.jpg

Personally I could care less about realism and frankly I find the current method of generating water to be tedious at best. So I actually would like the treatment of water to be overhauled in the game. However, I will always play devil's advocate with the ideas of others as I expect them to do when our roles are reversed.

Even the surface of Niagara Falls freezes and it is massive. Though the water still flows underneath you could not draw water from it.

It is a spectacular view in the winter.aU-l7EPIzWzy_w7M%3D&ved=0ahUKEwj5zNv7_efRAhXpx4MKHafwAbUQyjcIJQ&ei=bTSOWLniCumPjwSn4YeoCw#imgrc=JD_yGrYJ3lK_fM%3A

This is at the New York/Canada boarder where the conditions are no where near the severity of the north

Whether moving water freezes in winter is dependent on a lot of factors. For instance, there was a river behind my house that had one section that wouldn't freeze despite two months of -15C weather. The entire river was flowing over the Canadian shield so it was very fast and very shallow so it couldn't freeze. In deeper, calmer parts of the river the ice was easily over 20cm thick.

Well let's say they implemented freezing waterfalls. That would imply ice growth. Ergo by the logic in this thread no ice fishing at all in interloper simply because the ice on the lake would grow thick to the point that  the lake would freeze nearly to the bottom. You would need days to clear a hole and you would likely burn up the tool you used to do it.  This would also take away all thin ice in Forlorn.

5 hours ago, Rolandtigerfish said:

Ergo by the logic in this thread no ice fishing at all in interloper simply because the ice on the lake would grow thick to the point that  the lake would freeze nearly to the bottom

I don't fish in Interloper anyway but admittedly would not like to force everyone to make this choice.

On 29.1.2017 at 9:49 AM, Scyzara said:

Yeah, definitely another point I would like to see added. I mean let's be honest, melting snow is hardly a challenge anyway with all those countless respawning sticks lying around. I thus extremely doubt  that taking water from lake fishing holes would disturb the game's balance in any meaningful way. It would only give you an option to use 2/3 less sticks in exchange for a trip to the nearest lake*. One would still need to use a match (or whatever) to cook the lake water to make it potable, so nothing would change about the number of firestarters, but solely about the fuel. 

*Amusingly, for most people the trip would probably be much more dangerous than just picking up the sticks, but it would be their turn to discover that. xD

Introducing the possibility to get (unsafe) water from fishing holes or waterfalls could also give the water purification tablets a new meaning. Because with the tablets, you could then have drinking water without fire. That would allow for making matches in Interloper a rarer find (jippi!), if there were more tablets. As a side note, I would also like to see the possibility to eat snow. That should have a severe warmth penalty and count as unsafe water.

5 hours ago, Hotzn said:

As a side note, I would also like to see the possibility to eat snow. That should have a severe warmth penalty and count as unsafe water.

Snow, especially fresh snow, is normally safe to eat though. It's only once it's been on the ground for a while that it becomes unsafe.

10 minutes ago, cekivi said:

Snow, especially fresh snow, is normally safe to eat though. It's only once it's been on the ground for a while that it becomes unsafe.

Yeah, but I think the Devs didn't want to add several steps required in order to make that happen in a reasonable manner. Think about it, you'd have to have a timer, of sorts, on all the snow dropped from the snow storm on the entire ground - this could cause some severe lag issues in-game. So, it was probably much easier just to dictate all snow as being everywhere and non-potable via the Fire Menu. If I had to guess, I'd say that "snow" doesn't count as an in-game object for the ground, currently.

10 hours ago, cekivi said:

Muaha. Normally. May it be so on Pilgrim. On Interloper, however, we know that everything is deadly. Snow? We call it "White Poison" and "Death from the Sky"...

Archived