[POLL] Snowshoes or Nordic Skis?

Bjern

[Poll] Snowshoes or Nordic Skies?  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The roadmap plan for TLD includes this interesting bit of information...

NEAR TERM (1-6 Month Window)
Snowshoes or Nordic skis?

It appears that they are still deciding which of these two they will include (if not both). If you could only have one, which would you want, and why? Please discuss.

Personally I think that skies have more potential for being fun, but remains a realistic survival tool that is very fitting to the situation. It also would fit better with a ski resort than snowshoes, which could potentially mean a whole new region to explore.

Hopefully we get both, but if we can only have one, I'm going for the Nordic Skies.

8 hours ago, MarrowStone said:

I can definitely see the use for skis in the game.

Unless they add dynamic snow depth, I dont see how snowshoes would help other than slow you down and prevent your clothes from gettig as wet.

I think rubber boots would fit better for a kind of footwear that is meant specifically to keep you dry, but they wouldn't be ideal at all for deep snow. Deep snow is where snowshoes really benefit the wearer.

Perhaps this is a sign that they intend to add deep snow?

51 minutes ago, Bjern said:

I think rubber boots would fit better for a kind of footwear that is meant specifically to keep you dry, but they wouldn't be ideal at all for deep snow. Deep snow is where snowshoes really benefit the wearer.

Yeah, thats sort of where I was getting at, snowshoes wouldnt have much use unless they implement deep snow like you said.

Which would definitely make old maps/routes feel/work quite different!

2 minutes ago, cekivi said:

I think it's more personal preference than anything else. I voted for snow shoes since I'm far more familiar with them and I think they would work better on the steep hills and rough terrain of the game maps.

Yes, what function would you see it having if its implemented though. 

3 hours ago, Boston123 said:

Snowshoes are almost infinitely easier to use. If you can walk, you can snowshoe.

Skis? Nah.

It is true that skies are more difficult to use. They could add a book where you could learn the skill, and you could get better with use, like leveling up. Would end up more rewarding...besides, how fun would it be to ski down some of the slopes in the game! You can't do that with snowshoes.

10 hours ago, Bjern said:

It is true that skies are more difficult to use. They could add a book where you could learn the skill, and you could get better with use, like leveling up. Would end up more rewarding...besides, how fun would it be to ski down some of the slopes in the game! You can't do that with snowshoes.

Cross-country skis are different from alpine skis, and the techniques for locomotion are different as well.

Besides, much like jumping and climbing ...... that isn't what you do in a survival situation. You fall and break your leg, you are dead.

11 hours ago, Boston123 said:

Cross-country skis are different from alpine skis, and the techniques for locomotion are different as well.

Besides, much like jumping and climbing ...... that isn't what you do in a survival situation. You fall and break your leg, you are dead.

This is true.

On 1/26/2017 at 4:47 PM, Bjern said:

It can only be possible. There would never be any use for snowshoes otherwise. The only problem with dynamic snow is that it would slow the game down to molasses speeds.

1 hour ago, CalNieDaGtarGuy said:

It can only be possible. There would never be any use for snowshoes otherwise. The only problem with dynamic snow is that it would slow the game down to molasses speeds.

Unless speed in general is increased for non snowy areas (e.g. frozen lakes, windswept roads, the rail line etc.)

1 hour ago, CalNieDaGtarGuy said:

That would be a problem.

2 hours ago, Frozen guy said:

Snowshoes and most important a "travoi" (i don't know if this word exist in english ?) to carry lots of stuff in exchange of a  slowly movement speed for became really nomade.

Definitely want travois in the game! There does seem to be a real need for it at times.

I'm voting skis to introduce more fun factor to sandbox.

I'm all gung-ho for survival, difficulty, realism and I fully acknowledge the point of sandbox is to make practical decisions to extend your survival as long as possible.  However, I would argue that there should be more game in this survival game.  Introducing something like Nordic skis and toboggans (see my other post!) could introduce more fun into sandbox.

I would envision changing player experience in sandbox from:  Wilderness survivor has firmly established a base in a suitable shelter.  Survivor procures enough resources to go into hibernation for 100+ days.

To: Wilderness survivor has firmly established a base in a suitable shelter.  Survivor frequently ascends hill to procure renewable resource, then skis / sleds back down slope to return to base.  The rush of wind and turbulence of the descent provides thrill and variety to the survivor's routine.  Reward: spend less calories, less time to descend slope.  Risk: chance of wildlife encounter/object collision during ride.

Archived