Some ideas and a possible glitch

minuteman

So I've been playing a lot lately, and I have some thoughts and ideas. Bear with me, some of them have been discussed before.

1.  Lighters. Tons of people smoke, there would be Bic and Zippo lighters all over the place, especially in cars. They would for sure be in the little store in PL and the gas station in CH. There would be lighters in people's homes as well, like the "clicker" thing you'd use to light a candle, in addition to the other types of lighters. Obviously they'd be finite like the matches. Plus you'd be able to use a lighter for a small light source like a lit match, only it would last longer.

2. Candles. I know someone else mentioned this already, but seriously, in an environment like TLD, candles would be everywhere (especially if there were women around, my wife loves candles)! They could placed like the lantern, and held like the torch. They would last a long time, and provide a little heat, but would blow out in any wind.

3. Craftable bedrolls, in one of my early games I accidentally harvested the bedroll and there were no others around. I knew I could make one with bear pelts, but I had only one arrow with my bow and no way of crafting more. It could cost like 10 cloth or something. Or at the very least be able to sleep on the ground without a bedroll, or maybe a craftable blanket or something that would allow the player to sleep anywhere without the benefits of the bedroll or something. The bearskin bedroll is too difficult to get in my opinion, I have yet to successfully hunt a bear without getting mauled... Seriously, I hit him 3 times with my rifle by the time he got to me and mauled me, when he was walking away after the attack I hit him with an arrow, got mauled again, and after BARELY living through it all, I finally found his carcass.

4. Rifles that spawn with ammo, or ammo that spawns next to a rifle. This is more of a pet peeve. Who takes a rifle anywhere without ammo? Now, I have found rifles with a few rounds next to it, and that's fine, but I mostly find rifles with no ammo anywhere near it. I know this is probably done for balancing reasons, but still... Anytime I take my rifles anywhere there is ammo with me too!

5. Siphoning gas. The gas caps on some of the vehicles can come off, it would be cool to be able to siphon gas into a jerry can for use for the lantern or an accelerant. I know that car fuel is obviously different than kerosene or whatever the lantern uses, but it'd be a cool feature. 

6. Longer rifle range. I know that the range can be upgraded as the firearm skill increases. A rifle like that should be able to hit targets well out to 500 yards with a trained marksmen. I'm not saying that the average Joe would be able to shoot like that, but I do not think it is unreasonable to think that the average hunter could shoot a deer out to 100 yards or so, maybe 150 yards. Yet in the game, if you try to take shots like that nothing happens, no snow impact, nothing. Its like the bullet will just disappear after a certain distance. It seems like in the game the farthest I can take a shot where it actually hits is like 35-40 yards. The whole point of a rifle is so that you don't have to get close to your quarry.

7. Animals. I know there are some more animals coming as per the roadmap. This is great, I think more animals will be great. I don't really care what kind they are, however, I think there should be another type of animal that you could catch with the snare, like a squirrel or possum or something. 

8. A smoker. It would be great if you could build a smoker around a fire to smoke fish/meat to reduce the decay rate.

9. New safe house types. Like wouldn't it be cool if on CH or DP on the road was an abandoned RV? The owners would've left after the main aurora thing and it could serve as a temporary base with a bed, storage, and a little stove or something? But it would have more insulation against the cold than a normal car or tent or whatever. It could even be simpler like a makeshift small living space in a full size van or small box truck or something. It could even be a boat on CH or DP. Like a sailboat or yacht or something that the owners left. It would also be cool to stumble across some sort of shelter that someone else would have created and abandoned like in a shipping container, or ever in a forest or something like an igloo or a larger snow shelter, or a like a lean-to made of sticks/logs and branches and stuff. I think a more urban area like all the building in CH and ML combined to make like a sort of trading post or small abandoned village or something. There are a few regions with one or less buildings, like FM, TWM, even DP, they should make at least one region that has a lot of buildings. I find that I like exploring the buildings and imagining what the family was like that lived there, or why they left, and where they are now, urban decay in general I find fascinating and it usually makes for a great setting.

10. Messages. When I played TWM the first time and found the note/map on the work table I thought it was so cool! I would love more stuff like that! Or even messages written in areas that many people would see, like the messages in Left 4 Dead safe rooms. That kind of thing adds a whole new dimension into game play! Especially considering everyone else is nowhere to be seen.

Let me know what you think!

I've noticed a possible glitch. Three times in a row now when I enter a struggle with a bear or wolf while holding a weapon, when the encounter is over, my weapon is gone. I know that if you're holding something when an animal attacks you drop whatever you're holding, but when you get back up you usually find it laying next to you. If I'm holding a torch or flare when it happens, those are still there. But not the bow or rifle. They are not on the ground next to me, not on the ground around me, they are GONE. I searched and searched, moving around slowly so the dot/crosshair might cross over it, but nothing, all three times (once with the bow, and twice with the rifle), they completely disappear. Has this happened to anyone else?

Archived