Pop-Top Cans, No Can Opener Required!

Deathdealers747

I'm just curious, is there a reason why these aren't in the game? A ton of people buy cans, nowadays, with easy-to-open Pop-Tops that can opened with a thumb, fingernail, spoon, etc. I just think it'd be nice to find a can, every once in a while, and not have to use a Can Opener for it! This is 2017, right!? 

8 hours ago, Deathdealers747 said:

I'm just curious, is there a reason why these aren't in the game? A ton of people buy cans, nowadays, with easy-to-open Pop-Tops that can opened with a thumb, fingernail, spoon, etc. I just think it'd be nice to find a can, every once in a while, and not have to use a Can Opener for it! This is 2017, right!? 

I keep a healthy stock of canned goods during winter IRL and about half of them do not have the easy open tops.  In the game, they do not have easy open tops so that players are faced with a decision - do I lose some of the contents smashing it open? - should I wear down my knife or ax to open it? - or use a can opener if I find one?

12 minutes ago, Hotzn said:

The can opener is one of those items that have lost relevance in the game during development. Just like the toolbox or the hatchet.

I miss the early alphas (circa Nov 2014) when a can opener (let alone a hunting knife!) was a rare and coveted find! :D

3 hours ago, cekivi said:

I miss the early alphas (circa Nov 2014) when a can opener (let alone a hunting knife!) was a rare and coveted find! :D

Yes, in 2014 the whole game felt like forlorn muskeg. But It kinda makes sense in voyageur and below that theres more tools now because people cant take everything with them when they leave their houses. But stalker definitely is nerfed nowadays.

On 2017. 01. 26. at 9:22 PM, cekivi said:

Well, in Interloper it still is! Once after looting 3 Regions I still couldn't find any, and left alone with 6 cans, I had to play "smash-as-smash-can" to stay alive. When finally found one, I didn't take it. You need an extreme amount of luck in Interloper to stay alive longer. :D

Archived